Donner Summit Railroad Tunnels

JKJody

Just thought I'd share this. We went up in early June to Tahoe.

image-1534771473.jpg

image-742256223.jpg

image-1465141198.jpg

image-706972629.jpg

image-1361900789.jpg

image-468075249.jpg

image-2137135107.jpg

image-3808543220.jpg

image-1734385441.jpg

image-3295731127.jpg

These tunnels are abandoned by Union Pacific and legal to drive through. They are a blast to drive through with some breath taking views. If you are ever in the area i recommend coming here. Although you really dont need a 4wd, its always better in a jeep!

DManuel

Thanks for the info. We will be up there next week. Might have to make a trip to check out the tunnels.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
bad news guys, just swung by the tunnels today and saw a crew of union pacific workers rolling in heavy equipment and behind them, they put up the following sign...

IMG_5806.jpg

wish this were some kind of joke but unfortunately, it's not. :grayno:

JKJody

Well i am gunna try and find out what they are doing. I currently work with several ex UP employees who were in the maintenance of way dept. someone is bound to know what they're doing up there. Could be temporary as the road bed is a pathway to the actual mainline on the other side of the mountain and this is the only way to move equipment without fowling the mainline and holding up trains.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Well that sucks. I was thinking about heading up there soon. Hopefully it's temporary.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i don't think the closure is permanent or, at least it didn't look like it. it looked more to me like they were closing it for maintenance and repair but, based on the kind of heavy equipment they were bringing in (bulldozer, backhoe, steamroller and several work trucks), it looked like it might be closed for a while.

Serg5000

Eddie you and Cindy are living the dream man. That's awesome. Do you guys spend the entire month of July in Tahoe? That would be sick. Just forget the world for a month and enjoy the beauty mother nature has to offer.

JKJody

There are a couple of forks on the end of the trail that end up somewhere but i dont know where.

Top Bottom