Torn Boot on DL at Pitman Arm

Hey All,

I've tried doing some searching and found a few threads that helped give some context, but I could use some additional input. I've got a 2013 JKU. I put a 3" Zone lift on back in June. The kit included coils, longer nitro shocks, brake line drop brackets, new rear swaybar links, exhaust spacers, rear track bar relocation bracket, and I installed 1.5" wheel spacers at the same time. I've also installed a ruff stuff offset 1 ton tie rod late this summer after bending my stock tie rod while wheeling.

I've noticed something clunking a bit in the front end on the highway. I've been looking for something loose in the front end, but haven't found anything. I crawled back under yesterday to take a third look and noticed that I've now got a torn boot on the drag link at the pitman arm. Sorry for the dissertation, but I wanted to give context before asking for input. Here's what I'm wondering:

1. Can I replace just the boot, or should I replace the entire end?
  2. Is it possible that the joint is bad and that's what I have been feeling/hearing?
  3. I'm almost positive that the lift would be a contriubting factor to tearing the boot and/or ruining the joint, but I was under the impression that with 3" of lift - it wouldn't really be necessary to do a drag link flip or get a drop pitman arm.
The Jeep has been at the stealership a few times over the past 6 months. I've been having trouble with the transmission and they've already torn it apart twice and replaced bearing sets and other parts. Still having trouble with it, so it needs to go back in but I thought I'd take care of this issue first before taking it back in. I'm sure they wouldn't cover this under the warranty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can replace just the boot with an aftermarket polyurethane one but, it'll just tear too. The problem is that your drag link is probably sitting at too steep of an angle. A drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit might be something you'll want to look into in the future but for now, a torn boot is not that big of a deal.

Have someone turn your steering just a bit to the left and then to the right while you hold your drag link. If it shifts up and down or side to side, it's worn out and should be replaced. If it just rotates, it's fine.

Have someone turn your steering just a bit to the left and then to the right while you hold your drag link. If it shifts up and down or side to side, it's worn out and should be replaced. If it just rotates, it's fine.

Thanks for the prompt response and advice! I'll have someone help me check for any non-rotational play in the joint and if it's not worn, I guess I'll probably ask my service adviser to check for anything that would be causing that clunking feeling at highway speed since I can't seem to figure it out.

Top Bottom