37 inch talk!!

BadApple

Ok here we go im ready for the bashing but its a serious question and no search turned up what i wanted to know. I picked up a set of used 37 inch MTRKs today and wanted to ask the newb question of the day lol. So I have a 2011 sport just had Truss (yea, yea, waste of money) C gussets and new ball joints installed. With these 37s what is my countdown on this D30. I do not wheel much at all maybe once every 2 months and for the next year its garage bound since I'm deployed. Who is currently running this setup or just 37s on a 30 and what is my eta for explosion on this axle? I know its been brought up before but never really answered.

Thanks in advance and OverlanderJK Lets hear the bashing lol

JKFlyer

I've done tons research on this and if u r truly road warrior like me, no expiration date. Light Wheeling ok. Heavy wheeling.. then u have issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKFlyer

I've done tons research on this and if u r truly road warrior like me, no expiration date. Light Wheeling ok. Heavy wheeling.. then u have issues

But garage bound it will explode lol!

I know a guy locally who's been driving this setup for years ...hes a sponsor at lots of events...no issue w d30.. just reg ear it

pauljbrennan

Mate, all good. Put some lockers in whilst regear (5.13 if you have the 3.6L auto) and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JKFlyer

Mate, all good. Put some lockers in whilst regear (5.13 if you have the 3.6L auto) and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Eddie has a chart

Attachments

• 1394369790641.jpg
    1394369790641.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 285

BadApple

Im good with 4:88s and negative on the lockers. i want that 30 to last as long as possible while i save up for a PR44 lockers means more problems. Im still rocking a ol 3.8 but have started purchasing things for a 4bt swap i have motor and harness just need mounts and a tranny/t case.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im good with 4:88s and negative on the lockers. i want that 30 to last as long as possible while i save up for a PR44 lockers means more problems.

4.88's and open will help keep you from breaking your shafts and r&p and if you upgrade to chromo shafts with full circle clips, you should do okay for a while. If you like to bomb through the AZ desert, your tubes will bend even with sleeves or a truss but really, it's not that big of a deal. I was able to get about 60,000 miles out of my factory housing before it was bent enough to need replacing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a comprehensive chart like this for the TJ RUBI, 4.0, 6 speed manual?

Sorry, there is not. What tire size are you wanting to run? I might be able to help point you in the right direction just the same.

Armydog

Sorry, there is not. What tire size are you wanting to run? I might be able to help point you in the right direction just the same.

She's sitting on 35"X12.5"X15" Micky Ts right now. I might try and push to 37" but the wife complains it's already "too high" so not for a while. Like I said 05 Rubi with the 4.0 and manual. I want to do some light wheeling but most of my driving will be pretty lame compared to what you guys throw down. Side question, going to rotate the sneakers today, are the mts directional tread? They seem to be....

Thanks brother

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

BadApple

This is good to hear. So mine should last about 400,578 miles since I drive miss daisy :crazyeyes: :cheesy:

HAHAHA Frank i dont think your JK will last that long unless you make its VIN into a buggy after its first life is over. I picked up my 37s for 350 bucks half tread the only downfall is its 2 MTRKs and 2 Cooper STTs they are 50% tread and i also got 3 spare stts that are uneven tread for just spares. The MTRs and the STTs measure the same aired up so im not worried about it im just gonna buy two more used MTRs before to long so they all match i just wanna see how it acts with 37s for now

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
She's sitting on 35"X12.5"X15" Micky Ts right now. I might try and push to 37" but the wife complains it's already "too high" so not for a while. Like I said 05 Rubi with the 4.0 and manual. I want to do some light wheeling but most of my driving will be pretty lame compared to what you guys throw down. Side question, going to rotate the sneakers today, are the mts directional tread? They seem to be....

Thanks brother

With your 4.0L motor and manual transmission, 4.56 will get you running back at stock performance with your 35's but, I might opt for a 4.88's as that'll give you a bit more power and get you closer to what you'd want with 37's should you make that jump. If you have Baja Claws, yes, they are directional. Best you can do is front to back and back to front.

Armydog

With your 4.0L motor and manual transmission, 4.56 will get you running back at stock performance with your 35's but, I might opt for a 4.88's as that'll give you a bit more power and get you closer to what you'd want with 37's should you make that jump. If you have Baja Claws, yes, they are directional. Best you can do is front to back and back to front.

Cool. Thought they looked "one way". Going to swap them and change the oil today. I think 4.88 should be they way to go to keep the options open - will she suck ass while still on the 35s or is it a good compromise?

I put some knock off spacers on her because I wanted 2" outboard increase. Didn't find the better spacers like spider track that wide. Long story short, I now have a wobble at 35 mph that goes away at around 40 mph. Figure this has to be the Chinese spacers. Going to reset and re torque them today as well, maybe that will help. Have you used or heard anything good of bad about the dyna beads internal balancing stuff? Tempted to try that option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. Thought they looked "one way". Going to swap them and change the oil today. I think 4.88 should be they way to go to keep the options open - will she suck ass while still on the 35s or is it a good compromise?

I ran 4.88's with 35's on my TJ before going up to 37's and found them to be a good compromise. At highway speeds, I was running on the high side of RPM's but, not so bad that it sucked. I still drove it out from CA to places like Moab without even thinking about it.

I put some knock off spacers on her because I wanted 2" outboard increase. Didn't find the better spacers like spider track that wide. Long story short, I now have a wobble at 35 mph that goes away at around 40 mph. Figure this has to be the Chinese spacers. Going to reset and re torque them today as well, maybe that will help.

When you installed them, did you make sure to remove the assembly washers off your rotors? When you say wobble, do you feel it in your entire Jeep or just the steering?

Have you used or heard anything good of bad about the dyna beads internal balancing stuff?

I'm sure you'll have people coming on here to swear by them but to me, they're just snake oil. I wouldn't waste your money on them.

Armydog

Appreciate the input. Yes I took the friction washers off and the wobble is slight, just in the steering wheel nit felt in the body...

Top Bottom