Rebirth of POS

Z71_Willy

Howdy guys! I figured I might as well make a thread of the rebuilding of my 1986 Isuzu Trooper AKA "POS." It may not be a jeep... but hey a 4wd is a 4wd. :rock:

A little history about POS is that it was my first 4wd and was given to me by my grandfather. So it has a lot of sentimental value and good memories. My grandfather and I built POS back when I high school and was about to get my license. It was a rig for me to get around town and something to 4 wheel in on the weekends with my buddies. Now, I figure it's time to give some love to the old rig. So grandpa and I are back at it, but now with a different mission. That is to make this thing a better off road and hunting rig. Originally, it was a 2.3L 4 cylinder with everything bone stock and that all has to go. Now it's getting a major make over. The list of changes are listed below.

List:
•v6 chevy motor swap
•3 inch lift kit
•33 inch tires
•Put the body on a 1989 Isuzu trooper frame
•Tera low transfercase
•Rear locker
•Front ARB air lockers
•Full roll cage
•Cb radio
•50 inch light bar
•Warn 10,000lb winch
•Warn manual hubs
•Custom front and rear bummers
•Rock sliders
•Do body work and new paint
•Reupholster the seats

Currently, I have the rig taken completely apart and am getting the frame ready.

Some pictures of POS back when it ran.
image.jpg
POS on Sherman Pass jeep trail
image.jpg
A picture from just running around the mountains
image.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy my build!
Thanks,
Z71_Willy

JKFlyer

Welcome to WAL. ..a JEEP forum!! Lol. Good luck w ur build

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Why the frame swap? Why not a V8 since you're going through the swap trouble anyways?

Edit: What trail are the pictures takin on? Very scenic...Beautiful...

Z71_Willy

Why the frame swap? Why not a V8 since you're going through the swap trouble anyways?

I'm doing he frame swap for a better suspension set up. There isn't really any lifts lifts for an 1986 anymore. The v6 is just because it's a easy swap. All the bolts will line right up. Unlike the v8 where I would have to make motor mounts and other things. Also the donor car is a 1989 isuzu that I found for a cheap price so I figure why not use the motor out of it. It has a lot of life left in it an was already paid for since I bought the whole car. Lol A v8 would be cool tho...

Z71_Willy

O yeah and the trail I took those pictures on were the Sherman Pass Jeep trail. The one on the rock is down below Sherman pass near a place called Big Meadow. That whole area is really beautiful.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I'm doing he frame swap for a better suspension set up. There isn't really any lifts lifts for an 1986 anymore. The v6 is just because it's a easy swap. All the bolts will line right up. Unlike the v8 where I would have to make motor mounts and other things. Also the donor car is a 1989 isuzu that I found for a cheap price so I figure why not use the motor out of it. It has a lot of life left in it an was already paid for since I bought the whole car. Lol A v8 would be cool tho...

O yeah and the trail I took those pictures on were the Sherman Pass Jeep trail. The one on the rock is down below Sherman pass near a place called Big Meadow. That whole area is really beautiful.

Good answers haha...I'll have to add that one to my list of trails to check out! Good luck on the build!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
cant wait to see more of this and that your rebuilding it again, cool to have a project like that with your grandfather :thumb:

Z71_Willy

Hey guys here's an update on the building of POS. Currently, we have gotten the donor rig completely disassembled. Motor and tranny pulled, all the wires removed, and the body taken off the frame. The frame is being cleaned and painted before we put the body of POS on it. I have ordered and received a 3 inch calmini lift, 4 rancho RS9000XL shocks, Tera low transfercase gears, warn manual hubs, and parts that needed to be change on the engine. Here are some pictures but not the most recent ones. I will have pictures of the current status this weekend.

The original 2.3l engine that we will no longer be using.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395287941.877602.jpg
Just before the body was removed from the frame.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395288149.773378.jpg
The new rancho shocks.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395288291.633247.jpg

More to come this weekend!
- Z71_Willy

Z71_Willy

Picture update!

One is the frame that just got painted and is now ready for the lift kit and other things.The other is the transmission that I'm putting transfercase gears in. Lastly the is the 3 inch lift kit.

Z71_Willy

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395455788.006686.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395455788.006686.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 340
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395455828.933544.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395455828.933544.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 333
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395455847.736191.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395455847.736191.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

Z71_Willy

In the last two days, with help from friends, we finish up the new frame and got the body of POS completely stripped and taken off its old frame. Here are some pics!

Finished new frame.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395629602.959975.jpg

Interior stripped out of POS.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395629654.069061.jpg

Everything in the dash area was taken out.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395629727.280433.jpg

Took the body off the old frame to get it ready for the new frame.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395629789.274051.jpg

Thanks,
Z71_Willy

Top Bottom