2009 overheating issue

jay_pick1980

I took my jeep out for the first time since I bought it and got maybe 20 minutes into the hills and I get a HOT OIL warning on the dash and the dinging that goes with it. The oil was just recently changed. Has anyone else ran into this or know what I can check to keep it from happening again? Only had problems with overheating in 4X4. Thanks for any help you can provide!

GCM 2

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
as mentioned, a cooler will essentially fix the problem but, what also helps is to make sure that you are in a low gear when climbing hills. stick it in 2nd or 1st when climbing and, if you're off roading, put it in low range. this will help prevent a hot oil light from coming on even without a cooler.

Serg5000

wayoflife said:
as mentioned, a cooler will essentially fix the problem but, what also helps is to make sure that you are in a low gear when climbing hills. stick it in 2nd or 1st when climbing and, if you're off roading, put it in low range. this will help prevent a hot oil light from coming on even without a cooler.

This is so true. I had the warning when I first got our jeep. After taking this advice, I haven't had this happen anymore. And no I don't have an aftermarket cooler.

i just finished my trans cooler this evening just a couple questions remain....

before the cooler, every time i got the "hot oil" light my engine temp would start to overheat...should this problem now be fixed with the new cooler installed, i have fresh engine oil and coolant has been recently flushed and the dealer is doing my trans service tomorrow.

before the cooler, even running in low range or running 1st and 2nd gear with o/d off or any combination of gearing i could run i still got "hot oil" light." should this be fixed with the new added cooler?

thank you, any help is appreciated!!:thumb:

GCM 2

i just finished my trans cooler this evening just a couple questions remain....

before the cooler, every time i got the "hot oil" light my engine temp would start to overheat...should this problem now be fixed with the new cooler installed, i have fresh engine oil and coolant has been recently flushed and the dealer is doing my trans service tomorrow.

before the cooler, even running in low range or running 1st and 2nd gear with o/d off or any combination of gearing i could run i still got "hot oil" light." should this be fixed with the new added cooler?

thank you, any help is appreciated!!:thumb:

It should be the fix. Since I added my trans cooler over three years ago, I have never had my light come on again.

It should be the fix. Since I added my trans cooler over three years ago, I have never had my light come on again.

well the "hot oil" light is fixed with the trans cooler but my JK is still overheating with regular driving. i couldn't even go up a simple hill on the freeway without it wanting to overheat today... any ideas?
btw i have new coolant, new oil, transmission service done at Jeep dealer today....and i tried driving with o/d on and o/d off, that made no difference

GCM 2

well the "hot oil" light is fixed with the trans cooler but my JK is still overheating with regular driving. i couldn't even go up a simple hill on the freeway without it wanting to overheat today... any ideas?
btw i have new coolant, new oil, transmission service done at Jeep dealer today....and i tried driving with o/d on and o/d off, that made no difference

Is your electric fan kicking on? If its not, that may be your issue. If it is turning on and you have a Superchips Flashpaq tuner you can reprogram the fan to kick on at a lower temp like 208-210 degrees. Some other brands of tuners will also have this capability to reprogram the electric fan temp as well

The fan runs a lot, it's almost always on. We are checking thermostat, just got it to she shop so tomorrow is diagnosis day and hopefully get it fixed. It only overheats going up hills not any other time

Top Bottom