Evo Tire Carrier Adjustment

SFNick

Got my EVO tire carrier installed today & I'm having a hard time getting it adjusted so that it closes smoothly. Does anyone have a secret to adjusting this beast?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Got my EVO tire carrier installed today & I'm having a hard time getting it adjusted so that it closes smoothly. Does anyone have a secret to adjusting this beast?

What's the issue nick? How far off is it? Both top and bottom or just one?

SFNick

What's the issue nick? How far off is it? Both top and bottom or just one?

It's both the top & the bottom about 2inches off. I had it right on the money but it seems to settle quit a bit. Since then I haven't been able to get it adjusted high enough.

MTG

Caught the Bug
It's both the top & the bottom about 2inches off. I had it right on the money but it seems to settle quit a bit. Since then I haven't been able to get it adjusted high enough.

I'm assuming you mean the drivers side is low.

Did you get it set first with the tire mounted? Is the tire mounted now?

If you can get the drivers side in by lifting it up do so and the. Loosen the passenger side and then retighten that side. I found I had to get it super tight to keep from moving.

If that doesn't work. Make sure your brackets didn't move during install.

Finally after I had mine powder coated I found it still wasn't perfect so I swapped out the SAE for metric (or vice versa). That seems to help get rid of the little bit of play. It was not, however, 2" of play.

SFNick

I'm assuming you mean the drivers side is low.

Did you get it set first with the tire mounted? Is the tire mounted now?

If you can get the drivers side in by lifting it up do so and the. Loosen the passenger side and then retighten that side. I found I had to get it super tight to keep from moving.

If that doesn't work. Make sure your brackets didn't move during install.

Finally after I had mine powder coated I found it still wasn't perfect so I swapped out the SAE for metric (or vice versa). That seems to help get rid of the little bit of play. It was not, however, 2" of play.

Yeah it's the driver side. The tire is mounted & was set pretty close but has since settled pretty far. Thanks for the info. I'll see about man handling it to get get it tighter tomorrow. 👍

MTG

Caught the Bug
Yeah it's the driver side. The tire is mounted & was set pretty close but has since settled pretty far. Thanks for the info. I'll see about man handling it to get get it tighter tomorrow. 

Take a pic tomorrow. That might help. I will say it does drop when you open it. Especially when you are running big heavy tires.

SFNick

Take a pic tomorrow. That might help. I will say it does drop when you open it. Especially when you are running big heavy tires.

So do you have to pick it up a little to get it in? I was able earlier today to loosen the bolts on the passenger side then I sit the driver side joints on top of the brackets on the driver side & tighten the bolts down thinking that would get the sag out but it still was low. I'll send some pics tomorrow.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I stand corrected. I had to pull the jeep in so I took a pic.

Here is mine when I open it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393733158.449234.jpg

rcastell69

Question does anyone have a pic of the rear evo tire carrier all the way open so I can see how it looks and how it opens I have been trying to find a video or pics can not find

JKFlyer

Mine is just about the same. Even w a 35 is still sags 1-2". Normal to have to lift to get in. Another issue happened when I over greased Jonnie joints ....caused them to expand to much and wouldn't even go into slots so be careful of that...once I took grease out by loosening fitting, all was fine

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine sags about the same (2"). I took it off today since I wont need to carry a spare tire for a while. Here is a pic of it wide open though.

SFNick

So I guess having a little play is normal. I don't know how I'm gonna keep paint on the driver side hinges. Lol

Last edited:

SFNick

Mine is just about the same. Even w a 35 is still sags 1-2". Normal to have to lift to get in. Another issue happened when I over greased Jonnie joints ....caused them to expand to much and wouldn't even go into slots so be careful of that...once I took grease out by loosening fitting, all was fine

Good tip on the joint I haven't even greased mine yet.

SFNick

Question does anyone have a pic of the rear evo tire carrier all the way open so I can see how it looks and how it opens I have been trying to find a video or pics can not find

I'll post some pics tomorrow. I was thinking about making a video. I couldn't find much online either.

ak49

Those of you that have the evo tire carrier, what are you using for reverse lights and what are you using for the license plate light?

JKFlyer

Those of you that have the evo tire carrier, what are you using for reverse lights and what are you using for the license plate light?
Oro litedots

They r awesome

Attachments

• 1393769571016.jpg
    1393769571016.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 387

JKFlyer

So I guess having a little play is normal. I don't know how I'm gonna keep paint on the driver side hinges. Lol

I'm constantly chasing driver side w touch up...the metal to metal kinda sucks and does rub off powdercoat

SFNick

I'm using a cheap LED light from Amazon. Works pretty good ill probably mount a 10inch light bar there eventually. No license plate light. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1393776690.014273.jpg

This is the best picture I could find. I have the Rigid D2's tied in for the reverse lights and I have the ORE license plate light.

*** The drivers side reverse light is a little tweaked in this picture from bouncing off a tree on my last outing. It's all fixed now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom