Got T-Boned on the Freeway! WT*?

jelliott076

JK Beauty Mark 07-17-12.jpg

I was going to an appointment when some dingbat on a cell phone lost control of his POS Pontiac and basically t-boned my rear right wheel at about fifty miles per hour. The Pontiac bounced off like he'd hit a brick wall:banghead:, I heard the impact but really didn't feel it. I have a couple of beauty marks on the rims and a pretty good gash in the tire. Everything else looks and feels fine. I'm planning to take is in tomorrow to have the guys at ORW give it a once over, but I think I'm good. Any concerns that I should look out for?:doh::mad:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Suck. Glad no one was hurt. Sounds like our were bumped into, not t-boned right?

I was t-boned on the same tire after I clipped a snow bank and was sitting perpendicular on the road when the guy behind me was watching the ski resort and not the road.

Check your axle housing for bending. My OEM 44 was toast along with the shaft.
Check your trackbar mounts, mine was bent on the frame side.
Check your control arm brackets and arms themselves, make sure none bent.
Inspect tire, wheel, and any other areas that that had any impact. My wheel was fine, but my tire took enough that it warranted replacement by the insurance company.

kaptkrappy

Glad you and your green monster are ok.

You should at least be getting a new wheel out of this (unless the others look like that).

Like LoPo said, check everything underneath, both sides, back and front.

Good luck.

jelliott076

Suck. Glad no one was hurt. Sounds like our were bumped into, not t-boned right?

I was t-boned on the same tire after I clipped a snow bank and was sitting perpendicular on the road when the guy behind me was watching the ski resort and not the road.

Check your axle housing for bending. My OEM 44 was toast along with the shaft.
Check your trackbar mounts, mine was bent on the frame side.
Check your control arm brackets and arms themselves, make sure none bent.
Inspect tire, wheel, and any other areas that that had any impact. My wheel was fine, but my tire took enough that it warranted replacement by the insurance company.

Thanks for the advice. Control arms look good, but the tire has some positive camber to it that I don't remember it having before. It drives fines, but I'm going to have the axles and brackets checked today.
And yeah he hit me straight on bumper to tire as if he'd run a red light. When the guy lost control he was all over the place, up on the right shoulder and then straight across the three lanes into me.

Thanks again.

Billabong

Glad you're ok. Hopefully the other guy has insurance and this shouldn't cost you a dime.

Guess he learned the hard way not to talk and drive. :doh:
I wish the police would crack down more on cell phone use while driving. I'm always amazed when I glance down at a passing car and see the driver texting away with both hands! :mad:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the advice. Control arms look good, but the tire has some positive camber to it that I don't remember it having before. It drives fines, but I'm going to have the axles and brackets checked today.
And yeah he hit me straight on bumper to tire as if he'd run a red light. When the guy lost control he was all over the place, up on the right shoulder and then straight across the three lanes into me.

Thanks again.

Yikes, that sounds pretty violent. Jeep held up well, cosmetically speaking then!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I would take it to a body shop, let them rack it. I would bet something is bent if you got hit that hard. It does not take may to bend the rear axle flange

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
wow, glad to hear you're okay. like chris said, i would get it checked out. just because you can't see anything doesn't mean something isn't bent or off.

Prime8

Gary Palms2Pines said:
T-Boned by a Pontiac at 50 mph?
With minimal damage like your photo shows.
Sorry, but this defies the laws of physics.

I think he meant side-swiped, not t-boned, which are very different things. Forward speed, 50 mph in this case, therefore plays little to no role in the outcome. It's only the much slower horizontal speed that would be a factor. In other words, he got clipped...

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Man that sucks. Wish people paid more attention when driving. I tell my wife all the time that I'm way more nervous driving the jeep "on the road" vs. offroading. Hope there isn't any major hidden damage.

Top Bottom