Alignment--gone wrong

Last fall I installed Front and Rear EVO CO's and a long arm kit. I hadn't had an alignment done and thought I better get one done before jumping up to some 37's. This is how I got it back from the shop. Notice the how far forward the bottom bumpstop pads are? And check out how much they adjusted the top arms? Crap! Don't think my buddy's shop knows what they are doing... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394500869.337019.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394500888.136460.jpg

Rebel JK

Wow. Have you put an angle finder on the upper bj yet?looks like your caster is way in the negative. Hows it handle?

Rebel JK

Eddie has a really good writeup that explains the diy alignment you can use to check how yours is set. I just did it on mine

jeeeep

Hooked
they probably aligned to factory specs which...if you obviously are not running factory so that would put you off if they only used one set of the control arms to get your castor in check...what does your castor look like?

Last edited:
So from Eddie's write up, it looks like I need +4 degrees of Caster. That is factory.. I thought I read somewhere that a PR44 has +6 degrees. Do I want 4 or 6? What other factors are involved? Amount of lift? Tire size? None of the above, just set it at +4 and I'm good to go?

JK's JK

Banned
So from Eddie's write up, it looks like I need +4 degrees of Caster. That is factory.. I thought I read somewhere that a PR44 has +6 degrees. Do I want 4 or 6? What other factors are involved? Amount of lift? Tire size? None of the above, just set it at +4 and I'm good to go?

Not sure about axles but lift and tire size does not matter. The caster from 35 or 37 will be the same. I'll do some research on this as well.

***EDIT***

Might want to PM this guy. He installed a Prorock as well.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14754-Pro-rock-44-unlimited-help-on-setting-caster/page6&highlight=prorock+caster

Last edited:

ttfhell

I have a different axle but this is how mine looks. Did they cycle your suspension while disconnected? Prob not but that would tell you if the bumps will hit as they travel on an arc.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394511122.722442.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394511154.361112.jpg

I bought a digital angle gauge today. Looked at a few angles and it looks like they put it at neutral. So, I'm asking for my money back #1, and going to do it right myself. :yup:

Rebel JK

Very cool. So whats the verdict on the caster on the PR44? I would have thought it would still be +4*.?

JK's JK

Banned
I bought a digital angle gauge today. Looked at a few angles and it looks like they put it at neutral. So, I'm asking for my money back #1, and going to do it right myself. :yup:

Sounds like your buddies biz help you out....:doh:

Very cool. So whats the verdict on the caster on the PR44? I would have thought it would still be +4*.?

I'd think the same???

jesse3638

Hooked
Good question! Haven't looked it up, but i'm thinking the same thing....

Ok I'm gonna give my best explanation. The standard front axle on a JK has 6* of caster when your pinion angle is neutral (0*). The stock arms set the pinion angle at +1.8* giving you 4.2* of caster. The Prorock 44 Unlimited has added built in caster. If I remember correctly is has 10* of caster when you pinion angle is neutral (0*). This allows you to add more positive pinion angle without sacrificing caster. This to provide better drive line angles and prevent driveline vibrations. I know this is all clear as mud but I hope this helps. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will chime in and add on or correct any misinformation I provided. Hopefully Dynatrac is listening in and can provide you with exact info.

Ok I'm gonna give my best explanation. The standard front axle on a JK has 6* of caster when your pinion angle is neutral (0*). The stock arms set the pinion angle at +1.8* giving you 4.2* of caster. The Prorock 44 Unlimited has added built in caster. If I remember correctly is has 10* of caster when you pinion angle is neutral (0*). This allows you to add more positive pinion angle without sacrificing caster. This to provide better drive line angles and prevent driveline vibrations. I know this is all clear as mud but I hope this helps. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge will chime in and add on or correct any misinformation I provided. Hopefully Dynatrac is listening in and can provide you with exact info.

Spot on! Here is right form their web page...."When examining caster angle there are a
couple key points to consider. The first is the
relationship between the end forging king pin axis
and the pinion centerline when viewed directly
from the side of the axle, perpendicular to the wheel
mounting plane. The king pin axis is the centerline
formed by the two ball joints. Its just like a door
hinge set at an angle. The pinion gear accepts
power from the driveshaft and it has a centerline
where it is supported by bearings inside the
housing. The standard JK ProRock 44 axle has 6
degrees between the king pin axis and the pinion
centerline. This matches the stock JK Rubicon D44
axle. Caster is measured relative to the vertical axis
which would be normal to the ground level. When
the pinion angle is zero, caster is equal to the angle
between the kingpin axis and the pinion centerline.
Caster is generally configured between 4 and 8 degrees relative to the vertical axis, depending on
vehicle configuration. As the pinion points up the caster is reduced.
Dynatrac is currently manufacturing the ProRock 44 Unlimited edition axle which includes
more caster. These axles have 10 degrees of separation between the pinion and caster axis. They are
configured for a nominal 7 degrees caster and 3 degrees pinion angle. The axle can be adjusted usingconfigured for a nominal 7 degrees caster and 3 degrees pinion angle. The axle can be adjusted using
the control arms between 6-8 degrees caster and 2-4 degrees at the pinion. Please see our supplemental
document “JK ProRock 44: Choosing the Right Housing for My Jeep” available at the Dynatrac
website for more information about the JK ProRock 44 Unlimited. This can be helpful if you are
running a big lift and need the additional angle. The pinion will point up towards the transfer case front
output yoke without reducing caster to unsafe levels. When the pinion is rotated the upper and lower
control arm mounts must follow the pumpkin while the spring perches need to stay level with the
ground. The control arm mounts must roll up with the pinion because the driver side upper control arm
mount is cast into the pumpkin. The track bar bracket, spring perches, shock mounts, and sway bar
mounts will remain in the stock location while the pinion and control arm mounts rotate to the desired
angle."

Actually makes scents!:brows:

Rebel JK

So assuming the pinion angle was good prior to the latest alignment, and the shop didnt touch the lower arms, it seems that it would it be correct to set at 10*? I know its not my op but has me curious
Got it. Too slow

Last edited:
Stock D44... Well, I wasted my money on sleeves (EVO 44 mags), EVO C2 gussets, Dynotrac ball joints, new cover, Reed knuckles, new hubs, new brakes, and RCV's. Wishing I would have done a PR44 or 60.

Top Bottom