Rubicon front 44 questions

noroad

I was looking at a friends jk front dana 44 that is for sale, he has it sleeved and gussed with rcv's, OEM locker and 4.10s, this is a two part question now! #1 if i get it what lockers can fit in the front after the OEM one breaks(im on 37s)! #2 what would you pay for this front end!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I really wouldn't waste your money on it. For however much you can get for it, you could just as easily save up a bit more and get a ProRock 44 when you actually need it. Trust me, it's just not worth it to spend any money on an axle that is a Dana 44 in name only and you can't just throw money at it hoping that it'll be anything more.

With RCV axles your weakest link will be your ring and pinion. As for the locker look for one that goes with a Dana 44, number of axle tooth and ring size.

Used Rubi axles range from $1000 just for the housing up to $2800. The RCV axles are about $1200 plus or minus.

R/
Will

Armydog

Honestly, I really wouldn't waste your money on it. For however much you can get for it, you could just as easily save up a bit more and get a ProRock 44 when you actually need it. Trust me, it's just not worth it to spend any money on an axle that is a Dana 44 in name only and you can't just throw money at it hoping that it'll be anything more.

Question, if I hold out and save up for PR44's should I just wait and save a little more for the PR60's? Never gonna due all the stuff you guys do, but would like to build a capable rig. Figure I'll run the stock Rubi axles until they break.... Sorry for the hijack but seemed the right place to ask and re- ask a question while I count my pennies....

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

noroad

Question, if I hold out and save up for PR44's should I just wait and save a little more for the PR60's? Never gonna due all the stuff you guys do, but would like to build a capable rig. Figure I'll run the stock Rubi axles until they break.... Sorry for the hijack but seemed the right place to ask and re- ask a question while I count my pennies....

no i like the question as well! as i dream of 40s!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Being that you have a much lighter TJ, I don't know if you'd ever need a front 60 especially for the kind of wheeling you have back east. Honestly, I'll bet you can keep running your TJ Rubi axles indefinitely, even with 37's

Armydog

He has a TJ and it's a different ball of wax altogether.

Thinking....... Appreciate that. The rear drive shaft and skid/ belly pan are my next planned mod. Put yourself in my place for a minute (unload the revolver and untie the rope from the skylight..... It's not that bad!). Considering where I live and wheel, whom I work for and my budget, and what has been done to the pumpkin thus far...... What would YOU invest in next???? Just please don't say a Jk......

Tango in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking....... Appreciate that. The rear drive shaft and skid/ belly pan are my next planned mod. Put yourself in my place for a minute (unload the revolver and untie the rope from the skylight..... It's not that bad!). Considering where I live and wheel, whom I work for and my budget, and what has been done to the pumpkin thus far...... What would YOU invest in next???? Just please don't say a Jk......

Tango in advance.

LOL!! If I had a TJ Rubicon, I probably would have kept it so no, I would not say that you should get a JK. Having said that, are you planning on sticking with 35's or are you planning to go bigger? Either way, a 4" lift is a BIG lift for a TJ with short arms and I would seriously consider saving up for a long arm kit. If you want to do all the work yourself, I might recommend a Full Traction kit. I ran one on my TJ and was very happy with it. It's a ton of work to install but, it can be done and without any welding required. Click on the link below to see a write-up I did on it back in the day:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/full-traction.html

This will also get your belly up higher.

Armydog

LOL!! If I had a TJ Rubicon, I probably would have kept it so no, I would not say that you should get a JK. Having said that, are you planning on sticking with 35's or are you planning to go bigger? Either way, a 4" lift is a BIG lift for a TJ with short arms and I would seriously consider saving up for a long arm kit. If you want to do all the work yourself, I might recommend a Full Traction kit. I ran one on my TJ and was very happy with it. It's a ton of work to install but, it can be done and without any welding required. Click on the link below to see a write-up I did on it back in the day:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/full-traction.html

This will also get your belly up higher.

Funny you should say that because I HATE how the zone lift feels on the road and on trails. I have considered coming down some, the 4" seems top heavy and bounces a lot. Gonna run the MTs until they are bare, won't be long. Want 37s then, thinking nitto cause I love them on my dodge pick up. Don't want the TJ any taller would rather get it a little lower but with meatier sneakers. The plus side of this is my wife would have an easier time getting in and out as well....

Checking the write up now. Gonna look at full traction as well. Thinking with the MC tube fenders up front I should be able to stuff 37s under a 2.5" lift or so.........

noroad

So back to the question lol what else would fit if he gives me a good deal just in case im on the fence?

Moochie

No one has upgraded there rubicon front locker??

I've heard (not positive) that you can use an ARB locker with 35 spline shafts if the pound in Nitro sleeves are installed. What sleeves are in the above mentioned axle housing?

noroad

Does this lose all options or can a different locker work now? I no arb is out because of the sleeves but is there really nothing else

Moochie

37's will work on a OEM E-locker for a long time. I have about 70,000 miles on my rear OEM locker.

Top Bottom