2.5" lift / 3" lift

Jay_r24

Hey Fellow Jeepers! :standing wave:

I am looking to install a lift on my wife's 4 Dr JK, im going with a budget boost lift but replacing the factory shocks. Is there a noticeable difference between a 2.5" and 3"? i know on paper there is not, but as far as seeing it on a jeep?

Thanks.

Hobolobo

I don't think the .5" difference would matter much as far as looks go. My wife barely noticed when i put my 2.5" lift on. But, and someone can correct me if im wrong, 3" is when you start having driveshaft issues and will need to replace them.

Hack12

I don't think the .5" difference would matter much as far as looks go. My wife barely noticed when i put my 2.5" lift on. But, and someone can correct me if im wrong, 3" is when you start having driveshaft issues and will need to replace them.

Correct. 3" and higher and you should certainly think about replacing your front driveshaft at the very least. FYI, my 2.5" RE lift gave me about 3" of actual height once installed, and that's with steel bumpers.

Hobolobo

Correct. 3" and higher and you should certainly think about replacing your front driveshaft at the very least. FYI, my 2.5" RE lift gave me about 3" of actual height once installed, and that's with steel bumpers.

Did your kit replace the springs as well? That was the main reason i went with a bb. No extra money for driveshafts yet, so i wanted exactly 2.5" so i didnt have any issues.

Hack12

Did your kit replace the springs as well? That was the main reason i went with a bb. No extra money for driveshafts yet, so i wanted exactly 2.5" so i didnt have any issues.

Yeah, mine came with springs. I also bought Bilstein 5100 shocks to compliment the added height.

I don't have any driveshaft issues, however, I am right on the line. If I were to go any higher replacement would be imperative. It may still be something I do someday, but as of now nothing is rubbing or failing.

Hobolobo

Well, maybe during our banter we've successfully answered the question at hand. Two different setups and both work well.

jeeeep

Hooked

If you have a 2012 or newer, you will want to invest in a front drive shaft to clear the exhaust crossover. There are options to move the crossover but IMO it's easier to save the extra for a DS.

Older Jeeps are fine for a while - I ran my 2010 with 35's, 3.5" lift and stock DS for 2 years before it failed - it was wheeled and several trips to Moab as well...

Lake jeeper

Jay, mine is a 2012 JK sahara withe a 2.5" suspension and 35" tires, it rides great and looks awsome to me ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394496946.096791.jpg

Sent from somewhere else

Lake jeeper

Thanks, I used the skyjacker 2.5" suspension lift from 4 wheel parts in Raleigh nc, their great to work with, Jon rice is who I felt with, best customer service ever ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394548417.833207.jpg good luck with everything, send out some pics

Sent from somewhere else

Top Bottom