Co2 vs air for refilling tires...newb here

In5ane1

Can someone explain what pro and cons are to using co2 vs air to refill tires on the trail? Any issues with running co2 in tires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Serg5000

The issue I ran into when I used co2 was having to refill the bottle. Other then that, no issue. It's super fast. It's good for air tools also. On board air eliminated the need to refill. I prefer OBA.

David1tontj

I have and do use both.

Pros for co2- it's SUPER fast, can air up several tires without "overheating", can easily run air tools without waiting for a compressor, can seat a bead without any problems.

Cons and reasons I never use my co2 tank- I usually have to wait for others to air up anyway, so I don't mind using my slower on board air viair system.

It takes too much valuable space in my small Tj

It runs out after a while

Some cheaper valves/regulators can freeze up after a couple tires.

Costs 13.00 to get filled. Not too bad I guess

You never know when you will need it, and Might not always have it in the rig, but my onboard air is just a flipped switch away

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

suicideking

Prefer onboard air because once it's installed, you're done paying for it. The tanks are nice, but you have to keep paying to fill them, have to go get them filled.

noroad

so i went on a club run the other day and a guy had Co2 in his tank so i asked to use it, to try, so far i have got a whole 2 miles better in MPG (this could also be the little bit warmer weather) but i also heard its harder for Co2 to get out throw the sides of the rim (again only heard will see what people say).

David1tontj

so i went on a club run the other day and a guy had Co2 in his tank so i asked to use it, to try, so far i have got a whole 2 miles better in MPG (this could also be the little bit warmer weather) but i also heard its harder for Co2 to get out throw the sides of the rim (again only heard will see what people say).

I have heard that claim for nitrogen, and it is because the nitrogen molecules are bigger, but not for straight co2. Co2 and nitrogen alike both exhibit better characteristics than air when it comes to the tire pressures going up when they are hot. Because co2 and nitrogen are so dry, they don't expand like regular air when temps are increased.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Tcdawg

One benefit not mentioned with a CO2 set up is the ability to reseat a popped bead, or to break down a tire and fix a valve stem and then reseat the bead. Some OBA set ups have this ability but most of them don't.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
One benefit not mentioned with a CO2 set up is the ability to reseat a popped bead, or to break down a tire and fix a valve stem and then reseat the bead. Some OBA set ups have this ability but most of them don't.

That was mentioned in post number 3.

pvanweelden

Since the quickness of C02 was brought up- i averaged about a minute with my 36" tires and a regular chuck from 8psi to 32psi.

I figured I would post some numbers from a test between several compressors for comparison purposes- From parksoffroad.com- granted it is from 2005, so before the arb dual was out.

Time to Fill (1) 33” tire from 10-35 psi
Viair 3:17
Oasis w/regular chuck 0:51
Powertank (C02) w/reg chuck 1:21
Oasis with Monster Valve 0:41
Powertank with Monster Valve 0:25

CFM ratings- obtained from manufacturers websites:
ARB Dual- 3.0 CFM
Most single electric compressors- 1.0 to 1.5 CFM
Oasis is 15 CFM @0 psi, 8 CFM @100 psi
Warn Powerplant is 12 CFM @0 psi, 5 CFM @90 psi
I have not found any actual ratings for C02 CFM, but my guess is around 10CFM with reg chuck, 20 CFM with Monster Valve chuck.

For those who don’t know- the Oasis uses a York compressor :thumb:

In5ane1

Thanks for the input guys. It's nice to hear firsthand from people using certain thing than just opinions. I'm small time, wheeling maybe 1 or 2 times a month. I was trying to figure out cost effectiveness vs. quickly filling up a set of tires. Looking at some of the prices for Co2 tanks, it seems like they aren't much cheaper than some of the compressors out there, although quicker! The setup I was researching was the Viair ADA system for 2012 JK's. It's about $375, but it seems to have everything. But I am surprised that being plug and play they don't include a relay harnes, but rather just an in line fues on the battery. Co2 would be simple and easy...but would add up after a while. Decisions...decisions... :eek:

witchdoctor

I have heard that claim for nitrogen, and it is because the nitrogen molecules are bigger, but not for straight co2. Co2 and nitrogen alike both exhibit better characteristics than air when it comes to the tire pressures going up when they are hot. Because co2 and nitrogen are so dry, they don't expand like regular air when temps are increased.

has nothing to do with being co2 or nitrogen. has to do with moisture content. both are dry. the same thing can be accomplished with air if it is dried out enough.

tapcola

I do AC work and have a regular supply of nitrogen, yes the tank takes up a little room but when its FREE it is hard to pay for OBA system . I will probably get one sooner or later to save some space . But it is nice

Can someone explain what pro and cons are to using co2 vs air to refill tires on the trail? Any issues with running co2 in tires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had a powertank and I really liked it until it ran out. I dont have anywhere close to me to fill it either. Thats why I went with a arb twin compressor and it solved all my problems. That what I eould recommend

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

has nothing to do with being co2 or nitrogen. has to do with moisture content. both are dry. the same thing can be accomplished with air if it is dried out enough.

Did you even read my entire post before quoting it?

This is what I said BTW

I have heard that claim for nitrogen, and it is because the nitrogen molecules are bigger, but not for straight co2. Co2 and nitrogen alike both exhibit better characteristics than air when it comes to the tire pressures going up when they are hot. Because co2 and nitrogen ARE SO DRY, they don't expand like REGULAR air when temps are increased.

Also- I have tried running air filters in my onboard air system, but they were continually the source of leaks and they kept on melting under extreme circumstances. At $40 each I got sick of having them be my problem so I removed them from my system.

Top Bottom