EVO High Clearance Prep

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

So I'm getting prepared for the EVO high clearance lift and rear coilovers installation. I currently have the Rubicon Express Long arm and I have to replace some parts that was replaced with the lift. The first part is the cross member was replaced with the lift. I'm wondering what is better, Finding a factory cross member or buying a poison spider aftermarket cross member? The second that I will have to replace is the rear trac bar mount and trac bar. I'm thinking of the weld on Synergy mount and Currie adjustable trac bar. There is also the Synergy bolt on but not sure if it would hold up. I sure I have other issues that I havent identified yet!!!

One other question. I noticed that Eddie said yesterday his rig is set at 4". Is the normal lift 4" or 4.5"? (stupid question)

Any recommendations would help me out.

GCM 2

Crossmember- don't waste your time or your money with the factory replacement, just go big! Buy the Poison Spider HD, it's what EVO what upgrade you to anyway.

Lift- it has been debated on here before, some forum members have used the fine art of a higher education, science, theorems, witchcraft, and reading chicken bones tossed into a circle of dancing Haitians refugees. All I know is that my garage opening is 83" high, my jeep with a 3" Teraflex lift on 35" KM2's drove into this opening and still had 4" of clearance left, then after my double throw down (dialed in really low on the coilovers) on 40" Nittos, clears the same 83" garage opening with 2" of clearance left. I feel fairly confident that my jeep is sits at what would be a traditional 4-4.5" coil spring lift.

ttfhell

Crossmember- don't waste your time or your money with the factory replacement, just go big! Buy the Poison Spider HD, it's what EVO what upgrade you to anyway.

Lift- it has been debated on here before, some forum members have used the fine art of a higher education, science, theorems, witchcraft, and reading chicken bones tossed into a circle of dancing Haitians refugees. All I know is that my garage opening is 83" high, my jeep with a 3" Teraflex lift on 35" KM2's drove into this opening and still had 4" of clearance left, then after my double throw down (dialed in really low on the coilovers) on 40" Nittos, clears the same 83" garage opening with 2" of clearance left. I feel fairly confident that my jeep is sits at what would be a traditional 4-4.5" coil spring lift.

No really, I'm curious how much lift do you have? I'm serious. I'll probably ask you nine times in this thread cause I really want to know. Cause I only have 3.14326" there is no way you have a 4.5". Closer to 7.33333" probably.

JK's JK

Banned

**EDIT**

I appreciate your response GCM 2. Good to hear that I would have to go to the upgraded cross member anyways. I've been worried about adding additional weight. Still have the EVO corners and tire carrier....So much weight!!!

Thank you for the rid height discussion. Trying to decide what I'm going to run when I get the lift.

You have any recommendations on the rear trac bar mount? I figure weld on is the way to go. Going to have EVO weld it on while installing the lift.

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
No really, I'm curious how much lift do you have? I'm serious. I'll probably ask you nine times in this thread cause I really want to know. Cause I only have 3.14326" there is no way you have a 4.5". Closer to 7.33333" probably.

You get that to the gnats ass :cheesy::cheesy:

I bought the PS HD crossmember when I went to the EVO long arms and bolt on CO's this past summer. I did all the work myself and in the process, I found I couldn't get the PS crossmember in after the fact. I would be happy to part with it! I wish I could have made it work (and probably could but just one guy, its really hard). Hows a $100 plus shipping (from Utah)?

GCM 2

Ahhhhh, rtguy1 :doh:

GCM 2

**EDIT**

I appreciate your response GCM 2. Good to hear that I would have to go to the upgraded cross member anyways. I've been worried about adding additional weight. Still have the EVO corners and tire carrier....So much weight!!!

Thank you for the rid height discussion. Trying to decide what I'm going to run when I get the lift.

You have any recommendations on the rear trac bar mount? I figure weld on is the way to go. Going to have EVO weld it on while installing the lift.

Weld that trac bar mount on and call it a day! That PS crossmember is worth the extra added weight! Moby is running one, and as you can see here in this photo taken just two nights before this year's King of the Hammers, EVO1 is running a Poison Spider crossmember

image-1345317642.jpg

JK's JK

Banned
I bought the PS HD crossmember when I went to the EVO long arms and bolt on CO's this past summer. I did all the work myself and in the process, I found I couldn't get the PS crossmember in after the fact. I would be happy to part with it! I wish I could have made it work (and probably could but just one guy, its really hard). Hows a $100 plus shipping (from Utah)?

I'll think about it. Was it the weld on EVO brackets interfered with the cross member?

I'll think about it. Was it the weld on EVO brackets interfered with the cross member?

I decided to bolt the brackets on and then weld them too. Once I had them in place, I couldn't get the bolts out to put the crossmember in place. With no lift, all by myself, trying to get things back together for a planned trip to Moab, I had to put it on hold. Now, not sure I want to dig back into it.

JK's JK

Banned
Weld that trac bar mount on and call it a day! That PS crossmember is worth the extra added weight! Moby is running one, and as you can see here in this photo taken just two nights before this year's King of the Hammers, EVO1 is running a Poison Spider crossmember

View attachment 70742

Spending the 200 is well worth the money. I remember BONDSY buying Full traction cross member protection and then he got rid of that and made his own. Looking at the difference between the factory and the Poison spider is a world of difference.

Thanks GCM.

**EDIT**

Noticed the transfer case skid is off and noticed there are different skids along with cross members. Do you know if those are custom?

Last edited:

GCM 2

Just taking a guess at a common problem that occurs when doing any type of frame work with basically the entire load of the vehicle still on it; When cutting away or unbolting a crossmember that is an integral part of a frames strength, you need to take into account that the frame can be under quite a bit of tension. When that piece helping to keep the frame 'located' in a specific position is removed, the frame can bow inward (or outward) and will make replacing that piece difficult or even impossible to accomplish. Many times it's as easy as using a sledge hammer to coax a piece back into position. Other times it could take spreader jacks to either push or pull the frame.

It wasn't so much the bowing in of the frame. It was the angle of the two bolts that tie the brackets to the crossmember. I couldn't get them back out.

I rethinking things, I had a blast doing the work myself. I know my jeep pretty intimately.BUT... If I were to do it again, I would trailer it down to Mel's shop and have them do the work! They are the masters!!

JK's JK

Banned
It wasn't so much the bowing in of the frame. It was the angle of the two bolts that tie the brackets to the crossmember. I couldn't get them back out.

I rethinking things, I had a blast doing the work myself. I know my jeep pretty intimately.BUT... If I were to do it again, I would trailer it down to Mel's shop and have them do the work! They are the masters!!

I plan to hand them a bunch of parts and say.....Here you go. My wife is going to kill me with the cost!!! :naw:

Top Bottom