Running larger tire concerns

Evan

So this weekend I was going to order a lift for my 2012 Rubicon, I'm thinking 37's are what I want to run and a 4" teraflex long arm kit to get me there. But after reading a number of posts I'm getting concerned about the number of supporting mods I might have to do. Is the stock rubicon drivetrain up for the task of 37's? will I break an axel? are the lockers going to hold up? Your guys opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Ps: Keeping it tight in Seattle :thumb:

StrizzyChris

Stock lockers arent the greatest compared to some of the after market lockers availible, but some people never need to upgrade from it even running 40's. Does that mean you wont experience a failure? Not at all but, if your not planning to regear, I would run it until it fails.

Stock drive shafts will need to be replaced with that much lift.

There are tons of threads describing the need to gusset your inner nuckles

What factory gear ratio do you have? If 4.10 you should run it with them, and then later decide if you want/need to re-gear. If your in the 3's for gears, and running 37's, youll probably want to regear as well.

These are some of the basics but, without knowing your driving style and needs, its hard to give more advice. How much do you plan to wheel? Daily driver? What terrain?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Lockers will be fine. I'd get C gussets like the Offroad Evolution C2 gussets. Stock front axle shafts will be on borrowed time, and the flanges are prone to bending on the rear shafts, so I'd look at front and rear shafts eventually, but not needed immediately. Front driveshaft will be on borrowed time, if you have a 4 door the rear shaft will last a long time. 2 door you'd need a rear shaft immediately. I know the new Pentastar engine is alot better, so you may be fine w/o a regear.

I'd go with c gussets, front d/s, good axle shafts (eventually) like the Ten Factory shafts Northridge sells, and thats really it for drivetrain.

The Teraflex 4" longarm is s good lift, i have the 3" LCG kit, but in the same price range I'd strongly consider the Offroad Evolution DD 4" longarm. It's higher quality, stronger brackets, and much easier to adjust the arms. Plus the springs are much smoother riding. Overall it's just a better kit.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lockers will be fine. I'd get C gussets like the Offroad Evolution C2 gussets. Stock front axle shafts will be on borrowed time, and the flanges are prone to bending on the rear shafts, so I'd look at front and rear shafts eventually, but not needed immediately. Front driveshaft will be on borrowed time, if you have a 4 door the rear shaft will last a long time. 2 door you'd need a rear shaft immediately. I know the new Pentastar engine is alot better, so you may be fine w/o a regear.

I'd go with c gussets, front d/s, good axle shafts (eventually) like the Ten Factory shafts Northridge sells, and thats really it for drivetrain.

The Teraflex 4" longarm is s good lift, i have the 3" LCG kit, but in the same price range I'd strongly consider the Offroad Evolution DD 4" longarm. It's higher quality, stronger brackets, and much easier to adjust the arms. Plus the springs are much smoother riding. Overall it's just a better kit.

yeah, i'd have to agree with this only, depending on how hard and how often you wheel, the factory lockers may not hold up over the long haul. me, i went through 3 lockers (1 front and 2 rears) before giving up on them and going arb. but, other people i know are still running on them today.

Top Bottom