Rear d44 about to grenade!

Hooligan

Pulled the cover to further investigate the metal fragments found when I changed the fluid.
1393344612458.jpg 1393344686735.jpg 1393344736967.jpg

Every tooth on both ends of that center pc is chipped. Im guessing thats the part of lsd .

When i turn a wheel the other one does not turn. If i move the left wheel back and fwd quickly theres some play on that side.

I know nothing about diffs so before I get hosed at a shop would like an idea of whats busted here. :(
Thanks as always.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those would be your spider gears. For the amount of work it would take to pull apart and replace, I might recommend that you use the opportunity to just get a locker installed. If you haven't already regeared, I might do that now too as the labor would be the same. Otherwise, it might be cheaper to just replace the whole carrier. You might even be able to find a free one on the forum.

Hooligan,

I see you're in ontario! as am i and i just had my rear 44 rebuilt under warrenty free because i bent my shafts (it helps to know people)

I have all those gears from mine in perfect shape if you want them if you can have cash for a locker you can take them and get them installed or do it yourself it isnt hard...

just thought i would offer! :)

Hooligan

Hooligan,

I see you're in ontario! as am i and i just had my rear 44 rebuilt under warrenty free because i bent my shafts (it helps to know people)

I have all those gears from mine in perfect shape if you want them if you can have cash for a locker you can take them and get them installed or do it yourself it isnt hard...

just thought i would offer! :)

Cool.im in milton. This is a 4:10 what gears do you have? Also the factory build sheet shows lsd..strange. If i turn a wheel with more force the other side does start to spin but in the other direction. Turn it slow and it does not engage.

Also what would cause this to happen?

Can it still be driven like this..not safe right? Doesnt make any noise but i do get driveline vibration under load.

Too cold to be playing around with this stuff.

Buddy im on highway 6 Flamborough, like 20 minutes my girlfriend lives up on old school line in milton were close!! surpised i havent seen your jeep around!

Your build sheet is a lie then...

gear ratio doesnt matter when talking about spider gears that has to do with ring and pinion which look fine!

Removed old oil and any depris use a can or two of break clean to clean it all up put cover on and fresh oil and youll be ok until its fixed IMO...

Caused by excessive wheel spin! burn outs, spinning in snow, mud, rocks, because you do not have a locker or lsd... those gears get going damn fast!

If you had an LSD when turning the driver tire in the forward rotation (off the ground) the passenger tire also off the ground would sping the same direction... OR maybe you have LSD but its worn out from exsessive wheel spin you killed it! haha could be possible

I have a full heated shop we can check it out if you want gotta squeeze it in between times when the other 2 JKU arnt in getting built got three on the go!

ill PM you my cell

Cheers
Steve

mattfl

Buddy im on highway 6 Flamborough, like 20 minutes my girlfriend lives up on old school line in milton were close!! surpised i havent seen your jeep around!

Cheers
Steve

Completely off topic here but I used to live offa highway 8 in west flamborough, down the street from beverly golf and country club. Where'd you goto high school at?

HAHA yeah i know the area damn its a small world! got even smaller when i used to travelf or work after college!

I went to Highland

mattfl

HAHA yeah i know the area damn its a small world! got even smaller when i used to travelf or work after college!

I went to Highland

Ah, I went to Parkside, only time I was over at Highland was for basketball games. If you ever go that way, right before you get to the big church on the lefthand side, that little white house that is literally 5 feet from the road is where I grew up :)

haha thats sweet yup i know the area i bet we know a lot of the same people! i was suppose to go to parkside they didnt have automotive or welding though and i became a welding engineer so i can fab all my jeep junk! :)

Hooligan

Your build sheet is a lie then...

gear ratio doesnt matter when talking about spider gears that has to do with ring and pinion which look fine!

Removed old oil and any depris use a can or two of break clean to clean it all up put cover on and fresh oil and youll be ok until its fixed IMO...

Caused by excessive wheel spin! burn outs, spinning in snow, mud, rocks, because you do not have a locker or lsd... those gears get going damn fast!

If you had an LSD when turning the driver tire in the forward rotation (off the ground) the passenger tire also off the ground would sping the same direction... OR maybe you have LSD but its worn out from exsessive wheel spin you killed it! haha could be possible

I have a full heated shop we can check it out if you want gotta squeeze it in between times when the other 2 JKU arnt in getting built got three on the go!

ill PM you my cell

Cheers
Steve

Thanks so much Steve. Ill give you a call.

mattfl

haha thats sweet yup i know the area i bet we know a lot of the same people! i was suppose to go to parkside they didnt have automotive or welding though and i became a welding engineer so i can fab all my jeep junk! :)

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

kaptkrappy

Also there is no LSD there its just a regular open diff so the one wheel spinning and vice versa is normal...

Cool.im in milton. This is a 4:10 what gears do you have? Also the factory build sheet shows lsd..strange. If i turn a wheel with more force the other side does start to spin but in the other direction. Turn it slow and it does not engage.

Also what would cause this to happen?

Can it still be driven like this..not safe right? Doesnt make any noise but i do get driveline vibration under load.

Too cold to be playing around with this stuff.

That is an LSD.

I have one and that's what they look like.

It's probably just fubared and the clutches are worn out and has metal shavings floating around in there.

There are complete re-build kits for them, new spiders, pin, and clutches. They are a little pricey (about $300.00 +/- in the lower 48) if you can find one north of the border.

Last edited:
Haha yeah your before my time in highschool!! But not much has changed around here small town out that way still yet water down is massive now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooligan

1394052467627.jpg
Took carrier apart. The trac-lok clutches had worn away leaving the spider gears loosey goosey. Pinion gear and ring are still good. I replaced the trac-lok with new dana clutch packs and replaced the spider gears. It's really tight in there now. It was hard work rebuilding the trac-lok due to the clutch plate pressure -anyone who's done one will know what I mean.
Big thanks to Steve for his spare gears and advice.
:beer:

Top Bottom