The Uncharted build

IceKnight

I'm not 100% sure where to begin with my build. Seeing as how I build it once and now have completely torn it down and rebuilt it.

I guess I'll do a short sum up of my Jeeps life and detail the actual build over the past two years or so to get everyone up to speed.

My Jeep started life as a 98 Wrangler Sport with a no name 4 inch lift and 33'' Futura Dakota RVT

DSC00092-1.jpg

Over time I did the normal stuff we all do, front and rear bumpers, rocker guards, suspension, exhaust, tires etc... and it looked like this.

IMG_2630.JPG

It was around this time that my weekly routine was to get to work early to weld my control arms back on my frame or axle...which ever one decided to rip out that day, gotta love New England and our wonderful rust. After doing this a few to many times my awesome wife gave me the green light to, as she put it "do what you do", and so the work began.

My build so far is looking like this...

Frame
Completely stripped
Coated inside and out with Rust Bullet
New motor mounts
New front track bar mount
New steering linkage mount
Newly fabed rear control arm mounts
Reinforced rust prone areas of frame
New transfer case nutserts
New Classic Tube SS brake lines

Motor
4.6L I-6
4.2 Crank
Brown Dog MML
Icon IC944 .30 pistons
Comp Cams 68-232-4
Mopar performance valve springs / Retainers - 5249464 / 4452032
Mopar performance head gasket - 4529242
Arp head studs
Melling oil pump
62mm TB
Fuel Pump, lines, Ford 24lb Injectors
FAL Fan
Aluminum Radiator
Header
Banks Exhaust
Hi Flow cat
New Gaskets
New Bearings
Custom mounted Amsoil cone filter w/pre-filter

Transmission/Transfer Case
Advanced Adapters SYE
Advanced Adapters Braided Stainless Clutch Line
Novak Transfer Case Shifter
Tom Woods Rear Drive Shaft

Suspension
OME 2.5 HD springs
OME L series shocks
JKS Control arms upper and Lower
JKS Quicker Discos
TNT Front track bar (with replacement frame bracket)
Rokmen .5 body lift
Rokmen bump stops extensions
Rokmen rear spring relocator kit
New bumper jounces

Axles
Front

2000 HP Dana 30
Solid differential cover
Lube locker
New upper control arm bushings
Gusseted lower control arm mounts and upper control arm mount
New Rotors and Pads
SS Brake Lines
- locker, RCV's, sleeves, Artec truss (ordered), C Gussets (ordered), Currie steering, Vanco BBK

Rear
1999 Ford 8.8
Ford Racing LSD Clutch Packs
Solid differential cover
Lube locker
New Rotors and Pads
Currie 8.8 brake line kit
Artec Truss
Yukon 8.8 Axles
- Locker

Armor
Rokmen HiLine Tube Fender
Rokmen Stryker Steel Corners
Rokmen Transfer Case Skid
Rokmen Gas Tank Skid
Rokmen Rocker Guards
Rokmen Power Steering Skid
Poison Spyder BFH II Rear Bumper
Mopar Front Rock Bumper

Recovery
Warn M8000-s
Front & Rear Shackles
Misc straps and pulleys

Lighting
GE Nighthawk LED (re-branded Trucklights)
30" LED Light Bar
2" LED Spot Lights

Rims and Tires
Black Rock 15x8
Goodyear MT/R Kevlar 35x12.50R15
Dyna beads

IMG_8358.JPG

First%2520Day%2520Outside%25201.JPG

Now, let me rewind a bit and start things off from the begin...again...for the second time. :confused:

Last edited:

Armydog

Awesome rig! Love it. Subscribed. Have you run the dynabeads?? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

IceKnight

So starting with the most important part...my new to me frame.

I picked this beauty with matching tub up for cheap coin. Just south of Boston.

IMG_3101.JPG

and like anything you get for cheap, it surly had its problems. Like for instance, the front track bar mount had been sort of cut off, so I finished what someone else started and replaced it with a new mount. Along with replacing the missing motor mounts.

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

Next was to bolster the rear part of the frame where TJ's are known to rust...oh and the rear control arms where cut off, I made new upper and lower mounts for those as well.

IMG_3105.JPG

I made up a few 3/16 plates to fill in those wonderful holes
IMG_3123.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

I figured while I had the frame upside down and easy to work with I would do the nutserts for the transfer case as well.
This whole process was made vastly easier with the help of an air chisel. I tossed together a nutsert "tool" and went to work.
IMG_3157-1.jpg

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3179-1.jpg

Next was frame prep for paint got everything cleaned and sanded down and laid 3 coats of Rust Bullet.

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

After that I laid another 2 coats of Rust Bullet Black Shell

IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4238.JPG

So that is basically the frame for now. I've have since done more, but we'll get there, its a bit of a ways off.

IceKnight

Awesome rig! Love it. Subscribed. Have you run the dynabeads?? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app.......

Thanks

And yes I have been running dynabeads for quite awhile now and swear by them, with my old MTR's it was the only thing that would balance them. A little time consuming to install through the valve stem if you don't have a shop break the beads on your tires and just dump them in but it was worth the time.

IceKnight

During the time working on my frame I had done quite a few other things.

I picked up a HP Dana 30 and a Ford 8.8 for my axles. I got the front and rear axles for $200 at a local parts yard, and picked up some used gears from a local Jeeper for $100 that he was planning on tossing because he moved up to 4.88's. Got them cleaned up and set up both with 4:11's, welded on the brackets for the 8.8 and got all the bearings and races installed. I also got the bump stop extensions mounted and new bushing installed along with a few random peaces of steal to bolster up the lower control arms and the upper control arm mount. Don't really have a whole lots of pics on this.

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

Because I was doing all this set up myself it called for a fair amount of tools to be purchased. I subscribe at home to the right tool for the job mentality.

IMG_0678.JPG

This whole thing has been one great learning experience, I have managed to do 99% of all the work on my own.

Also during this time I tore my motor down, painted most of my armor

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

This was one thing I had not given much thought, I tossed the fenders and rear guards to see how they would fit up, and things seemed to fit up just nicely.

IMG_0549.JPG

Until of course I added my ARB rockers to the tub...

IMG_0547.JPG

I wasn't really thinking about having to buy rockers until I got a good look at that. lol

Last edited:

IceKnight

I finished setting up my front and rear axles or so I thought and got them under my frame.
Oh I forgot to mention, all of the factory shims for my carriers and pinions front and rear got thrown away, so setting up included starting from scratch with setting the ring and pinion depth. I did learn a-lot.

So axles, at first I used brackets from Iron Rock Off Road for my 8.8 rear axle. It's hard to see in this picture but if you look at the lower bumpstop extensions you can see they have a bit of a rake to them. (This turns out to mean that when I welded them on (over 9 months before hand) I set the pinion angle for a stock drive line setup, not for running an SYE)
IMG_0727.JPG

You can see it a little more in this picture. As well as how far away my bumpstops and pads are from each other, they are not even close to the correct lengths in the back. Not to mention the track bar mount is angled way to much.
IMG_0735.JPG

The front lined up much better. The control arms are just tossed in at this point at whatever length they where set at.
IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0733-1.jpg

IMG_0737.JPG

Now to most people I'm sure this doesn't seem like a big deal. But finally having my frame up and rolling was a huge boost for me. I, at this point had been working on my Jeep for about a year. But it was a little here and little there kind of thing. At the same time I was rebuilding a YJ (carb to fuel injected engine swap) for my boss at work and it was sucking all of my Jeepness out of me, so every night I got home, the last thing I wanted to do was work on my own Jeep.

Last edited:

IceKnight

Next was the installation of an SYE to an NP231. Things where quite a bit easier with the whole assembly out of the Jeep and standing on end.

Make sure you have everything needed for the job.
IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

Drain the ATF
IMG_0745.JPG

Remove the speedo gear
IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Next was the shift linkage (after engaging the transfer case into 4wd)
IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

The front yoke was removed next with a 1 1/8 socket a ratchet and yoke holding tool and it came right off.
IMG_0754.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

Then onto the tail shaft and the removal of the output shaft boot.
IMG_0756.JPG

IMG_0757.JPG

Next the stop ring and snap ring come off
IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

The rear seal is next to be removed
IMG_0762.JPG

The two rear bearing retaining snap rings came next
IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

The tail shaft housing was after that with a little motivation from a dead blow hammer around the edges, a little prying and it came right off
IMG_0766.JPG

Oil Pump came next inline to come out
IMG_0767.JPG

After the case was split, we removed the front and rear output shaft.
IMG_0768.JPG

Then the top snap ring was taken off and the mode hub and drive sprocket got removed from the shaft. Remember the orientation of these two.
IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

Quick shot of the half empty case.
IMG_0772.JPG

New shaft covered in AMSOIL Assembly Lube, replaced the mode hub and drive sprocket and placed the new snap ring on the shaft.
IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

Next was back to the case to install the front and rear shafts along with the chain. (Side note, when we first installed it in the case the chain was slightly binding, this is normal, after you install the yoke is pulls everything into proper position.) Notice the cleaned edges of the mating surface of the case. Next came The Right Stuff for making the gasket and sealing the cover back on to the housing along with the installation of the oil pump. A lower retaining ring was placed on the speed-o-drive gear and another retaining ring to top it all off. I place another bead of The Right Stuff on the rear housing and bolted it in place.
IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

Re-installed the speedo gear
IMG_0785.JPG

And last but not least we installed the new seal washers both front and rear along with both the yokes.
IMG_0784.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG

Top everything off with new fluid and it's good to go.

IceKnight

Next came the engine.
Here is what it looked like when it came out of my Jeep.
IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

I tore it down and sent it out for machine work.
I took .30 off the cylinder walls, rotating assembly balanced, had the head decked and the valve seats done.
Motor details are on page 1

I got the head back a week earlier than the block so I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports gasket matching them.
Before
IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

After
IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

As with any build lay everything out check for missing components
IMG_0166.JPG

First things first, laid in the bearings and checked the mains and rods for proper gap with Plastigauge. It spec'd out perfectly right between .002 and .0015.
IMG_0174-001.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

I covered all the bearings and cylinder walls with Amsoil Assembly Lube and torqued everything to spec.
IMG_0190-001.JPG

IMG_0191-001.JPG

I next got the oil pump and pickup installed and torqued the cap brace down.
IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Laid on the head gasket.
IMG_0197-001.JPG

Factory 4.0L valve spring vs. Mopar dual
IMG_0144.JPG

Got everything all lined up for valve and spring install and went to town.
IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147-1.jpg

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Checking clearances and dialing everything in.
IMG_0199-001.JPG

Got the motor and trans mated up and placed it into its new home after painting it.
IMG_0201-001.JPG

Got the majority of the accessories bolted up
IMG_0206-001.JPG

IMG_0207-001.JPG

Now that the motor was between the rails it was time to work on the tub.

IceKnight

The day I went to work on cleaning up and painting the underside of the tub was beautiful. Everything was ready, had POR15 in hand, flipped the tub over and found this
IMG_0241.JPG

Having dealt with this in the past on my old tub and others I knew there was only one fix, surgery was needed to fix the problem, so I put the tub in my truck and off to work I went (we have metal fab tools there, which is the major thing I'm lacking in my garage)
IMG_0219.JPG

So the garage it went and let the games begin
IMG_0242.JPG

With the first few cuts made, the classic sign of living life in New England reared its head... I was glad I followed my nose
IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

All cleaned up and ready for new mounts to be build.
IMG_0247.JPG

Process was the same for the other three
IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249-1.jpg

Knowing I was going to be running a 1/2 Rokmen body lift for skid clearance I worked that into the new mounts so I didn't have to fuss with the 1/2 pucks for these four mounting locations. I cut up some cardboard templates and broke out the plasma and started cutting and welding.
IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0262-1.jpg

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

End result, painted inside the rails as well to seal out water.
IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

pvanweelden

Awesome work! great details in your pics, writing! I could have used your pics awhile back when putting in the SYE in my TJ :thumb:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I don't know how I missed this build thread. Wow, you are really turning this thing around and looks like you are doing it some justice. Thanks for sharing. :yup: :thumb:

IceKnight

Next was installing a new fuel pump before attaching my gas tank skid to the Jeep.

So here we go, installing a new fuel pump in a TJ.

Remove as much fuel from the tank as you can before starting.

Remove bezel. (Sorry no pic of this, I didn't have one at the time) Drop tank enough to remove the fuel pressure line, vapor line and electrical connector. The pressure line is the one that will most likely put up a fight. You need to depress the two tabs on the blue clip and pull at the same time. Then remove the vapor lines, a pair of pliers will help break the seal the vapor line with a little twisting motion. I choose to replace everything seeing as how I already had everything apart.
IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

Remove tank skid and gas tank. If your tank straps are in good shape leave them be, if not again this is the time to replace them.
You need to remove the metal retaining clip that goes across the top. Flat head screw driver will help with this.
IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0319.JPG

Keep that flat head in your hand, you can use it and a small hammer to slowly loosen the retaining ring that hold the fuel pump in the tank.
IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

And out comes the fuel pump.
IMG_0322.JPG

I found my filter element just kinda floating around in my tank
IMG_0323.JPG

Not really sure this is the recommended way to filter fuel
IMG_0324.JPG

Then pull the seal off the hole, if it didn't come off already. Your new pump should come with a new one.
IMG_0326.JPG

I completely cleaned out the tank, I siphoned the last 3/4 of a gallon of gas out and wiped the inside clean with a few lint free pieces cloth.
Now reverse order. Install gasket, Install pump, making sure the arrows are facing the proper direction. (should be toward the front of the Jeep)
IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

Replace your blue retaining clip and vapor lines
IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

Lift tank into position and reconnect fuel pressure and vapor lines and plug in the electrical line.
Re-install bezel.

IceKnight

So by all accounts I was making good progress and shooting to drive my Jeep by Sept. It was currently June (2013)...then work happened. I managed to try and stand up under a truck frame, that I though I had cleared, smashing my head and being the recipient of 7 shiny staples...
Head%2520meet%2520truck-1.jpg

I didn't get much done for a week or so, then I was able to get the tub mounted
IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0357.JPG

And got the brake lines installed
IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0363-11.jpg

As well as getting the holes cut for my taillights
IMG_0385-1.jpg

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0390-1.jpg

Top Bottom