Heim joints for steering

TJ KID

Anyone running joints for there steering on a daily driver?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I run heims on my rig, I don't drive it every day, but I do drive it often, and I never trailer it to the trail.... I Always drive.

Older pic, but you get the idea
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394598985.801724.jpg

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

TJ KID

I run heims on my rig, I don't drive it every day, but I do drive it often, and I never trailer it to the trail.... I Always drive.

Older pic, but you get the idea
View attachment 73338

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Bad ass rig man. I just re did the steering on my TJ with heims. You still running a stabilizer? I have a crazy wobble now and thinking it's because of no stabilizer. The kit said that I did not need one

David1tontj

Bad ass rig man. I just re did the steering on my TJ with heims. You still running a stabilizer? I have a crazy wobble now and thinking it's because of no stabilizer. The kit said that I did not need one

I run 39.5 iroks and don't have a stabilizer. If you have your alignment in spec and your tires balanced properly, then you shouldn't need one.

TJ KID

I run 39.5 iroks and don't have a stabilizer. If you have your alignment in spec and your tires balanced properly, then you shouldn't need one.

That's what I thought but still get a pretty good wobble.

David1tontj

That's what I thought but still get a pretty good wobble.

I've heard of some shops taking several try's to get a tire balanced right. My money would be on the balancing.

TJ KID

I've heard of some shops taking several try's to get a tire balanced right. My money would be on the balancing.

I noticed on you setup you have your drag link one side above and the other below the knuckle.. here is a picture of mine with the trackbar

Attachments

• 1394672433964.jpg
    1394672433964.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 1394672457898.jpg
    1394672457898.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 1394672479969.jpg
    1394672479969.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 69

David1tontj

I noticed on you setup you have your drag link one side above and the other below the knuckle.. here is a picture of mine with the trackbar

Some people disagree with my reasoning, but it doesn't seem to affect anything and it got me an extra couple inches of clearance on that side.

dahreno

Banned
Just make sure if using Heims in steering that if the ball separates from the race that they don't come apart.Use safety washers or double she er.

dahreno

Banned
If you are not using double sheer,there are companies that make safety washers that are designed to not allow the race to fall off the vehicle if separated from the ball and stay on the tie rod or drag link.This allows you to still steer instead of the tie rod or drag link to fall to the ground. It's like a big heavy duty washer that goes in between the Heim and bolt. Barnes has these, part # B4W750SW.

Top Bottom