ESC/ABS Light on / Cruise Control Disabled / MPG to hell

bbailey

Banned
So I'm driving home last night around 10pm, cruise set at 70. Feel a slight bump and cruise is disabled and the ESC and ABS lights come on. Cruise won't turn back on. MPG on the JKU goes from near 18 to down around 13 nearly instantly. Almost feels like all 4 brakes are dragging.

Warning lights turned off this morning while backing out of my driveway, came back on before I got out of the neighborhood. Went off again pulling out of the parking garage at work this morning and while off, it felt like individual brakes were being applied as the JKU was jumping side to side and pulling intermittently to one side or the other. Warning lights came back on, jumpiness went away but still felt like all the brakes were dragging.

2012 Rubicon, 3 inch teraflex lift with 35's. Had just finished welding on the C-Gussets and front Control Arm Skids. And used the winch to pull another vehicle into the shop, parking brake engaged, engine idling, which resulted in the rear tires of the Jeep sliding on the somewhat slick shop floor for probably 5 feet (was pulling an older chevy dually that's getting a new engine back into the shop rather than pushing it in).

From searching the internet, sounds like it might be the Dynamic Sensor? Any other thoughts? Dealership down the road has it at the moment and is trying to diagnose but noting having much luck. Hoping that with the collective wisdom here, someone will have gone through this already and know what the problem is.

Any thoughts?

biggy

I had all those symptoms and it turned out to be the front passenger unit bearing. Trouble codes were for the front passenger speed sensor but it was the actual unit bearing creating the problem. I had to pull the abs fuses just to get home because the brakes were constantly locking up.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bbailey

Banned
I had all those symptoms and it turned out to be the front passenger unit bearing. Trouble codes were for the front passenger speed sensor but it was the actual unit bearing creating the problem. I had to pull the abs fuses just to get home because the brakes were constantly locking up.

That could easily be it especially since I'd just finished welding up the C-Gussets. Could have easily fried a bearing though I'm pretty careful not to get too much heat in there. Still, could have happened.

Thanks, first I've heard of that being a possibility.

biggy

That could easily be it especially since I'd just finished welding up the C-Gussets. Could have easily fried a bearing though I'm pretty careful not to get too much heat in there. Still, could have happened.

Thanks, first I've heard of that being a possibility.

The dealership should be able to pull the codes and pinpoint the problem. I doubt you damaged the bearing welding the gussets. It may just be a sensor or if the bearing is toast it can change the distance away from the sensor creating problems. How many miles on the jeep?

bbailey

Banned
The dealership should be able to pull the codes and pinpoint the problem. I doubt you damaged the bearing welding the gussets. It may just be a sensor or if the bearing is toast it can change the distance away from the sensor creating problems. How many miles on the jeep?

45k, has had a crappy Teraflex lift on it since 5000 miles. I've got maybe 750 miles on it primarily driving back and forth to my office as its spent most of its time up on jackstands getting prepped for new bumpers, armor, coilovers, and the like.

Starting to think we might have pinched a wire and triggers a short or a partial short when welding the gussets. We had to move quite a bit out of the way and some of the brackets Teraflex included with the lift that's on her aren't exactly logical.

bbailey

Banned
Looks like a bad speed sensor for anyone curious. Hoping the dealership can take care of it quickly as I'm supposed to go camping and do some wheeling this weekend.

Right Rudder

Looks like a bad speed sensor for anyone curious. Hoping the dealership can take care of it quickly as I'm supposed to go camping and do some wheeling this weekend.

Hope it gets fixed, I've had cruise control kick off/ESC come on for a second at highway speeds when i went over a bump or drop-off and the suspension unloaded, but never had the ESC stay on like you are describing. Please post detailed results (if you don't mind) if the dealer repairs it, i would be curious to hear the cause of the issue.

loscann48

yep, i have the same problem mine was on for 4 weeks, but as soon as I ordered my speed sensor it cleared itself and hasn't come on since. it seems pretty common of a problem with the jk's, especially ones around 50k. speed sensors are easy to get at, especially the rear, and it only cost $20 from the local mom & pop auto parts store. I'm not a mechanic by any means and could change the rear in less than 30 minute...maybe a few minutes longer for the front since you have to take off the rotor. also, i have heard that a misalignment can cause this. I wouldn't give the stealership your money unless you have no other choice.

bbailey

Banned
yep, i have the same problem mine was on for 4 weeks, but as soon as I ordered my speed sensor it cleared itself and hasn't come on since. it seems pretty common of a problem with the jk's, especially ones around 50k. speed sensors are easy to get at, especially the rear, and it only cost $20 from the local mom & pop auto parts store. I'm not a mechanic by any means and could change the rear in less than 30 minute...maybe a few minutes longer for the front since you have to take off the rotor. also, i have heard that a misalignment can cause this. I wouldn't give the stealership your money unless you have no other choice.

Completely agree, sadly time is my enemy. Leaving Friday afternoon for a weekend wheeling /camping trip so I'm simply in a bind. It's got to be fixed and I don't have time to do it before leaving.

loscann48

Just replaced my rear sensor because it decided to start acting up again. Literally took me 12 minutes, and 7 of that was trying find the right tools. To remove rear sensor you will need 8mm socket, at least a 4 inch extension, and ratchet. You can reach the bolt going between the shock and axle with extension. The following info probably won't make a difference for most, but it will for those in the Northeast. When I pulled my sensor it was glazed over with that road brine deicer crap they coat the roads with. You know, the same shit that turns your car white, coats your windshield so you cant see, and corrodes everything...but hey, it keeps the roads ice free and safe....oh wait, no it doesn't! I am going clean that crap off and see if my sensor will. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom