Rear wheel bearing help

robx251

Caught the Bug
Looking my jeep over I have found and some play in my pass rear wheel bearing. Replaced it with a new one did not replace the plate with the bolts but did looked it over real good. Cleaned up the rust double checked to make sure pressed on all the way replaced the bearing cup with one that came with it. Re assembled have about 1/16 inch of play in and out with about the same up and down. Same as before replacement. This is significantly less than the driver side. Had a tech from work double check and he is baffled too. Definitely open to suggestions. Even took the plate with the bolts off flattened it a bit in the press. Still got the play. HELP!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
Any insight would be helpful guys.

I have found that the OEM bearings are one piece the race is fused sorta to the bearing and this is why you need a slide hammer to remove the shafts the frist time, when i bent my passenger and had it replaced the new shaft had play. the drivers side was still solid.

Then it went back to the dealer because i was worried still had warrenty and they ended up rebuilding the whole rear axle because they were also stumped... so after all the free work both sides had play in them so it seems like once you have cracked the bearing free they have play...

Since learning this i have checked many friends JKU and they all feel the same with play...

dont know if this info helps you or not but it is what i have found so far!

robx251

Caught the Bug
It definitely does help at least give me a piece of mind knowing that after they've been cracked free they seem to have a little bit of play in them.

Top Bottom