Speedo gear ?

Tiaan

Hi Guys,

I swopped out my d30 for a d44 and it has 3.73 gears in it. Well the chart says that if you run 33s with those gears you should need 31 speedo gear right? I have done it to the T and I am still about 10 mph off.

Any advice would be greatly appretiated

Thanks
Tiaan

kevinp

Okay I'm not 100% on all things Jeep, but are you talking front axle? If so, that shouldn't effect the speedo. However, I do know if the gears are different between front and rear, you aren't going anywhere in 4WD.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

Tiaan

Okay I'm not 100% on all things Jeep, but are you talking front axle? If so, that shouldn't effect the speedo. However, I do know if the gears are different between front and rear, you aren't going anywhere in 4WD.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

Sorry Kevin,

I should have made it clearer :D My front and rear gears are the same. My issue is that I am running 33s and my speedometer is off by 10 mph even with the 31 tooth speedo gear. The chart says if you run 33s on 3.73 gears you should need a 31 tooth speedo gear but it is not working.

kevinp

Hmmm. Well, I'll admit ignorance on this. I bought a ProCal to straighten mine out. :-\

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hmmm. Well, I'll admit ignorance on this. I bought a ProCal to straighten mine out. :-\

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

^^^ this. I had the same set up for a few months early on and all I did was use the procal to reset my speedometer.

Sent from my iPhone

Elusive

Sorry Kevin,

I should have made it clearer :D My front and rear gears are the same. My issue is that I am running 33s and my speedometer is off by 10 mph even with the 31 tooth speedo gear. The chart says if you run 33s on 3.73 gears you should need a 31 tooth speedo gear but it is not working.

Make sure the speedo is clocked correctly. It can go into the t-case 4 different ways but only 1 will make the speedo work. usually when you chagne the speedo gear the clocking of the gear has to cgange to allow for the larger/smaller gear.

you said you swapped the dana 30.. thats where the confusion is.. do you mean you swapped the dana 35 rear axle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What ^^^^ said. You need to make sure that the plug that the speedo gear is attached to is indexed properly. If you look carefully at it, you will see numbers on it that will give a range that your new 31 tooth gear will fall in. You will also see a dot on the t-case that it needs to be pointed to. Here's a pic from my old 4x4xplor.com website that will help you out:

speedo07.jpg

Top Bottom