Gold Rush Run 2012 - Part 1: Snake Lake & Poker Flat

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
About an hour north of Lake Tahoe and deep into the Sierra Nevada Mountains, the northern most stretch of Highway 49, also known as the Mother Lode, crosses through an area containing more than 45 glacier carved lakes, and because of it, has been given the name, Lakes Basin. Crowned with an ancient volcanic peak known as the Sierra Buttes, this area was once buzzing with activity and populated with thousands of miners trying to strike it rich. Of course today, about the only thing buzzing around are mosquitos. Thanks to its remote location and being in a county that has one of the lowest populations in the state, the Lakes Basin is a perfect place to get away from it all and explore California's rich history in a way that might have resembled what it was like over 150 years ago.

For our Gold Rush Run, we decided to explore the short but difficult rated Snake Lake Trail which is located on the eastern edge of Gold Valley and then circled around down and out west on the Mother Lode Highway until we reached the historic town of Downieville. From there, we headed on a long journey north and off pavement to the old mining town of Poker Flat and eventually, La Porte before calling it a day. Here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

After gasing up in Sierra City, we turned off the Mother Lode Highway and stopped to take a shot of Rubicat with the beautiful Sierra Buttes towering in the background...
main.php

main.php

Turning onto the Gold Lake Trail which leads to Snake Lake - It's pretty cool as this is a designated difficult rated OHV camping trail...
main.php

Turning onto the Snake Lake Trail. It's hard to believe that there were 10-20 foot snowdrifts blocking the trail this time last year...
main.php

The first part of the trail is all easy stuff - here we're coming around the first of three bodies of water along the way - Oakland Pond...
main.php

From here, the trail gets a bit more technical...
main.php

Getting ready to drop down off the ridge into Snake Lake...
main.php

Heading on down. You can't tell from the pic but this is a really steep section of trail with loose rocks under foot. There are a couple of technical sections along the way too...
main.php

main.php

Circling around and working our way up to Little Deer Lake...
main.php

Our lunch stop for the day - Little Deer Lake...
main.php

View looking across this pretty lake...
main.php

After lunch, we worked our way back to Highway 49 and headed west to Downieville where every street and bridge is pretty much just wide enough for one vehicle and you have to wait your turn to go by...
main.php

Heading north out of Downieville, we started our longest stretch of trail and made our first stop over at the Saddleback Lookout tower...
main.php

If you can believe it, this lookout tower is still manned and very much in use today...
main.php

Working our way around the mountain, you can see the Sierra Buttes out in the distance...
main.php

After a hell of a long and dusty ride across really narrow shelf roads and thick forests, we finally made it to our destination, Poker Flat...
main.php

Established back in the 1850's, Poker Flat once had as many as 400 miners living in this town. Today, all that remains is the old Scott home which was built in 1886 and just barely at that...
main.php

main.php

The trail leading up and out of Poker Flat is extremely steep and deeply worn into the mountain side. At times, you literally feel as if you're in some kind of flume...
main.php

Up on top of the northern ridge, we stopped over at the old Potosi Cemetery which, being so deep in the forest and really far from anything, was way creepy cool...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Moving along, we stopped to check out some of the old cabins still standing over at Howland Flat...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The wildflowers were really in bloom out here...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Another miners cabin still standing...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

It's hard to imagine but, there are cabins in the area that are still owned with mining claims that are still active...
main.php

On our final push to La Porte, we came across the old and beautiful, St. Louis bridge which was built back in 1913. It's far from safe to cross these days and so a modern replacement bridge had been built right next to it...
main.php

main.php

main.php

By the time we got off the trail, it was almost 8:30 PM and with the sun just starting to set. With almost a 4 hour drive to get back to South Lake Tahoe - doorless and topless, we decided to call it a day and head on back.

I hope you enjoyed following us on our recent Gold Rush Run and, if you would like to see all the pics that we took on it, simply click on the link below:

Gold Rush Run 2012: Snake Lake & Poker Flat Photo Gallery

:cool:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Nice pics. I've mountain biked Downieville several times, never knew about these trails. I will have to check them out!

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Wow, that was a really cool trip.:thumb: We absolutely love exploring like that. Just to get away from everything and see history in the middle of nowhere is so much fun!

huck271

Nice pics guys.. I love that area. Did you hear the banjos in background at Poker Flat. When I was there last, I swear I could hear Banjos just like on Deliverance.. :) Super Creepy place if your out by yourself. I also love the sign, which may not be there anymore that say "No Cell Service, No Tow Service, Proceed at your own risk" located right before you drop down to go to the Poker Flat picnic area. Its priceless...

Huck:eek:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, I had been meaing to chime in sooner but our internet access up in Tahoe was really bad. Anyway, I'm glad to see you guys have been enjoying our trips and pics. :yup:

Nice trip!!
I like the rounded head stones at the cemetery.

I've been told that they were made to resemble slot machines of the day. Apparently, it was a symbol of success or, making it big at the time. Pretty neat stuff.

Nice pics guys.. I love that area. Did you hear the banjos in background at Poker Flat. When I was there last, I swear I could hear Banjos just like on Deliverance.. :) Super Creepy place if your out by yourself. I also love the sign, which may not be there anymore that say "No Cell Service, No Tow Service, Proceed at your own risk" located right before you drop down to go to the Poker Flat picnic area. Its priceless...

Huck:eek:

LOL!! yep, that sign is still there and as you start making the long steep descent into the valley, it does give you pause. :crazyeyes:

Great pics! My wife and I live right down the way in Nevada City. We are camping at upper Sardine, and Snake lake this wknd. How long does it take to get out to Snake? Which shelf trail did you take to the Butte lookout? Any info is appreciated!:thumb:

the snake lake trailhead is only about 15 min from the sardine lakes. the trail itself is relatively short and you can probably do it in about 2-3 hours or less if you don't make any stops. when we went, we came in through gold lake but, we've also gone up to the buttes from sierra city and from packers lake.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the headstones liked like a old cash register
Cool stuff, thanks

i think frank had mentioned as much too and yeah, they really do. what's sad is when you look at these headstones, you start to realize that so many of them are for children. i can only imagine how hard life was back then.

Trail Bud

Hooked
i think frank had mentioned as much too and yeah, they really do. what's sad is when you look at these headstones, you start to realize that so many of them are for children. i can only imagine how hard life was back then.

Even their wealth couldnt save their kids. Your right it was good, but it was still a hard life.
We have it so easy

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even their wealth couldnt save their kids. Your right it was good, but it was still a hard life.
We have it so easy

honestly, i don't even know if they were wealthy. i think the headstones were more a symbol of how much they cherrished their loved ones than anything.

Top Bottom