Camber or bent?

2trackin

So I pulled into my driveway yesterday from work where I had my jk parked facing the road. It's usually parked in the garage. Anyhow put up to it. Admiring the boldness of the beast and it looks like a have slight camber to the wheels. Just enough to be noticeable and appearing to be even on both sides. I should have taken a picture. I recently welded inner c gussets and did so in a manner to reduce chances of any warpage. Honestly I haven't really stared at the front of the Jeep in an open area like that since it's been built. So I can't tell if it was always this way or not.
I'm in the process of trying to find a good alignment shop in my area that can do one with my beadlocks. My normal go to place cannot. Currently a have a little pull to the right. And if I can recall it's been this way since the lift. I don't do much driving on road as its primarily an offroad rig.
Specs as follows
2014 Rubicon 2 door
Stock axles
3.5" RK max travel lift
37" toyos on ATX slabs
Does the front axle naturally have a little camber and the larger tires just make it a little more apparent. Like I said it's hardly noticeable and maybe I'm just losing my mind all together. Lol
I'll try and snap a pic later on today when I get home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see you're running 37's - your axle is most likely bent. But, it could also be your unit bearings. If they are bad, they will cause a bit of camber too.

2trackin

I only have 4k miles on the Jeep. Been wheeling once before gussets. And it was in the snow. I really haven't done much wheeling at all. Winter here in Michigan has been pretty brutal this year.

Moochie

I only have 4k miles on the Jeep. Been wheeling once before gussets. And it was in the snow. I really haven't done much wheeling at all. Winter here in Michigan has been pretty brutal this year.

Not saying your C's are bent but, with 37's you can bend them just by driving on the highway.

2trackin

What he said ^^^. Running 37's without C's can bend them without going off road.

Ugh. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. I had bought an Artec truss as well. But with such mixed reviews and the fact that the thing is like a Freakin jigsaw puzzle i opted out of using it. So it sits in the garage. I'm going to get my alignment done and see how it actually specs out.

Moochie

Ugh. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. I had bought an Artec truss as well. But with such mixed reviews and the fact that the thing is like a Freakin jigsaw puzzle i opted out of using it. So it sits in the garage. I'm going to get my alignment done and see how it actually specs out.

If they are bent you can get some offset ball joints to bring it back to spec. Then again, just live with it until you do an axle upgrade.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, at this point and time, I would just run what you have until you can afford to get a ProRock 44. Having a slightly bent axle or a bit of camber on your wheels isn't the end of the world. Hell, I ran like that for over 65,000 miles until I got bad enough to cause a seal leak. At that point and time, I upgraded. :yup:

2trackin

Honestly, at this point and time, I would just run what you have until you can afford to get a ProRock 44. Having a slightly bent axle or a bit of camber on your wheels isn't the end of the world. Hell, I ran like that for over 65,000 miles until I got bad enough to cause a seal leak. At that point and time, I upgraded. :yup:

Lol. Right on. I'm glad your the type of guy that understands that some people don't just have a few grand to throw at an axle. When I get home today I'm going to take a couple pics and get her in the air to do some inspecting.
Anyone have the factory alignment specs off hand?

utiadam

LOSER
Now I'm getting a little worried. I have the Evo C gussets and lower control arm skids coming this week. I've only done 1 trail so far but it was stock height and tires which gave me a beating on the rocks. I hope the Cs aren't gonna be too late.

StrizzyChris

Now I'm getting a little worried. I have the Evo C gussets and lower control arm skids coming this week. I've only done 1 trail so far but it was stock height and tires which gave me a beating on the rocks. I hope the Cs aren't gonna be too late.

As mentioned above, a SLIGHT bend is not THAT big of a deal but, gussets should be installed with any oversized tire asap. With my 2013 JKUR, I had the EVO gussets installed within a week of purchase prior to the 35's going on.

904Jeep

If the OP really wanted to correct for the camber, couldn't he just get a set of adjustable or off set ball joints to correct for damage that has already been done to the C's? I know they are limited in the amount of correction you can gain.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If the OP really wanted to correct for the camber, couldn't he just get a set of adjustable or off set ball joints to correct for damage that has already been done to the C's? I know they are limited in the amount of correction you can gain.

Yup, that's what Moochie said back on post #8. But really, I don't even know if it's worth it.

optimus prime

Drive your jeep forward 6 feet and check it again. When you back your jeep up into a spot, in some instances the wheels tend to flail out ( heal out ) giving the elusion that the "C's " are bent. Check the easy things first.

2trackin

Drive your jeep forward 6 feet and check it again. When you back your jeep up into a spot, in some instances the wheels tend to flail out ( heal out ) giving the elusion that the "C's " are bent. Check the easy things first.

That would be awesome! I have an alignment appointment today anyhow, I hadn't had one done since the lift install. I usually just do them myself and have always been within spec when throwing up on a rack. My jeeps are never my daily driver so alignment isn't that big of a deal to me unless its pulling one way or another enough to bother me

2trackin

Here's the outcome of the check on the rack. No adjustments were made. I got there a little late. And was told everything was pretty good. But what I didn't pay attention to right away because there is no spec shown for rear. The rear toe is a bit odd. Maybe that's why I'm getting a pull or should a say push to the right?

Attachments

• 1393461915405.jpg
    1393461915405.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 101

JayKay

Caught the Bug
The rear is not adjustable as far as toe and camber since it's a solid axle. As far as the front camber being out, it's not that far and I wouldn't worry about it since you're installing the gussets. By the time you see any drastic tire wear, it'll be time for new skins anyway.

In5ane1

My front passenger canber is -1.0 and apparently it came that way as I only have 9000 miles on it. Even though tolerance is up to -0.6 the dealer said not to worry biut it and that it would cause any tire wear.

Guess the question is....can you see a degree?

Top Bottom