Third brake light/Plate Light wiring relocation help

JAGS

Hooked
So this is hopefully an easy question for those that have done a third brake light and license plate light wiring relocation. This would be for centering both lights for use on an aftermarket carrier such as EVO, Genright, OR-Fab, etc, etc. Here's my question(s):

Lic. Plate Light:
Being that the existing plate light is on drivers side, how did you tap that plate light source and then run it to the new carrier? Or, did you tap into wiring on the passenger side somewhere. And, how did you route it to the outside tailgate to run along the carrier.

Brake Light:
Same general question. Where did you grab the wiring to tap and how did you run it to your aftermarket carrier.

There are numerous solutions for the lights themselves, but I'm more wondering about the wiring source as nothing I've found says how to get proper electrical source for your lighting solution.

Thanks for any help, pics, direction, links, etc. I'll be running the EVO carrier and will need to solve the plate and brake lighting.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
i have the oro brake light. i used all the wiring behind the passenger side. and grabbed the third brake light from behind the black panel on the gate. let me see what wires i used., i know the third brake light was white with brown stripe. if you try using the light from the harness, your third light will blink. let me see what i used. give me a few

olram30

ok, white wire with brown stripe in black cover on tailgate is third brake light.
black wire on tail lamp is ground
white with purple stripe is running lights, they come on with head lights.
so if using the oro light, black = black,
green = white w/ purple stripe
red= white with brown stripe.
if you have a rubicon, you have to take out the sub and run the brake light through the grommet on top.

Last edited:

olram30

Then instead of running your wires through the gate, just run them down the rear passenger side corner and with wire loom. You can zip tie it to the carrier, or get fancy and drill holes in the carrier and run them that way.

JAGS

Hooked
^^^ I've seen where this can cause issues with the passenger tail light dim out or be off. Did you experience any issues.

- Jason

olram30

^^^ I've seen where this can cause issues with the passenger tail light dim out or be off. Did you experience any issues.

- Jason

none, the oro uses led lights. hardly draws any power. you going to buy the evo light kit? or piece together your own corner lights?

JK's JK

Banned
***EDIT***

This is what I did. I wanted to have the 3rd light and light up my rear license plate. So what I did is bought the Poison spyder tramp stamp and license plate delete. Then I cut off the connector for the license plate light and inline spliced it to a wire I ran underneath the vehicle over to the other side of the Jeep. From there I run it up into the cab into the cloth that runs into the rear door. I also took part the rear tire carrier, cut apart the light so it would fit behind the tramp stamp. I went over to O'reilys and bought a trailer light to get the license plate to light up. Then I had two big holes to cover up so I went over to OSH and bought some plastic inserts.

DSC01463.JPG DSC01464.JPG DSC01488.JPG DSC01489.JPG

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
none, the oro uses led lights. hardly draws any power. you going to buy the evo light kit? or piece together your own corner lights?

Similar but slightly different lights for the EVO corners. Still circle LEDs.

To be honest, I haven't even asked ORE if they could just start the wiring for the third/plate light. Kind of just thought about it over the weekend.

- Jason

AlStew

ok, white wire with brown stripe in black cover on tailgate is third brake light.
if you have a rubicon, you have to take out the sub and run the brake light through the grommet on top.

Thanks for posting this. I have never wired anything before and this was helpful.

simplemind

IMG_2662.jpg

I thought this was pretty clever from the guy I bought the Jeep from. He used an LED motorcycle tail light that shines through the wheel.

liljohn850

So this is hopefully an easy question for those that have done a third brake light and license plate light wiring relocation. This would be for centering both lights for use on an aftermarket carrier such as EVO, Genright, OR-Fab, etc, etc. Here's my question(s):

Lic. Plate Light:
Being that the existing plate light is on drivers side, how did you tap that plate light source and then run it to the new carrier? Or, did you tap into wiring on the passenger side somewhere. And, how did you route it to the outside tailgate to run along the carrier.

Brake Light:
Same general question. Where did you grab the wiring to tap and how did you run it to your aftermarket carrier.

There are numerous solutions for the lights themselves, but I'm more wondering about the wiring source as nothing I've found says how to get proper electrical source for your lighting solution.

Thanks for any help, pics, direction, links, etc. I'll be running the EVO carrier and will need to solve the plate and brake lighting.

I tapped into the wire from the existing third brake light wire, and I extended the wire for the license plate light along with I think the ground from the existing third brake light. Ran it neatly to the ORO light. I'll snap a picture if I remember when I get off. I ran all the wires together and bound them up with the other wires going to the tail gate.

Please explain the green - white/purple again? Where are you pulling this from? Thanks.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Man, this got bumped and I realized I still haven't done this wiring. 😳😳 I need to go back and read this thread so I can run my brake/plate lights.

- Jason

olram30

Please explain the green - white/purple again? Where are you pulling this from? Thanks.

you tie into the passenger side tail light. the white with purple wire is your running lights, if using the oro it has 3 wires if i remember. you put the green wire from oro to the white/purple.that is your license plate light. the red oro is your 3rd brake light. that goes to the white w/ brown stripe from the tailgate. black oro is ground. hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

Feathead

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410971188.011745.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1410971235.195349.jpg
This is what I did. I pulled the wires for the third brake light from the tailgate. I drilled holes underneath the tail lamp on the passenger side and ran those wires through with the grommet along with wires for a new LED light.
As you can see in the pictures I did the same thing with the coax cable for my CB.
Remove the rear tail lamp and you have easy access to pull the wires through from the existing rubber boot just behind the rollbar brace.

JK1

I just wired up the ORO plate light and 3rd brake light on my EVO carrier.. I ran a wire from the old plate location from the corner up the tub under the seat and down the tub on the pass side and connected it in the corner to the ORO harness also cut the white/brown wire there too and picked a ground pretty easy.:beer: if you have the evo carrier i drilled a hole just past the JJ threads and ran the wire throught the tube to the center then drilled another small hole there to get the wire out.. I had already drilled holes before powder coating the hinge and armor behind where the JJ bolts the the hinge bracket to access the empty area behind the light that made things alot easier on both sides (driver side is CB coax hole):beer:

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I just wired up the ORO plate light and 3rd brake light on my EVO carrier.. I ran a wire from the old plate location from the corner up the tub under the seat and down the tub on the pass side and connected it in the corner to the ORO harness also cut the white/brown wire there too and picked a ground pretty easy.:beer: if you have the evo carrier i drilled a hole just past the JJ threads and ran the wire throught the tube to the center then drilled another small hole there to get the wire out.. I had already drilled holes before powder coating the hinge and armor behind where the JJ bolts the the hinge bracket to access the empty area behind the light that made things alot easier on both sides (driver side is CB coax hole):beer:

You have any picks you can post up?

Top Bottom