Rear driveshaft hitting Petrol tank

Hell_Fire

Hey guys maybe some one here can shed some light or give me some advice, my rear drive shaft pushes against the gas/petrol tank at full flex, I need a solution to fix it with out loosing flex, I looked into the CRC link but too expensive for me to import, what other solutions can I look at, especially with my size lift in.

StrizzyChris

I see that your running a 6" lift...are you still managing to run the stock rear DS? If so then :clap2: but you can look at replacing the rear DS with a aftermarket that is much thinner to clear the tank.

Also are you running a rear raised track bar bracket? With 6" of lift you're rear axle is probably off center to some degree and would likely still benefit with a JKS (or other brand) adjustable rear track bar to offset your axle just slightly to allow for the clearance.

Hell_Fire

Yeah stock DS, front is double cardan, I have a synergy adjustable track bar in with drop bracket to help with the angle, we did adjust it but still catches cos I flex so much. added note I don't have the rear swaybar in took it out cos it limits my travel. would it be wise to move the trackbar bracket off the axel and onto the diff itself?

StrizzyChris

If your running disco'd in the rear, then yeah youll have a lot of droop and axle swipe when running a solid axle with the traditional trackbar. I believe Chris (Pinginajeep) used to run the CRC link which eliminates the trackbar. I think Mituk ran it as well. I cant comment on that since I know only about it in theory, but I would look at replacing that stock rear DS. My guess is it will go out and need replaced soon anyway.

StrizzyChris

Here is an old video explaining the CRC link. I would either run with swaybar links or address the driveshaft, but that's just me, rather than spend the money on this.

I do believe I hear Eddies very distinct laugh at the 0:45 mark :cheesy:

Hell_Fire

Yeah u know how the CRC link works, I still sort of convinced it's going too limit my flex at the back allot. What would be the best option for replacing the rear DS, obviously the strongest thinest shaft. I recon you right if the DS is thinner and we offset it a bit more with the adjustable track bar it should clear if at max flex, in theory that is lol

seanb123

Yeah u know how the CRC link works, I still sort of convinced it's going too limit my flex at the back allot. What would be the best option for replacing the rear DS, obviously the strongest thinest shaft. I recon you right if the DS is thinner and we offset it a bit more with the adjustable track bar it should clear if at max flex, in theory that is lol

You seam to very worried about flex why is that? Unless your doing some extreme trails and are going to getting all flexed out it's not something you should really put in front of something like driveshaft issues. My suggestion is just replace the ds keep the sway bar with some extended links for your huge lift. Just my two cents

Hell_Fire

You seam to very worried about flex why is that? Unless your doing some extreme trails and are going to getting all flexed out it's not something you should really put in front of something like drive shaft issues. My suggestion is just replace the ds keep the sway bar with some extended links for your huge lift. Just my two cents

Flex = wheels on the ground = traction it also means not rolling over :D, Yeah we do some extreme trials big rocks and boulders I have had to flex to my max a few times to get through certain spots, we are leaving for another trip end of this month and I will definitely be flexing at max on a few places, its fine if I flex right wheel up left wheel down, but as soon as I go left wheel up max, right wheel down full flex, my DS grabs the tank.

I think I am going to try the extended links on the rear sway bar, and see what it does then.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As others have said I would reinstall your rear sway bar. All you prob need is the proper length links. If you look at Moby Eddie is still running the factory rear sway bar and that doesn't limit his flex. The only thing that stops him from flexing is the limiting straps he has installed.

Sent from my iPhone

Hell_Fire

Apparently it's not that easy to fix with brackets and links, left hand drive and right hand drive differ day and night, left hand drive JKs don't get the same issue as right hand drive. I am going to start with a aftermarket DS that's a bit thinner should give me just enough clearance to slip by the tank.

Kavanji - jou grap gat

Hell_Fire

Ok so fixed the problem without new DS, created a HD drop bracket with brace and also new HD bracket on Axel no more hitting petrol tank plus, it feels better on the road the back isn't so loose anymore.

Top Bottom