Engine light because aftermarket oil filter?

tkkim

Hi I went to dealer ship cuz engine light which shows code ------- so I had no idea what's wrong with my jeep. I left my jeep and they call me reason is I used after market engine oil filter..? I've never heard about this reason..

Does anyone have same issue?

tkkim

So it didn't show a code? I could speculate on reasons they would mention the oil filter but what was the code?

I think it was P0344 which is cam shaft sensor? problem. dealer said problem is that too but they call me sensor downs't have problem and they doubt cuz after market engine oil filter...

they keep my jeep to take some more test so I'll post tomorrow what they say

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I think it was P0344 which is cam shaft sensor? problem. dealer said problem is that too but they call me sensor downs't have problem and they doubt cuz after market engine oil filter...

they keep my jeep to take some more test so I'll post tomorrow what they say

I don't know off the top of my head how our vvt works but, the oil filter could have an issue affecting oil pressure in turn affecting the vvt in one way or another. Again I'm talking out of my rear end as I haven't looked in to how our vvt system works. If they have an issue with the filter (I never admit to anything ("aftermarket filter")) tell them to change it and you will pay for it when they show you it corrected the problem. You want to keep the old filter. Even if just to mess with them. The filters aren't much money. I'll subscribe, curious what happens tomorrow.

tkkim

ok it's kinda late but I'll post about what happened.

so dealer said they don't know exact reason but they guess cuz I used after market engine oil filter. till now my jk was fine but just now I got engine code and slop code together then my jeep can't go over 3000 rpm. it stuck around 2800.

So I check the engine code again it showed just '---------' nothing ...

I'm going to dealer tomorrow but so tired.. what's wrong with my jeep. this is my first american car...so unreliable. only 40k mi.

thinking to change car.

JKUx

ok it's kinda late but I'll post about what happened.

so dealer said they don't know exact reason but they guess cuz I used after market engine oil filter. till now my jk was fine but just now I got engine code and slop code together then my jeep can't go over 3000 rpm. it stuck around 2800.

So I check the engine code again it showed just '---------' nothing ...

I'm going to dealer tomorrow but so tired.. what's wrong with my jeep. this is my first american car...so unreliable. only 40k mi.

thinking to change car.

Curious did they replace the oil filter?

JKUx

Yes they did but it happened again..

To me that sounds like it was not the oil filter however, I have seen an aftermarket oil filter cause poor oil pressure that said I think your 12 jk is capable of setting a fault for this. I have an 08 jku-different engine...
If you can I would try a different dealer to see what their diagnosis confirms.
Hopefully Eddie or mods read this; maybe they've seen or experienced this before...

tkkim

To me that sounds like it was not the oil filter however, I have seen an aftermarket oil filter cause poor oil pressure that said I think your 12 jk is capable of setting a fault for this. I have an 08 jku-different engine...
If you can I would try a different dealer to see what their diagnosis confirms.
Hopefully Eddie or mods read this; maybe they've seen or experienced this before...

That's what I tried.. But the problem is engine light going on and off.. So i called other dealer today and they said if engine light isn't on, nothing they can do for me... So sigh..

JKUx

That's what I tried.. But the problem is engine light going on and off.. So i called other dealer today and they said if engine light isn't on, nothing they can do for me... So sigh..

This is my first Jeep so not too familiar with the way they store codes but
I've worked for VW/Audi and currently Honda even if the light goes out it usually sets a fault, do you or a friend have access to a generic scanner to at least see if an intermittent code is stored? Maybe a nearby autozone, over here they scan for free and print it out; then you can at least have proof to show them the code so it can be diagnosed by the next dealer.

tkkim

This is my first Jeep so not too familiar with the way they store codes but
I've worked for VW/Audi and currently Honda even if the light goes out it usually sets a fault, do you or a friend have access to a generic scanner to at least see if an intermittent code is stored? Maybe a nearby autozone, over here they scan for free and print it out; then you can at least have proof to show them the code so it can be diagnosed by the next dealer.

Thanks that's good idea.. Actually i'm waiting it happened again. But the weird thing is when I check the code cuz engine light show up, it usually has to show some p or some character and number of combination.. But it just show -------- of dash...

Top Bottom