Front and Rear Locker Explanation

GeorgiaTJ97

Hello, so I've only been lurking on this forum, I've learned a lot from you all :) but I've still got a lot to learn and a lot of questions haha,

So my question is, I've seen plenty of people mention front and rear lockers, but I don't really know anything about them. What id like to get out of this is an explanation to what they do, how you use them, etc.

Thanks!

StrizzyChris

Long story short is....lockers make the 2 wheels on a single axle spin at the exact same rate.

Example: A person with 4.10 gears, for every 4 revolutions of the rear drive shaft will equal 1 revolution of both the right rear tire and left rear tire at the exact same time and speed.

In a open differential(one without a locker) your power will be distributed to the tire of least resistance. In this case, if you have one tire on an axle on ice, snow, in the air, etc., then that tire will spin and not move your vehicle forward while the other tire sits on concrete and does nothing.

StrizzyChris

Here's a great video that's been around forever(I think I saw it in my mechanics class in high school) and does a great job of explaining EVERYTHING about how the axle works.

Skip to the 1:45 mark to skip the BS in the beginning.

mikefishes

Here's a great video that's been around forever(I think I saw it in my mechanics class in high school) and does a great job of explaining EVERYTHING about how the axle works.

Skip to the 1:45 mark to skip the BS in the beginning.

That's very cool. Thanks for sharing.

jeep monkey

Just remember, without lockers, a 4wd is not a 4wd. Meaning not all four wheels are pulling when 4wd is engaged.

Power to the wheels is driven by many variables. Most if which are cited above.

Front and rear lockers insure that all 4 wheels are pulling all the time.

Top Bottom