break job

TJforlife89

The time has come for me to purchase new brakes for my 02 wrangler. I do have 33x12.5 inch tires on there. should i get an after market brake set or should stock be ok? If i should invest in after market what is the best/affordable set out there?

Last edited:

pvanweelden

Convert your rear axle to disc brake. That would be the first thing i would do, before messing with anything else.
Jeep ZJ would be the donor for calipers.

jeepwayoflife

The rear drum brakes are fine really... 80% of braking is done with the front brakes. The biggest advantage is you don't have to adjust the disk brakes but for the price to switch it wasn't worth it to me.

Black Magic Brakes are probably the best brakes you can get for the stock application. I run them as well as numerous guys on wrangler forum. Black magic pads and centric premium rotors are a great combo.

Last edited:

dex3361

Depends on where you off road. If you do a lot of hills like here in WV disc brakes are a huge upgrade. If you have ever had to back down a steep hill it may save you from losing control. Drum brakes just do not work well in reverse.

jeepwayoflife

Depends on where you off road. If you do a lot of hills like here in WV disc brakes are a huge upgrade. If you have ever had to back down a steep hill it may save you from losing control. Drum brakes just do not work well in reverse.

Yeah my ebrake is pretty much useless in reverse with drum brakes in the back.

Top Bottom