Rubicat's first break

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Doh!! We were hoping to make it all the way through Tahoe without any breaks but, after 3 weeks of hitting the dirt almost every single day, I guess something had to give...

376333_10151005412483971_1236691871_n.jpg

Fortunately, it's not really a "break" as we caught it quickly enough and, is to a degree fixable but, I don't think we'll be wheeling with this as a primary shaft anymore.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
When your Jeep plays hard, so does your wallet. ;)

What's the path forward here? RCV's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When your Jeep plays hard, so does your wallet. ;)

What's the path forward here? RCV's?

i know they're all the rage and it's probably heresy for me to say but, honestly, i'm not a big fan of rcv's. i've run them before and they are good shafts but for the price, there's a lot of other things i'd rather get with the money i'd save by getting a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips instead. factory shafts use c-clips and that's why you see this problem so often. my other problem with rcv's is that cv joints are in fact really strong and really, too strong for my taste. i would prefer to have my u-joints fail than a shaft deep inside the axle tube or even a ring & pinion.

having said all that, i really don't want to throw any more money into our factory axles then is needed. we're trying to save up for a set of prorock 60's and hope to milk what we got until we can afford to do that.. so, for now, i will just replace what we have with another factory shaft. i will repair the one i have and just keep it as a spare.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
RCV shafts are super nice. I love mine. But I got mine used with about 2k miles on them from a guy who went to a Spintec hub conversion and a PR44 and needed new RCV shafts for that setup, and I got them for half what they cost new, which is still full price for good chromoly front shafts with full circle u joints.

Hightower

i know they're all the rage and it's probably heresy for me to say but, honestly, i'm not a big fan of rcv's. i've run them before and they are good shafts but for the price, there's a lot of other things i'd rather get with the money i'd save by getting a good set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips instead. factory shafts use c-clips and that's why you see this problem so often. my other problem with rcv's is that cv joints are in fact really strong and really, too strong for my taste. i would prefer to have my u-joints fail than a shaft deep inside the axle tube or even a ring & pinion.

having said all that, i really don't want to throw any more money into our factory axles then is needed. we're trying to save up for a set of prorock 60's and hope to milk what we got until we can afford to do that.. so, for now, i will just replace what we have with another factory shaft. i will repair the one i have and just keep it as a spare.

As I was reading I new PR60's where going to come up.:clap2: If it was possible with out costing more$$$ would you go 80's on Moby and put Moby's 60":s on RubiCat?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I was reading I new PR60's where going to come up.:clap2: If it was possible with out costing more$$$ would you go 80's on Moby and put Moby's 60":s on RubiCat?

honestly, i don't know... i don't think so anyway. i've been real happy with our 60 and don't know if the added strength of an 80 is needed or worth the loss in ground clearance.

Serg5000

I'm glad it was something rather easy to repair. As you mentioned. A busted shaft would have sucked out on the trail. Seems you have a handle on things. As others mentioned. If there is anything we can do to help, let us know. Good luck and be safe.

StrizzyChris

An 80 is only about $2-300 more than a PR-60 but just as WOL stated you loose a slight amount of ground clearance( i believe 1 inch) and also expose the drive shaft to more abuse since its only availible in a Low pinion design. This allows for the gears to not be on the cost side like a HP but you have to choose your battle. Ground clearance or strength?! Oh and another badass feature is the 80 has 40 SPLINE AXLE SHAFTS!!!!:rock:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
An 80 is only about $2-300 more than a PR-60 but just as WOL stated you loose a slight amount of ground clearance( i believe 1 inch) and also expose the drive shaft to more abuse since its only availible in a Low pinion design. This allows for the gears to not be on the cost side like a HP but you have to choose your battle. Ground clearance or strength?! Oh and another badass feature is the 80 has 40 SPLINE AXLE SHAFTS!!!!:rock:

yeah, the 40 splines is something that is definitely nice. if anything, the only thing i really wish i had on our prorock 60's is 8 lug - something that wasn't offered back then. aside from that, we've been real happy with what we got especially now that we have a full float rear. at least, it seems to get the job done with our 40's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
with a BIG THANKS to off road evolution shipping for their speedy shipment, rubicat is whole again :thumb:

614945_10151009973223971_931911151_o.jpg

Top Bottom