Reverse Lights - On with reverse and switch for turning on anytime

jkjurny

So I'm getting ready to wire this up, and have been reading a lot on the Internet on the different ways to make this happen. This is what I've come up with, but want to see if it is wrong or if there is another/better way.

Switch = SPDT Switch
Relay = Standard 30 AMP Relay
Lights = Poison Spyder LED reverse lights

So for constant on, this is simple. Wire fused source to switch. Run On output directly to the reverse lights.

Here is where I'm stuck, but think I have figured out.

For on with reverse lights.

Run from SPDT switch to pin 30 on relay. Splice reverse light power into 86 on Relay. 85 to ground, 87 to Reverse lights. Is that right? With this setup, should I add a diode between the relay and light, and also between the light and switch for constant on?

Thanks.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I did this same thing. I forget when I found the writeup, but all wiring feeds into a relay.

Reverse triggers relay, switch triggers relay... both cause light on switch to turn on.

Edit, found the wiring diagram I used, and everything worked without an issue:
Reverse%20Lights.jpg

Last edited:

jkjurny

I did this same thing. I forget when I found the writeup, but all wiring feeds into a relay.

Reverse triggers relay, switch triggers relay... both cause light on switch to turn on.

Reverse%20Lights.jpg

Thanks! I'll give this a try!

jkjurny

Reverse%20Lights.jpg

Does your config allow for the aux lights to not come on at all? I want the Off position on my switch the prevent the lights to come on.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Does your config allow for the aux lights to not come on at all? I want the Off position on my switch the prevent the lights to come on.

With this setup you will have the following:

--This lights will ALWAYS come on when you put it in R
--The lights can ALWAYS be put on @ any time with a flip of the switch
--The light in the switch will ALWAYS come on when the lights are on, either by going into R or by flipping the switch.

So it sounds to me like you man need a 3 way switch?, On, OFF (or normal operation), Bypass (completely cut power to the light, bypassing R) but that would change the wiring from what I had posted. Sorry, maybe I didnt read your original post in enough detail if you had spelled out that sort of operation there.

Top Bottom