Sputtering issue

TNuggs13

So when driving between 37-43 mph the jeep starts to sputter a little. It's only around these speeds and if I give it a little more gas it's fine. I notice it does it when I slow down and have to regain speed again or if I'm going up a grade. I have an auto so it's not an issue of being I the wrong gear like a manual. Any ideas? Throttle body need cleaning? Trans? Not really sure.

noroad

So when driving between 37-43 mph the jeep starts to sputter a little. It's only around these speeds and if I give it a little more gas it's fine. I notice it does it when I slow down and have to regain speed again or if I'm going up a grade. I have an auto so it's not an issue of being I the wrong gear like a manual. Any ideas? Throttle body need cleaning? Trans? Not really sure.

how many miles could be a coil pack!

JKWrang

Coil packs are electrical coils that initiate each spark plug (basically). The JK is distributor less. Im sure there is a much more technical explanation. But that's pretty much it.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

jeeeep

Hooked
i'd try throttle body cleaning 1st - IMO these tend to get dirty pretty fast, I run Superchips performance tune and have Screamin Demon coil + live wires and still have to clean the TB more often then I feel I should.

Remove the TB to clean it, it's not difficult - don't over-torque putting it back on.

TNuggs13

Cool I'll have to research how to clean it and give that a shot. Not very experienced. For the fuel pump how tough is that to check out? Is it in the tank like the Chevy trucks?

Thanks for the response everyone.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Cool I'll have to research how to clean it and give that a shot. Not very experienced. For the fuel pump how tough is that to check out? Is it in the tank like the Chevy trucks?

Thanks for the response everyone.

All late model fuel pumps are in the tank except for most diesel applications. I think you'd have more issues than sputtering at speed. Though it is worth checking the fuel pressure. You'll probably need a shop to do this if you don't have a pressure gauge. There are certain adequate pressures the pump needs to maintain, a good mechanic can check it out for you. I'd lean more towards an ignition issue though.

TNuggs13

All late model fuel pumps are in the tank except for most diesel applications. I think you'd have more issues than sputtering at speed. Though it is worth checking the fuel pressure. You'll probably need a shop to do this if you don't have a pressure gauge. There are certain adequate pressures the pump needs to maintain, a good mechanic can check it out for you. I'd lean more towards an ignition issue though.

Ignition? Huh. I don't know anything about them. Why do you think that? And by ignition are you talking about the key ignition or the firing of cylinders?

noroad

Aka... spark plugs and coil packs ;)

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

ya like i said in the first post lol hahaha simple fix happened in my old passat all the time lol go to auto zone and have them plug it, should tell you what cylinder number aka coil number is miss firing. they should have them in stock as well.

TNuggs13

ya like i said in the first post lol hahaha simple fix happened in my old passat all the time lol go to auto zone and have them plug it, should tell you what cylinder number aka coil number is miss firing. they should have them in stock as well.

I just got a smog check about 2 months ago. Would it have passed smog with this issue?

noroad

I just got a smog check about 2 months ago. Would it have passed smog with this issue?

it has nothing to do with smog, it what makes ur engine fire and spark to start and run. major sign of this problem is sputtering when speeding up or with in a MPH braket such as 45 to 50 or 50 to 65(random numbers) hard driving. this may not be ur problem but it is what i would look at first as it is very easy to fix and easy on the wallet.

TNuggs13

it has nothing to do with smog, it what makes ur engine fire and spark to start and run. major sign of this problem is sputtering when speeding up or with in a MPH braket such as 45 to 50 or 50 to 65(random numbers) hard driving. this may not be ur problem but it is what i would look at first as it is very easy to fix and easy on the wallet.

Cool thanks. I'm due for a service very soon so I'll check it out.

noroad

If it is a miss fire would it throw a code? Would my Flashpaq be able to show me the code?

not sure never happened to me in my jeep, my moms ford never did my passat did, but it could not be fully broken just on the way out or bad spark plugs i would go to auto zone or whatever and get new plugs and try that prob take 30 mins top to change them all out, for 12 bucks as you are at 55 and it wouldnt hurt to do them. may be try there scanner there as well.

Top Bottom