Rear drive shaft advice

Sugarbear

So I have a 2014 2 door I just got a zone 3inch kit and a coast 1310 front shaft my question is is it necessary to also get a new rear shaft or can I go a while without it come summer time I'll be on the trail at least once a month if not more so will I be ok with a stock shaft with a 3 inch kit ??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll be fine for a while, maybe as long as a year or so or up to 30,000... less if you do a lot of wheeling. I would just save up and run it until you start to see grease spitting out of the CV boot or can afford to replace it. You will need adjustable rear upper arms as well to set your pinion angle.

Sugarbear

You'll be fine for a while, maybe as long as a year or so or up to 30,000... less if you do a lot of wheeling. I would just save up and run it until you start to see grease spitting out of the CV boot or can afford to replace it. You will need adjustable rear upper arms as well to set your pinion angle.

Will I need the arms right away ?? I didn't think the pinion angle would be that much to matter a lot I know it changes a little but how drastic? I have the money for one or the other at the moment so what's your recommendation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will I need the arms right away ?? I didn't think the pinion angle would be that much to matter a lot I know it changes a little but how drastic? I have the money for one or the other at the moment so what's your recommendation

It is ESSENTIAL to set your rear pinion angle when installing a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. This angle will be considerable and the only way you can do this is with a set of adjustable rear upper control arms. Failure to do this will result in significant vibrations.

Sugarbear

It is ESSENTIAL to set your rear pinion angle when installing a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. This angle will be considerable and the only way you can do this is with a set of adjustable rear upper control arms. Failure to do this will result in significant vibrations.

Forgive me for my lack of understanding here Eddie so I take what your sayin as I'll be ok on stock rear shaft and stock arms but when I upgrade the shaft I need to also get the arms
Correct? Or incorrect?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forgive me for my lack of understanding here Eddie so I take what your sayin as I'll be ok on stock rear shaft and stock arms but when I upgrade the shaft I need to also get the arms
Correct? Or incorrect?

Correct. The factory rear drive shaft uses rzeppa joints on both ends and will operate vibration free even at a steep angle. The problem with them is that the angle it will sit in will be steep enough to cause the CV boots to be in a constant state of pinch. This will cause them to fail prematurely and once they have been compromised, there will be nothing to hold the grease inside. With that, total failure of the bearing inside is imminent. U-joint style shafts with a double cardan NEEDS to be set in line with the pinion. Are you following me?

Sugarbear

Correct. The factory rear drive shaft uses rzeppa joints on both ends and will operate vibration free even at a steep angle. The problem with them is that the angle it will sit in will be steep enough to cause the CV boots to be in a constant state of pinch. This will cause them to fail prematurely and once they have been compromised, there will be nothing to hold the grease inside. With that, total failure of the bearing inside is imminent. U-joint style shafts with a double cardan NEEDS to be set in line with the pinion. Are you following me?

Yes sir I gotcha clear now. thanks once again for enlightening me with your superior knowledge and saving me tons of money from unneeded mistakes lol

Top Bottom