Transmission has died for the second time!

jelliott076

Well, we had an awesome trip to Panamint Valley...until my BRAND NEW transmission (with 10 to 15k on it) took a dump! I had to have the JK towed to a Jeep Chrysler Dealer in Barstow and left her there until tomorrow.
More to come..

..this can't be normal...

Sent from my SGH-T699 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jelliott076

Yeah this sucks bigtime. Last time the dealer tried to blame my mod's. This time there's no reason, the darn thing is still spotless. There is litterally no dirt or grime on it.

.more to come..

Panamint was absolutely gorgious... I will post those when I get the chance.

Sent from the PASSENGER SEAT of my in-laws lexus. Fuuuu*****dgee....SGH-T699 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jelliott076

Thanks all, hopefully this is a cheap warranty fix. This is the worst possible time for this garbage to happen.

jelliott076

That sucks josh! Hopefully they get you squared away quick.

Yeah man this sucks monkey nuts. We were luck enough to get rescued by Melissa's parents otherwise her and I would be missing work tomorrow. Perry Chrysler must really like pissing me off. Its been less than a year since the last episode. 4/13 to be exact. No way this is my doing. I can count the number of time I've had it in 4low on two hands.

jelliott076

Spoke to Perry Chrysler this morning, the group that did the original tranny swap on 4/17/13. Their Service Advisor Kent Johnson stated the remand transmissions carry a 10yr/ 100k mile warranty. On 4/17 it had 42789mi on it. Yesterday when it took a dump there was 58838, only 16049miles over a year. Sounds like warranty work to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, what the hell??? Were there any warning signs leading up to its failure or did it just stop working out of the blue? Glad to hear you're warranty will be covering you but still, what a pain.

jelliott076

Oh man, what the hell??? Were there any warning signs leading up to its failure or did it just stop working out of the blue? Glad to hear you're warranty will be covering you but still, what a pain.

Well...the plot thickens. I contacted Soutar's Jeep and spoke to the service manager. He said it would be tomorrow before they'd have the chance to look at it. The guy actually said "when it fails to meet warranty" on the comput he will call me. How do I attract such ding bats?!

...more to follow..

Sent from the passenger seat of my buddy's Prius using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepFan

Hooked
Well...the plot thickens. I contacted Soutar's Jeep and spoke to the service manager. He said it would be tomorrow before they'd have the chance to look at it. The guy actually said "when it fails to meet warranty" on the comput he will call me. How do I attract such ding bats?!

...more to follow..

What is "when it fails to meet warranty" supposed to mean? :crazyeyes: What a bummer Josh! I hope they get it sorted out soon...

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I had the manual trans in my '12 shoot craps at 9K, I sounded like it'll was full of gravel. The new one is making the same noise at 30K, just not quite as prominent. They told me Chrysler won't let them pull the new one out under warranty, they claim it's "normal" noise. I've just been putting up with and I hope they cover it when it finally bites the dust. Hope they take care of you man.

jelliott076

Occurs to me I didn't answer your question: There were a few random high rpm bursts that I thought was the super charger acting wonky. It basically came out of the blue. Everything went to crap in a 12hour period. I'm just glad we made it out of Panamint.

What is "when it fails to meet warranty" supposed to mean? :crazyeyes: What a bummer Josh! I hope they get it sorted out soon...

The dude was a prick. Luckily I called Chrysler and they had it towed from Barstow to Victorville at no cost to me. The Service Advisor in Barstow didn't sound to confident and a bit of a sleeze. He probably took one look at my rig and figured he could take me for everything.

I had the manual trans in my '12 shoot craps at 9K, I sounded like it'll was full of gravel. The new one is making the same noise at 30K, just not quite as prominent. They told me Chrysler won't let them pull the new one out under warranty, they claim it's "normal" noise. I've just been putting up with and I hope they cover it when it finally bites the dust. Hope they take care of you man.

Chrysler HQ was great with me. They looked up my service record and when the tranny was exchanged last time guaranteeing it would be warranty work, and gave me the tow to the other shop. I'd call Chrysler directly and talk with someone.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Occurs to me I didn't answer your question: There were a few random high rpm bursts that I thought was the super charger acting wonky. It basically came out of the blue. Everything went to crap in a 12hour period. I'm just glad we made it out of Panamint.

The dude was a prick. Luckily I called Chrysler and they had it towed from Barstow to Victorville at no cost to me. The Service Advisor in Barstow didn't sound to confident and a bit of a sleeze. He probably took one look at my rig and figured he could take me for everything.

Chrysler HQ was great with me. They looked up my service record and when the tranny was exchanged last time guaranteeing it would be warranty work, and gave me the tow to the other shop. I'd call Chrysler directly and talk with someone.

That's good to know. It really hasn't gotten any worse and I've put 10K on it since they last looked at it. Unlike you, it hasn't left me stranded and it hasn't shown any signs that it will. So I may just let it get worse and deal with it at that point, but when that time comes I'll definitely get in touch with Chrysler as you suggested.

jelliott076

That's good to know. It really hasn't gotten any worse and I've put 10K on it since they last looked at it. Unlike you, it hasn't left me stranded and it hasn't shown any signs that it will. So I may just let it get worse and deal with it at that point, but when that time comes I'll definitely get in touch with Chrysler as you suggested.

Be careful with it. As I found out it went from fine to fu** in a very short amount of time and gave very little warning. Chrysler is at 800-992-1997

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Be careful with it. As I found out it went from fine to fu** in a very short amount of time and gave very little warning. Chrysler is at 800-992-1997

I'll definitely keep an eye on it. From other threads I've posted this issue in, it sounds like its most likely a throw out bearing and they only warranty them up to 15K since it's clutch related. I'm getting ready to change the fluid in it soon and I'm gonna be ready to look for any sparkles in the oil, hopefully I don't find any. This will ease my mind about it being an internal trans problem.

jelliott076

Sorry bro!

That sucks, but I think you have warranty

Yeah Brankz, I'm covered under the 10yr/100K mile warranty on the remand transmission.

I'll definitely keep an eye on it. From other threads I've posted this issue in, it sounds like its most likely a throw out bearing and they only warranty them up to 15K since it's clutch related. I'm getting ready to change the fluid in it soon and I'm gonna be ready to look for any sparkles in the oil, hopefully I don't find any. This will ease my mind about it being an internal trans problem.

It's been years since I've owned a standard transmission. I do remember the feeling when a clutch is about to dump, but I've never heard the sound you're describing. Sucks that you're out of warranty.

Top Bottom