What am I Dealing With Here? [08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited]

tonytony9

When I bought it, I did not take to much to what looks just like surface rust. However, I really wanted to ask the forums and see what they think. Should I get these parts replaced? Is it really bad looking? Just give me some feedback!

*Please note that we have had a pretty harsh winter here in New Jersey - so many of the parts are actually dirtier and maybe less worn out than they seem.

*Bracket on the left side - it holds the little step to the car

*Another bracket - On Right side

-----------------------------------
*Also, both the driver and passenger side mats are moist. I took up the passenger side and found a little bit of water sitting there. I have to get my shop vac out and suck it all up. I am just wondering, could this be because of some drain being blocked. Maybe the hardtop leaking?

*Please keep providing feedback even though these two are listed below.

Solution/Reason 1:
mtnbiker995: The carpets are moist from getting in and out of your jeep so much in the snow...I eventually just pulled my carpets out and only have slush mats on the floor. I also pulled my drain plugs to allow water to drain instead of being trapped

Solution/Reason 2:
Hack12: My buddy recently bought a new 2-door with a hardtop and experienced the same problem. He noticed, after our first big rainstorm of the summer, that his front driver's side and passenger's side carpets were soaking wet. Being that it was still under a bumper to bumper warranty, he immediately went running back to the dealership. Long story short, turned out the water was getting in through the upper rubber seal on the front doors and slowly trickling down to the carpet where it would eventually accumulate to the point of soaking it. The dealership replaced the rubber seals and since then he hasn't gotten a drop of water.

Last edited:

Moochie

Just clean them with a wire brush or wire wheel on a drill and spray some black Rustoleum paint on. You can use some high temperature paint on your muffler.

mtnbiker995

When I bought it, I did not take to much to what looks just like surface rust. However, I really wanted to ask the forums and see what they think. Should I get these parts replaced? Is it really bad looking? Just give me some feedback!

*Please note that we have had a pretty harsh winter here in New Jersey - so many of the parts are actually dirtier and maybe more worn out than they seem.

*Bracket on the left side - it holds the little step to the car

*Another bracket - On Right side

--------
*Also, both the driver and passenger side mats are moist. I took up the passenger side and found a little bit of water sitting there. I have to get my shop vac out and suck it all up. I am just wondering, could this be because of some drain being blocked. Maybe the hardtop leaking?

The carpets are moist from getting in and out of your jeep so much in the snow...I eventually just pulled my carpets out and only have slush mats on the floor. I also pulled my drain plugs to allow water to drain instead of being trapped

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

i live in boston so im on your page! I can tell you that my axles and some spots rust over the winter pretty much every year its a new england salt thing lol sucks :doh:! what i do every year is when it gets nice out grab some sand paper along with some matt black paint/and primer and have a grand old time. it is the best we can do up here!

2013 Moab

Instead of a can of spray paint you should check out a more permanent rust protection paint like POR 15. It is expensive but once it's applied that is all that it will need, you're done.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Instead of a can of spray paint you should check out a more permanent rust protection paint like POR 15. It is expensive but once it's applied that is all that it will need, you're done.

X'2 on Por-15. Great product and have used. Use the recommended products with it.

tonytony9

The carpets are moist from getting in and out of your jeep so much in the snow...I eventually just pulled my carpets out and only have slush mats on the floor. I also pulled my drain plugs to allow water to drain instead of being trapped

So, it is not that I have a leak or something, just repeated snow melting through the carpet and then not evaporating? I was thinking this, I just wanted to make sure though. I don't want it coming from something else and then finding in a few months that I a rusted out and moldy floor.

tonytony9

For the paint/other suggestion.

Thank you, really appreciate it. I will look into both options for sure.

mtnbiker995

So, it is not that I have a leak or something, just repeated snow melting through the carpet and then not evaporating? I was thinking this, I just wanted to make sure though. I don't want it coming from something else and then finding in a few months that I a rusted out and moldy floor.

Correct, although you could still get moldy carpets...mine started getting pretty musty smelling so I removed them before any mold formed.

tonytony9

Correct, although you could still get moldy carpets...mine started getting pretty musty smelling so I removed them before any mold formed.

Wow, alright thanks. Have never had something like this happen before in another car.

Thank you!

mtnbiker995

Wow, alright thanks. Have never had something like this happen before in another car.

Thank you!

That's just my personal experience though. In the winter I'm in and out of my jeep a lot when cutting wood and other activities in which I get pretty snowy. So I probably accumulate more snow than most people do

Both my front floors are always wet as well not sure why yet its a 2012 curently in the winter my carpet is a solid chunk of ice my rubber floor mats are frozen to it... i have had both hard top and soft top on and its still wet... cant see it coming down the fire wall when spraying a hose at it so im not sure what is happenign weather it be my feet or something else! probably have to just pull carpet and lineX it to avoid rust..

MXREJECT

I have the same problem, carpet soaked under the floor mat. No snow here..

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hack12

Both my front floors are always wet as well not sure why yet its a 2012 curently in the winter my carpet is a solid chunk of ice my rubber floor mats are frozen to it... i have had both hard top and soft top on and its still wet... cant see it coming down the fire wall when spraying a hose at it so im not sure what is happenign weather it be my feet or something else! probably have to just pull carpet and lineX it to avoid rust..

I have the same problem, carpet soaked under the floor mat. No snow here..

My buddy recently bought a new 2-door with a hardtop and experienced the same problem. He noticed, after our first big rainstorm of the summer, that his front driver's side and passenger's side carpets were soaking wet. Being that it was still under a bumper to bumper warranty, he immediately went running back to the dealership. Long story short, turned out the water was getting in through the upper rubber seal on the front doors and slowly trickling down to the carpet where it would eventually accumulate to the point of soaking it. The dealership replaced the rubber seals and since then he hasn't gotten a drop of water. :D

tonytony9

My buddy recently bought a new 2-door with a hardtop and experienced the same problem. He noticed, after our first big rainstorm of the summer, that his front driver's side and passenger's side carpets were soaking wet. Being that it was still under a bumper to bumper warranty, he immediately went running back to the dealership. Long story short, turned out the water was getting in through the upper rubber seal on the front doors and slowly trickling down to the carpet where it would eventually accumulate to the point of soaking it. The dealership replaced the rubber seals and since then he hasn't gotten a drop of water. :D

Wow, thank you for that! I will have to check that out. Do you know if it is hard to replace that seal yourself? I have a local Jeep parts department and could easily stop by there and grab myself one.

Hack12

Wow, thank you for that! I will have to check that out. Do you know if it is hard to replace that seal yourself? I have a local Jeep parts department and could easily stop by there and grab myself one.

I can't say for sure, as I have never actually done it personally, but I can't imagine it would be difficult at all. If anyone has any further first-hand knowledge about this feel free to chime in here...

tonytony9

I can't say for sure, as I have never actually done it personally, but I can't imagine it would be difficult at all. If anyone has any further first-hand knowledge about this feel free to chime in here...

I am most likely going to clear out the water first, then wait a few days till it rains again and see if it gets wet. I have not been able to clear it out yet.

Hack12

I am most likely going to clear out the water first, then wait a few days till it rains again and see if it gets wet. I have not been able to clear it out yet.

Best of luck! Nothing more frustrating than a smelly flooded out interior. :crazyeyes:

JKWrang

My 08 with the hardtop had a leak from the front seal. Carpets were soaked through 100% of the time. I did eventually pull them, clean them and before I got around to fix the leak I sold the Jeep.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Top Bottom