Hard Learned Lesson

Tyler19

If there is one thing us as Jeepers hate to say, it would be "I learned my lesson the hard way." I grind my teeth as I type the short phrase, as it fills my mind with some of the miserable experiences I have gone through on my trips. If your time has yet to come where you spill those words in front of your buddies while out on the trail or back at the hotel, you're due in the works.

Whether it be realizing that you should've grabbed an extra roll of toilet paper, once you look over in that smelly gas station bathroom only to notice there is an empty roll sitting next to you. Or forgetting to tell everyone that the small highway diner doesn't take cards and having to cover everyone who only brought a credit card. Or one of my other least favorites that has happened, not bringing a pair of mud boots and having to drive over thirty miles with no shoes and in my boxers because I ruined my pants and shoes wading through knee deep mud.

At some point in time, our forgetfulness will get the best of us, so whatever it is that you have unfortunately gone through, we would love to hear it. Maybe your mistakes can prevent others from having to go through the same experiences. ;)

My wife has learned over the years how expensive a 4 letter word can be,usually when she hears the word "OOPS" fly out of my mouth between a few other 4 letter words.:D

Sent from my DROID4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

or like using a 5 lbs sledge hammer to drive out a stuck pivot pin and instead of hitting the drift punch you hit your hand not once but thrice. :eek: Lesson learned there get some sucker to hold the punch while you use the sledge hammer.:yup:

R/
Will

JAGS

Hooked
I learned the hard way what a boxing fracture was. A manly name for a break that more often than not occurs during a brief moment of stupidity and lack of judgement.

Having said that, I also am of the mindset that most lessons learned are learned the hard way. That's how character is established and then we instill those lessons on to others. This goes for life as well as jeeping.

kornchip

"Learning the hard way" is also a wayalife of mine, it has its ups and downs..but it mostly just hurts

pastorwug

Tyler19 - you are a good writer in the midst of some real English butchers here.
Thanks for the paragraphs above.
Murphy's Law bites hard in both directions.

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
Forgetting to bring the key to tool box mounted in your Jeep.
No way to get to the air line's to air up your tire's
Or the tool's if you breakdown on the trail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKWrang

Measuring twice and cutting once is, of course, something I heard resonate throughtout my youth. From my father's mouth, my grandfather's and even the neighbor's father's. Despite the incessant reminder to double check, in my arrogant youth (as though im decades older now...?) I would always measure once and cut before I was done measuring only, metaphorically speaking. As a result I often wound up with excess wasted material, time and effort, having to resort to damage control and ultimately taking twice as long to get a job done than if I had done it right the first time.

Fortunately, this hard won lesson lends itself to a substantial amount of experience related to what NOT to do.

Im sure we all have this problem.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

BBG

The best lessons learned are definitely the ones you pay for. ......

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tyler19

Tyler19 - you are a good writer in the midst of some real English butchers here.
Thanks for the paragraphs above.
Murphy's Law bites hard in both directions.

Thank you for that. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post!

rodgerdathug

Taking my jeep out after just buying her and not knowing the trail set up at interlake Indiana and not getting stuck on the intermediate trail getting stuck on easy trail on two tire ruts that were probly made by a lifted up bronco getting high center on both diffs and being stuck for 1&1/2 till atv came by gave me a hand

Living it one day at a time
FTA
WAYALIFE mobile app

pvanweelden

Forgetting the safety glasses that one time, and then having to get the rust ring drilled out of my eyeball. :grayno:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I might come up with some anecdotes for this thread shortly, but the one phrase that comes to mind is "always get the tool(s) for the job". Can't tell you how many projects I've started where I didn't heed that advice and it not only took longer, but was much harder and messier than it needed to be. Henceforth, I no longer try to tackle jobs where I don't have the right tools.

Can you really have enough tools anyway? :idontknow:

Hack12

Buying exactly what I want the first time instead of wasting money on easier/cheaper variations that will only need to be replaced in the future.

My advice to anyone in the beginning stages of modding their rig, if you love a certain brand's product, i.e. lift kit, tires, skins, etc., just buy them. If you don't have the money, wait and save until you do. You will never be truly happy with a purchase you settled on knowing that there is something out there that you like better. Mark my words, you will eventually buckle and end up buying the thing you wanted in the first place, costing yourself money in the process.

Even if it takes more time, buy what you want. You and your wallet will be much happier in the end.:twocents:

JKFlyer

Buying exactly what I want the first time instead of wasting money on easier/cheaper variations that will only need to be replaced in the future.

My advice to anyone in the beginning stages of modding their rig, if you love a certain brand's product, i.e. lift kit, tires, skins, etc., just buy them. If you don't have the money, wait and save until you do. You will never be truly happy with a purchase you settled on knowing that there is something out there that you like better. Mark my words, you will eventually buckle and end up buying the thing you wanted in the first place, costing yourself money in the process.

Even if it takes more time, buy what you want. You and your wallet will be much happier in the end.:twocents:

How true...we've all been there!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jiffy05

This is very true. I wish I would have listened to that advice after being told about a million times. Instead I bought junk and am not happy at all with it.

Top Bottom