Shocks

07rub

Hey guys just looking for advise/opinion on shocks, im debating between bilstein 5100 or fox ifp 2.0 for my jkur, its going to be a on road rig for a bit with a baby coming and when time comes will do mild off roading /exploring /overland

thanks in advance

What springs do you have? Both you mention are a more firm shock. I know this for a fact on the 5100s and it's what I've been told on the Fox. I don't know exactly how the Fox are constructed but it is important to note that the 5100s are an oil shock and they have a small gas chamber to keep the oil under pressure and from cavitation when cycled. This chamber causes a small amount of travel to be sacrificed when compared to a gas shock of similar length but should last longer.

I have the 5160s which are very similar to the 5100s but they have a remote reservoir. The gas chamber is moved to reservoir so travel is marginally better. IMO they are too firm and I hope they wear in and soften up....

07rub

i have the stock coils right now with a 2" bb im mainly looking for something to compare to the stock shock, maybe better if anyone have a better suggestion im all hears or eyes in this context haha

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have the 5100 shocks and like the ride of them. i dont think that they are stiff but that is me comparing them to my old skyjacker ones i had. i cant weight in on the fox shocks as i have never been in a jeep with them.

another good shock to look into is the Rancho 9000's or 7000's. i hear they offer a great ride as well but once again i have never tested a set

dglangan

Hey guys just looking for advise/opinion on shocks, im debating between bilstein 5100 or fox ifp 2.0 for my jkur, its going to be a on road rig for a bit with a baby coming and when time comes will do mild off roading /exploring /overland

thanks in advance

I was debating between the same two. After talking to a bunch of people that had both, I decided on the 5100s. The 2.0s are more tuned for off road situations, and I wanted something with a little more comfort and livability, as my JKU is my dd. I needed something that would primarily be good on the rode. I have to say that the ride is better than stock. I really like the feel. I don't have much experience personally with the 2.0s but you really can't go wrong with the 5100s.

jeepj

When I was thinking of changing my shocks, I was in the same dilemma. I was coming from some terrible and harsh pro comp es9000 shocks and I ultimately went with the 5100s and it's a world of a difference. They offer a very comfortable ride and it absorbs bumps very well. You really can't go wrong with 5100s

RockyJk

I recently blew out my front 5100's and tried to get em warrantied cause I thought they had lifetime warranty, took em in and turns out it's only 90 days just fyi...

VADER JK

Along with a lot of the guys here I'm running the 5100s paired with the evo plush ride coils and am very happy with the ride.

Hack12

While I can't give you the comparison, Bilstein 5100's vs. the Fox IFP 2.0's, you originally asked about, I have been running the Bilstein 5100's with Rubicon Express coils for the past couple months. Coming from the OEM shock/spring setup, the 5100's do seem a bit stiffer than the OEM shocks, but that's actually something I don't mind. Also, as dglangan mentioned above, the outer coating on the 5100's does start to deteriorate quite fast. Mine are already showing signs of slight elemental wear after a mere 2 months of exposure. However, my 5100's are certainly not chrome, they match my painted silver body almost perfectly. I'm not sure where you guys are getting 'chrome' from?

After reading plenty of reviews and now running them myself, I would argue that the 5100's are a decent middle of the road shock absorber. They are certainly not the worst shocks on the market, but they are far from the best either. Truly though, if I could do it over again (and I may), I would probably purchase the Fox IPF 2.0's before the Bilstein 5100's. They seem like a little better of a shock and are only priced about $20.00 higher.

Just my :twocents:!

Rancho

Caught the Bug

thanks in advance

Something to consider ( the rebate is good for the crew up North too)

http://www.gorancho.com/promotions.php

Or RS7000MT is a monotube shock like the others mentioned but not as highly charged though so a softer "firmer" ride. :)

A really popular choice is our adjustable RS9000XL shock, get the ride you want.

Also recently Overland Journal did a shock review against some heavy hitters, (both brands mentioned earlier) and the 9000 won. :beer:

A couple more things about us our are warranty AND guarantee.

Performance Guarantee and 90-Day Risk-Free Ride Offer
We challenge you to try our Rancho® RS9000XL™ Shock Absorbers or our Rancho® RS7000MT™ Monotube Shock Absorbers risk-free for 90 days - if these products* don't meet the challenge, call us for your money back.

Try qualifying Rancho® products* for 90 days. We guarantee you'll experience the Rancho® performance difference! If, for any reason, the qualifying products* don't live up to your expectations within the first 90 days, return the products and we will refund your original product's purchase price (which shall not exceed the manufacturer’s suggested retail price), plus labor (not to exceed $50 per pair). We're that confident you will be satisfied with Rancho® RS9000XL™ shock absorbers! For questions about this offer, please contact our customer service department at 734-384-7898.

*Offer limited to the purchase of four (4) RS9000XL™ shock absorbers. This offer does not include products which have been modified, improperly applied or installed on vehicles used for commercial or racing purposes. Offer valid only in North America and Canada on vehicles used for private, non-commercial use and may be withdrawn at any time.

Limited Lifetime Warranty (limited to qualifying Rancho® products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Rancho® products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

Top Bottom