What to do about rear tire mount at Moab

mdwjeep

I'm having trouble with my rear tire smacking stuff here in WA, and I'm afraid I'll be toast when I run at the Easter Jeep Safari coming up. Here's a pic the tire mount. The bumper is a Posion Sypder RockBrawler II that's been modded to hold an AEV fuel caddy.

bumper-problem.jpg

I love the set up, except for the fact that the tire sticks out and I've been mashing it enough to twist the tire mount. It's taken a few months of use around gnarly tree roots here in WA to get the twist it's got now, but those rock shelves around Moab are another story. I'm feeling like my spare tire might last a day there.

Loosing the tank gets me 6" to 8" less stick out, but the tire's still vulnerable to tall ledges. Losing the tire all together works, but that gives me heart burn just thinking about it.

That's about the size of it. Looking for suggestions on how to take the tire with me on the Moab trails. Hopefully ones that let me use what I have now when I get back home.

Tranquillity

Gosh and I thought mine was sticking out too much with the Or Fab Rotopax.

Shouldn't you be fine just by loosing the tank? It would be like a stock spec I guess.

Does the Rock Brawler II sit the spare higher like the OR Fab carrier?

mdwjeep

Yeah, losing the caddy would help, but the tire still sticks out beyond the bumper. Rear wheels off ledge first -> land on bumper -> bumper goes off ledge next -> land on tire. :mad:

I just checked, and the tire RockBrawler puts the tire up about as high OR Fab.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Have you thought about making a hitch slider? If you have a 2" receiver you could get some 2x2 steel and make one.

Sent from my iPhone

mdwjeep

Do you have the tire holder mounted in the top 4 holes?

The mount has been modded heavily to hold the AEV caddy, but the tire center is a 6" inches shy of the very top. Looks like there's holes about an inch higher, but I'm not sure the rest of the stuff will fit there.

Last edited:

Heholua

The mount has been modded heavily to hold the AEV caddy, but the tire center is a few inches shy of the very top.

That 6"-8" is killing your departure angle.:grayno: Without looking at it closer, I would be more worried about the tire not being sucked up tight to the swing frame.

mdwjeep

That 6"-8" is killing your departure angle.:grayno: Without looking at it closer, I would be more worried about the tire not being sucked up tight to the swing frame.
swing-frame.jpg

The tire is pretty well free of the frame alright. What I can't show you is that there's a 2" steel hitch between the tire and swing frame, and it holds the tire steady. On the other hand, the hitch is a lever arm that is probably twisting the swing frame when I mash the tire on stuff.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm having trouble with my rear tire smacking stuff here in WA, and I'm afraid I'll be toast when I run at the Easter Jeep Safari coming up. Here's a pic the tire mount. The bumper is a Posion Sypder RockBrawler II that's been modded to hold an AEV fuel caddy.

View attachment 71952

I love the set up, except for the fact that the tire sticks out and I've been mashing it enough to twist the tire mount. It's taken a few months of use around gnarly tree roots here in WA to get the twist it's got now, but those rock shelves around Moab are another story. I'm feeling like my spare tire might last a day there.

Loosing the tank gets me 6" to 8" less stick out, but the tire's still vulnerable to tall ledges. Losing the tire all together works, but that gives me heart burn just thinking about it.

That's about the size of it. Looking for suggestions on how to take the tire with me on the Moab trails. Hopefully ones that let me use what I have now when I get back home.

depends on the trails you are running but yea, that's sticking out pretty far. There are a few trails that have no bypass but most trails will have a bypass available.

I run my 35 (315) on the stock carrier and use my 4" drop hitch inserted upside down to act as a guard if I feel I may catch the tire, it's worked well but you would need to get something that sticks out further. also remember that there is the possibility of catching it climbing up a ledge depending on how steep the ledge is.

mdwjeep

Many thanks to all. The "hitch slider" caught my imagination, and I ran with it. Here is what my local shop fabbed; just what I wanted. :thumb:

hitch-slide-02.jpg

And ... Here's the tail end after getting rid of the AEV caddy. I'm feeling much better about taking on those Moab ledges.

hitch-slide-01.jpg

Top Bottom