Synergy Flip Kit installation

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

I decided to get the Synergy Flip kit. I decided against the tappered sleeve since I have the tappered bit for drilling out the knuckle. Has anyone completed this task with the tappered bit? What are the issues that arrised and what tips could you offer me.

nbruno

Hi Guys,

I decided to get the Synergy Flip kit. I decided against the tappered sleeve since I have the tappered bit for drilling out the knuckle. Has anyone completed this task with the tappered bit? What are the issues that arrised and what tips could you offer me.

Be sure to use cutting oil, and find the slow drill speed that produces a cut and not a chipping action. Do not use a cordless drill, use a heavy duty 1/2" drill and of course be sure to keep your cut as straight as possible.

StrizzyChris

what bruno said. If you mess the hole up, youll have to buy a whole new knuckle. If you have access, and want to be sure that you do it right the first time...the best option is to remove the knuckle and take it to a drill press. clamp it tightly down to the table, use cutting oil and take your time! :thumb:

nbruno

what bruno said. If you mess the hole up, youll have to buy a whole new knuckle. If you have access, and want to be sure that you do it right the first time...the best option is to remove the knuckle and take it to a drill press. clamp it tightly down to the table, use cutting oil and take your time! :thumb:

Actually if he messes the hole up he can drill the taper out and use the Synergy 13/16" insert as a rescue, if its a really bad drill job 7/8" synergy insert. But be sure to follow same instructions and use a cobalt drill bit.

Elusive

if you have a nice tapered reamer I suggest cutting it by hand. Yes it's a bit of a work out and yes it takes a bit of time but the reamer lasts forever and the hole is usually perfect. I can cut a hole by hand in about 20 min with a beer break.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have the evo flip kit and have been pushing it off for the same drilling reason. I have read on a few different forums that 7/8 is what should be used since most of the time the when the 13/16 or whatever bit they call for, the insert doesnt actually fit.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've done the EVO kit twice. The drilling is not that bad. Just take your time and use some oil. A step bit helps, but isn't necessary.

Jerms

If you're worried about it, use some digital calipers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK's JK

Banned
Thank you guys for your input. You'll brought up some good ideas and brought to my attention some problems that could arise. I do however like the idea of pulling the knuckle off and using a drill press. I've watched some Youtube videos earlier today but havent come across a tappered drill video just yet. I'll wait for the equipment to come in and look at the instructions. Talk with Synergy to gain some insight on the tappered bit and how far down I should drill. The main concern I have is drillng the tapper to deep and then the tie rod end doesnt seat with wiggle. To be honest, laying in bed last night thinking about this, I should have just ordered up the EVO setup and called it good. I unfortunally did not listen to the voice in the back of my mind when ordering this up. :rolleyes2: Called Northridge4x4 if they sent it out and......Yes...... Northridge4x4 is on top send your product out. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
is the proper size 7/8?

I'll have to look to confirm what we used. MTG might be able to confirm off the top of his head because he ordered a bit when we did his. I can't remember if we used it on Meanst's Jeep, but my recollection is that we did not.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I used a normal bit for Meanst's install. On MTG's, we used what I call a "step bit" to start the hole. Once the hole was started then we moved to a regular bit. Maybe there is a different name for them. They are stepped like Egyptian pyramids; each step is a larger size bit. They give you a little more control but only work for certain depths of materials (about the distance of each step, otherwise you end up drilling too large of a diameter hole.)

Edit: step bits are not the same as a tapered reamer. A step bit looks like the so: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used a normal bit for Meanst's install. On MTG's, we used what I call a "step bit" to start the hole. Once the hole was started then we moved to a regular bit. Maybe there is a different name for them. They are stepped like Egyptian pyramids; each step is a larger size bit. They give you a little more control but only work for certain depths of materials (about the distance of each step, otherwise you end up drilling too large of a diameter hole.)

Edit: step bits are not the same as a tapered reamer. A step bit looks like the so: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html

Step bits are also referred to as "unibits". :yup:

noroad

I used a step bit with only one cutting side and the rest was smooth no rings just, used the skin one to go all they way down and then the fat on to open the top a hair more worked great with cutting oil! db2.jpg

JK's JK

Banned
I used a step bit with only one cutting side and the rest was smooth no rings just, used the skin one to go all they way down and then the fat on to open the top a hair more worked great with cutting oil! View attachment 71189

This is what I plan to use to tapper the drag link to the knuckle from the top. It just worries to have to drill the knuckle out completely and then insert a sleeve, which in my option seems to weaken the knuckle joint.

HLKSMSH

When I did mine I was not sure what way to go either then the kit cane in and I used the tappered bit. IMHO its a better fit if you look at the part you putting on the knuckle you will see it is tappered also. so I just thought it would fit a little more snug.

JK's JK

Banned

Stupid question. Did you use the step bit for the knuckle on the EVO flip kit? I thought the EVO flip kit came with a stock drag link.

Top Bottom