Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening

UNLIMITED_FUN

There's a guy on ebay that sells great quality steel Molle stuff for jeeps. I've bought some of this stuff and had my eye on an overhead rack he makes.

However I really want a LOT of attachment area so I'm considering buying the Black Epoxy Coated Deluxe Grid Panel for Retail Display 2' x 4' Priced 3 Per Carton from Amazon for $52 delivered.

I measured the width of the Wrangler and see 3 areas where I can span this by securing to the roll bar padding.

This gives me aaaaallll that space to attach stuff, electronics etc and maybe even my CB.

I already have tons of velcro, so my thoughts are to just use plastic wire ties and velcro to secure so it can't slide or bounce or rattle.

Thoughts?

mdwjeep

Pro: cheap, easy to try out and see if you like it. As you say, plenty of room.

Con: I'm imagining stuff hanging down like dry salamis that can whack you in the head if you don't lash them up tight.

steve_r2

There's a guy on ebay that sells great quality steel Molle stuff for jeeps. I've bought some of this stuff and had my eye on an overhead rack he makes.

However I really want a LOT of attachment area so I'm considering buying the Black Epoxy Coated Deluxe Grid Panel for Retail Display 2' x 4' Priced 3 Per Carton from Amazon for $52 delivered.

I measured the width of the Wrangler and see 3 areas where I can span this by securing to the roll bar padding.

This gives me aaaaallll that space to attach stuff, electronics etc and maybe even my CB.

I already have tons of velcro, so my thoughts are to just use plastic wire ties and velcro to secure so it can't slide or bounce or rattle.

Thoughts?
Can you post up the link to that ...would like a look see (overhead rack that is) :thumb:

jeeeep

Hooked

Thoughts?

depends on the stickiness of the Velcro you use and how much surface area it covers. Also, if you don't use enough ties to support the rattle weight they will break.. I use some to attach stuff to the roll bars on the back and they lasted through most the summer before they broke - I think the heat also added to the failure rate and they were cheap ties...

all I can think of using the grid panel and all your stuff hanging off it are the Clampetts :beer:

UNLIMITED_FUN

THIS GRID is the one I'm referring to. It's heavy duty and looks like it would cover the front seat area, the area behind the speakers and the far back towards the rear window.

• Durable Epoxy Coating
  • Made of .25" Steel Wire
  • Double Wire Sides for Stability

I admit to feeling at least a bit Clampett about it, but if it's secure, quiet enough and I can velcro a myriad of doohickies to it, might just work out.

Plus the 3 grids are only $50, if they don't work out for the jeep, I'll use them in the garage.

I've got some big honkin wire ties and a couple of rolls of velcro, enough for the whole jeep.

WarriorJeep

Pro: cheap, easy to try out and see if you like it. As you say, plenty of room.

Con: I'm imagining stuff hanging down like dry salamis that can whack you in the head if you don't lash them up tight.

The mental image of this was quite vivid

salami-hanging-3.jpg

Top Bottom