Pros and cons to genright tire carrier?

Christarp

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you all thought of the genright tire carrier. I really like the look of the genrights, and as such I like the look of the evo tire carriers as well. I've come up with a list of things that I've found online comparing the evo and genright carriers but I'd like some additional input on the whole situation.

Pros of genright:
Keep stock tail lights
Can be had for cheaper than evo carrier

Cons of genright
Mounting looks weaker but I can't confirm this and have no hard evidence

Pros of evo
Extremely strong looking
Slightly better looking in my opinion, I like the wider look that wraps further around
Johnny joints at all mounting points (is this a big deal?)

Cons of evo
Expensive
Must use rock skins and replace tail lights with round (not a big fan of the round tail lights look, but I like the rock skins)
It looks like the middle columns between the upper and lower portion of tubing on the outside could block the light from tail lights

Now, one thing I'm not sure of are rattles, does the genright rattle? Even the smallest rattles drive me nuts so I really don't want to get one or the other to find out they rattle even slightly. I'm almost 90% certain I want to go with the genright as the evo is simply out of my price range, but I really want to make sure there's no fatal flaw with the genright before pulling the trigger on it, and if there is some fatal flaw, is it big enough to warrant saving up for the evo?

Any other things I should consider? Thanks guys.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you all thought of the genright tire carrier. I really like the look of the genrights, and as such I like the look of the evo tire carriers as well. I've come up with a list of things that I've found online comparing the evo and genright carriers but I'd like some additional input on the whole situation.

Pros of genright:
Keep stock tail lights
Can be had for cheaper than evo carrier

Cons of genright
Mounting looks weaker but I can't confirm this and have no hard evidence

Pros of evo
Extremely strong looking
Slightly better looking in my opinion, I like the wider look that wraps further around
Johnny joints at all mounting points (is this a big deal?)

Cons of evo
Expensive
Must use rock skins and replace tail lights with round (not a big fan of the round tail lights look, but I like the rock skins)
It looks like the middle columns between the upper and lower portion of tubing on the outside could block the light from tail lights

Now, one thing I'm not sure of are rattles, does the genright rattle? Even the smallest rattles drive me nuts so I really don't want to get one or the other to find out they rattle even slightly. I'm almost 90% certain I want to go with the genright as the evo is simply out of my price range, but I really want to make sure there's no fatal flaw with the genright before pulling the trigger on it, and if there is some fatal flaw, is it big enough to warrant saving up for the evo?

Any other things I should consider? Thanks guys.

I played with a couple of genrights last Friday night and no rattles. Your pros and cons are pretty much same as mine. My buddy working there and the price may persuade me. The biggest deal to me, I plan on running 35's for at least a lil while. They look funny in the evo carrier. (My opinion). They look less funny, small, in the genright carrier. I can ask my buddy any questions you have and get you an honest no salesman answer. I'm sure I offered nothing to help you haha we have the same concerns. My biggest concern is not seeing genrights stuff in action. We have all pretty much seen evo stuff take a beating, look good taking it, and asking for more.

Christarp

I played with a couple of genrights last Friday night and no rattles. Your pros and cons are pretty much same as mine. My buddy working there and the price may persuade me. The biggest deal to me, I plan on running 35's for at least a lil while. They look funny in the evo carrier. (My opinion). They look less funny, small, in the genright carrier. I can ask my buddy any questions you have and get you an honest no salesman answer. I'm sure I offered nothing to help you haha we have the same concerns. My biggest concern is not seeing genrights stuff in action. We have all pretty much seen evo stuff take a beating, look good taking it, and asking for more.

Ah good point on the 35s, I've got 35s as well right now and yeah now that I think about it they probably do look funny in the evo, but I definitely want to go up to 37s at some point, maybe even 40s, but that means taking things to a whole new level hah, snd thatll be a fairly long way away.

DKronk42

Have you considered the orfab carrier? Or are you only interested in the carriers that hold the tire internally?

bl17z90

I think JK Flyer has the evo carrier with 35's and it doesn't look too bad tk me but i could be wrong.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
35's look ok on the evo carrier if you run a rear bumper. Fills in the lower gap. But sounds like you'd be happier with the gen right carrier. Being that you don't like the round tail lights. I wasn't super fond of the round lights at first either, but I couldn't stand the license plate or tail lights sticking out. So I ordered some evo corners. The Northridge discount saved a lot of money.

nicholsmf

I have no experience with the EVO carrier but the Genright, in my opinion, is flawless. 100% rattle free and very strong. Plus, the aluminum version is very, very light weight!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

quit staring

I installed the genright a few months ago and I love it so far. I went to Rausch once and it didn't make a sound. on the road over bumps it's rattle free as well. I'm currently holding a 37" ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393369624.941629.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393369650.667862.jpg

StrizzyChris

35's look ok on the evo carrier if you run a rear bumper. Fills in the lower gap.

olram is dead on! I LOVE the EVO carrier and skins, but am leaning towards the Genright carrier due to cost and not running skins. I thought 35's with the EVO carrier looked silly the first time I saw it on a guys rig with d-rings and no rear bumper. Then I saw one with a stock rear bumper and it looked great. Dont let the 35's sway your answer if aesthetics are a concern.

Christarp

olram is dead on! I LOVE the EVO carrier and skins, but am leaning towards the Genright carrier due to cost and not running skins. I thought 35's with the EVO carrier looked silly the first time I saw it on a guys rig with d-rings and no rear bumper. Then I saw one with a stock rear bumper and it looked great. Dont let the 35's sway your answer if aesthetics are a concern.

well to be honest it's more than aesthetics. Price is my biggest concern, good to hear that the genright seems to be completely rattle free!

mrmet1983

I have the genrite aluminum TC and love it , I've got a 37 trail grap on it and not a peep

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Serg5000

I have had my aluminum GenRight TC for about a year now. It is rattle free. I wanted the EVO TC but did not want skins. So far my TC has been great. I have a Toyo 37''x13.50"x17" tire on it and its doing great.

The con was not having a way to mount a RotopaX fuel tank on it but I found a solution. The GenRight guys were great in assisting me come up with a solution.

Rooster jk

I have the steel genright carrier and love it.....but my pins do rattle. Well atleast my bottom pin does.... The top one is tight while the bottom one is loose....any fixes?

JKFlyer

I think JK Flyer has the evo carrier with 35's and it doesn't look too bad tk me but i could be wrong.

35s look sick in evo just as much as any other tire IMO

It still fills it nice BC its not so much width that a bigger tire fills but more out the bottom which is kind of irrelevant

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1393381314317.jpg
    1393381314317.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 1393381328599.jpg
    1393381328599.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 288

JKFlyer

True...I have a rear bumper so it does fill that space

BTW, no rattles at all on evo

Truth...u can't go wrong either way

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Holeshot

Banned
I run mine for almost a year now, and no rattle so far. Very strong, I can stand on it to wash the top with no worry. Not looking silly with 35's. No regrets so far.

1001109_10151794364133416_99237683_n.jpg

Christarp

Do you guys think the genright would stand up to high speeds in the sand? That's most of what my wheeling is, with a few trail runs up in the mountains, but for the most part I'm on the dunes going as fast as I feel comfortable with stock axles.

Top Bottom