Steering Correction

Did a search for a few questions I need answered but didn’t come up with anything…

I am looking to get something to correct the steering on my 2012 jku (3.5” RK lift w/ front track bar, and currently running 35” tires but plan to run 37’s and hydro assist in the future) I am trying to figure out what brand to buy and what i should buy to help bring my steering back to stock. I was looking at the EVO JK Draglink Flip Kit, and the Synergy Jeep JK Front Steering Correction Kit. Curious what is recommended brand wise and what is recommended parts wise.

Here is a link to the Synergy kit:

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-JK-Front-Steering-Correction-Kit-p-16758.html#.UxTTW9yiCsU

Any input would be appreciated as I do not know much about the steering components on jk’s and what is needed in order to help fix the problems that come with lifting a jeep.

Thanks,
Sean

munstie

What problems are you currently having, with the steering???

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

What problems are you currently having, with the steering???

It's flighty and likes to wander around, and I can turn the wheel about a quarter turn in each direction without the jeep reacting. From what I have been able to gather, the problems I am having seem to be fixable with some steering upgrades

StrizzyChris

What psi are you running in your tires and do you have adjustable front lower control arms with your lift? How long have you noticed the flighty steering? Just now or ever since the lift?

StrizzyChris

The reason I ask, is high psi and/or your caster being off from wrong control arm length can cause what you're experiencing. A high steer setup would definitely benefit your handling at high speeds, but you'll still want to make sue what I mentioned is correct even with the high steer

munstie

Could be as easy as a tire pressure change, or your caster is off from the lift. Just trying to save ya some coin if it's something you can fix within your current setup. I can't link from my phone but there is a writeup on here for caster. Not sure about the chalk test with the tires though.

Could be as easy as a tire pressure change, or your caster is off from the lift. Just trying to save ya some coin if it's something you can fix within your current setup. I can't link from my phone but there is a writeup on here for caster. Not sure about the chalk test with the tires though.

The reason I ask, is high psi and/or your caster being off from wrong control arm length can cause what you're experiencing. A high steer setup would definitely benefit your handling at high speeds, but you'll still want to make sue what I mentioned is correct even with the high steer

What psi are you running in your tires and do you have adjustable front lower control arms with your lift? How long have you noticed the flighty steering? Just now or ever since the lift?

I have adjustable front and rear lower control arms. Tires are at 30 psi and I have noticed this issue since the lift install a little under a year ago.

munstie

When was the last time you checked the trackbar bolts could be part of your problem as well..

When was the last time you checked the trackbar bolts could be part of your problem as well..

Those were checked a few weeks ago and has not been off road since so unlikely to be rattled loose

munstie

I would look at caster then, that can cause flighty steering, and is can be fixed by adjusting your control arms.

Veetz

It's flighty and likes to wander around, and I can turn the wheel about a quarter turn in each direction without the jeep reacting. From what I have been able to gather, the problems I am having seem to be fixable with some steering upgrades

Sean have someone look under the front and turn the steering wheel tell them to watch the pitman arm , sometimes the sector shaft moves left and right before the wheel starts to turn , this gets worn pretty easily , you might have to buy a sector shaft support if that's the problem ....check it out

It is what it is!

Sean have someone look under the front and turn the steering wheel tell them to watch the pitman arm , sometimes the sector shaft moves left and right before the wheel starts to turn , this gets worn pretty easily , you might have to buy a sector shaft support if that's the problem ....check it out

It is what it is!

Will do, I'll have to check that out when I get it back from the shop!

It is what it is!

Everything is right underneath. I think the steering is just bad because of the 3.5" lift at this point. What would you suggest purchasing to help fix this? Would the synergy kit I have linked above be good or would something like the evo hi steer bracket work equally as well? I will be getting a new steering stabilizer as well because mine is dented from a rock impact.

Thanks,
Sean

TheDuff

Either brand drag link flip would benefit a 3.5" lift. Will it drive like stock again? Probably not, but the more parallel the drag link and Trac bar are, the better.
On the stabilizer, before you drop coin there, pull the dented one off and go for a drive, you might find you prefer to not have one, since you won't have the driver side pull with it gone. If you do get any strange shaking or anything with the stabilizer off, then you have a issue to track down, as the stabilizer would just be masking it. Plenty of people run with out one and lots prefer it that way, it'll need to be removed once you go hydro anyways:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Either brand drag link flip would benefit a 3.5" lift. Will it drive like stock again? Probably not, but the more parallel the drag link and Trac bar are, the better.
On the stabilizer, before you drop coin there, pull the dented one off and go for a drive, you might find you prefer to not have one, since you won't have the driver side pull with it gone. If you do get any strange shaking or anything with the stabilizer off, then you have a issue to track down, as the stabilizer would just be masking it. Plenty of people run with out one and lots prefer it that way, it'll need to be removed once you go hydro anyways:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Perfect thanks! And one more question. Is a new tie rod and drag link a good idea or are those just unnecessary to replace for the most part. I Already have an adjustable RK track bar and while I'm working on the front end, I figure I'd replace it all if it is recommended.

Thanks,
Sean

Top Bottom