Help Me With My Decisions!

tonytony9

Dear Forums,

There are a few things I really would love to get for my 08 wrangler unlimited before the Summer arrives; actually, the spring! Of course many of these answers I could get from "reviews", however, most are very unreliable; plus you guys give the best advice anyways! I am looking for where to buy these items, who makes the best, and pointers.

*Please keep in mind I am new to the Jeep world!
*Text in Red represents an update from original post.

1) I need a Soft Top!
-My 08 only came with a hardtop which is great. However, the summer is no fun with the roof on! So, I am going to need the entire roof, I am guessing this also would include the hardware? I am willing to purchase USED :brows: ! What are some decent brands/websites which are not going to kill me on the price. I would love to spend well under $1,000 (need money for the goodies listed below).
-Looking for the OEM style Box shape - Just not into Trektops thank you for the input though!

2) I Want a Lift!
-I am currently running 17inch stocks rims. The tires seem decently large (for a stock jeep). I believe this may be the oversized tire package? Don't know the exact sizing off the top of my head but I believe they are 265's. The jeep came with them in perfect condition - so it probably does not make economic sense to buy new ones for a while. What do you guys recommend lift wise?

3) Tire Spacers!
-I am would love to space my tires out a little with the lift. Would probably look great. However, I do not want to risk safety of the car so they would have to extend the lugs. Are wheel spacers bad for the car in anyway? Do they increase wear? Give me some details! Also let me know of you favorite brands as well.

4) Fenders
Anyone have any input on Smittybilt XRC Flat Fenders? Seem cheap and would love to pick up a pair! Do they allow you to keep the factory blinker though?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

JK's JK

Banned
Dear Forums,

There are a few things I really would love to get for my JKU before the Summer arrives; actually, the spring! Of course many of these answers I could get from "reviews", however, most are very unreliable; plus you guys give the best advice anyways! I am looking for where to buy these items, who makes the best, and pointers.

1) I need a Soft Top!
-My 08 only came with a hardtop which is great. However, the summer is no fun with the roof on! So, I am going to need the entire roof, I am guessing this also would include the hardware? I am willing to purchase USED :brows: ! What are some decent brands/websites which are not going to kill me on the price. I would love to spend well under $1,000 (need money for the goodies listed below).

2) I Want a Lift!
-Would love to get at least a 2inch lift on my jeep. I don't have the budget to do a full suspension. So this leaves me with body lift? The higher the lift the better! So if you could give me some options of good brands that would be great! Also, does a body lift make the ride/highway driving worse or no?

3) Tire Spacers!
-I am would love to space my tires out a little with the lift. Would probably look great. However, I do not want to risk safety of the car so they would have to extend the lugs. Are wheel spacers bad for the car in anyway? Do they increase wear? Give me some details! Also let me know of you favorite brands as well.

Thanks for the help!

1 - I've seen soft tops sell on Craigslist for 300 - 800 used. I'd personally take the time and research that option.

2 - Northridge4x4 offers a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost. I've seen other jeepers use this lift. It's cheap and will raise your ride height and get some 35's??

3 - Spidertrax sells 1.5" spacers which are the best. I personally have them on my rig and there great. Spreading out your wheels away from your vehicle over time will wear parts but once you get 12.5 or even 13.5 width tire's, you'll need back spacing.

I'd personally take some time and read this over.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2180-JK-FAQ-Answers-to-the-Questions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-JK-Wrangler

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Dear Forums,

There are a few things I really would love to get for my JKU before the Summer arrives; actually, the spring! Of course many of these answers I could get from "reviews", however, most are very unreliable; plus you guys give the best advice anyways! I am looking for where to buy these items, who makes the best, and pointers.

1) I need a Soft Top!

2) I Want a Lift!
-Would love to get at least a 2inch lift on my jeep. I don't have the budget to do a full suspension. So this leaves me with body lift? The higher the lift the better! So if you could give me some options of good brands that would be great! Also, does a body lift make the ride/highway driving worse or no?

3) Tire Spacers!

Thanks for the help!

1) I got my Bestop Trektop for just over $500 with free shipping and no tax in CA using Google Shopping and Quadratec. I sold my hard top for triple that...
2) What size tires are you wanting to run? I'll be getting 35's soon with my EVO Leveling kit...$256 for front springs and rear spacers and rides better then stock. Save up for used Rubicon shocks if you don't have a Rubicon, for sale on here all the time. The stock black shocks are junk in my opinion. If you want some really good travel/flex get slightly longer shocks with the EVO kit if you go with that one. I went 3" longer shocks in front and that gave me so much travel I need a new drive shaft..Check out my build thread that needs updating. Body lifts are terrible in my opinion and ruin the handling of a vehicle. I steer very clear from them.
3) 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers look great and I swear my JK drives better with them installed. I recently removed them for warranty and reinstalled...I wasn't drunk so I think they improve the handling haha...plus they look great! Also pictures before and after in my build thread. Link in signature...I sometimes wonder if I should have went 1.75" with the Rubicon mud terrains...but the 1.5" are very popular and haven't read one bad thing about them. I also have no complaints with them. I got them used for a decent deal off the for sale section here. These are safe by the way, hub centric and theres new lugs pressed in to them, you bolt them on and then bolt your wheels to these.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

1 - I've seen soft tops sell on Craigslist for 300 - 800 used. I'd personally take the time and research that option.

2 - Northridge4x4 offers a 2.5" Teraflex budget boost. I've seen other jeepers use this lift. It's cheap and will raise your ride height and get some 35's??

3 - Spidertrax sells 1.5" spacers which are the best. I personally have them on my rig and there great. Spreading out your wheels away from your vehicle over time will wear parts but once you get 12.5 or even 13.5 width tire's, you'll need back spacing.

You run the spidertrax with your shiny wheels? What backspacing do those have?

JK's JK

Banned
You run the spidertrax with your shiny wheels? What backspacing do those have?

When I bought my Jeep used, the previous owner had Toyo 35" tires and those shinny wheels with 4.5" back spacing. So when I went to 37" Nitto, my back spacing had to go out with Spidertrax 1.5". So I have 3" back spacing to miss the rear control arm on my lift. Yes the back spacing is a lot but I wasnt willing to buy new tires. Saving my money for some slabs :rock: I've actually wanted to double check those measurement recently.....Thank you for reminding me.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

When I bought my Jeep used, the previous owner had Toyo 35" tires and those shinny wheels with 4.5" back spacing. So when I went to 37" Nitto, my back spacing had to go out with Spidertrax 1.5". So I have 3" back spacing to miss the rear control arm on my lift. Yes the back spacing is a lot but I wasnt willing to buy new tires. Saving my money for some slabs :rock: I've actually wanted to double check those measurement recently.....Thank you for reminding me.

Well your rig looks good so far...a lot of us are saving for Slabs although those new Pro Chamber II's are pretty sweet too... :rock: Oh you're welcome! hah

JK's JK

Banned
Well your rig looks good so far...a lot of us are saving for Slabs although those new Pro Chamber II's are pretty sweet too... :rock: Oh you're welcome! hah

The other week I received an email from Northridge about 5 slabs for 1750......I was thinking about it :naw: But I have to say on track with my rear CO's and then my High clearance lift installation.

Thank you for the compliment :drinks:

tonytony9

I'd personally take some time and read this over.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2180-JK-FAQ-Answers-to-the-Questions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-JK-Wrangler

For the soft top all I will need to look for is one which is selling the top and the hardware correct?

Yeah I feel like a lift and spacing will look great. Thanks for the link.

tonytony9

1) I got my Bestop Trektop for just over $500 with free shipping and no tax in CA using Google Shopping and Quadratec. I sold my hard top for triple that...
2) What size tires are you wanting to run? I'll be getting 35's soon with my EVO Leveling kit...$256 for front springs and rear spacers and rides better then stock. Save up for used Rubicon shocks if you don't have a Rubicon, for sale on here all the time. The stock black shocks are junk in my opinion. If you want some really good travel/flex get slightly longer shocks with the EVO kit if you go with that one. I went 3" longer shocks in front and that gave me so much travel I need a new drive shaft..Check out my build thread that needs updating. Body lifts are terrible in my opinion and ruin the handling of a vehicle. I steer very clear from them.
3) 1.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers look great and I swear my JK drives better with them installed. I recently removed them for warranty and reinstalled...I wasn't drunk so I think they improve the handling haha...plus they look great! Also pictures before and after in my build thread. Link in signature...I sometimes wonder if I should have went 1.75" with the Rubicon mud terrains...but the 1.5" are very popular and haven't read one bad thing about them. I also have no complaints with them. I got them used for a decent deal off the for sale section here. These are safe by the way, hub centric and theres new lugs pressed in to them, you bolt them on and then bolt your wheels to these.

I will have to look up that top. I am willing to spend that amount for sure. I will check out Evo leveling kit, don't want to spend too much though. A body lift is pretty cheap, however, does it really ruin the ride that much?

I am running a decently large tire - I think it is like a 265 or something? It is not measured in a truck size yet - still mm I believe. How do you think something like that would look with a 2.5 inch lift? Too small? Because I do not have the money for 35s rn. My tires are basically brand new though! Maybe I could sell them quick and get the money back for 35's?

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
For the top, bestop trek top nx for under$600 band new. For a 2 inch lift, I'd get the Rancho 2" sport. On Amazon I saw them for $380 bucks, and right now Rancho has a 50 dollar rebate with that kit. The one with the 9000 shocks. So you get it for 330 bucks. Not bad for that right now. And I have poison spider wheel spacers. No problems yet.

stweasel

I will have to look up that top. I am willing to spend that amount for sure. I will check out Evo leveling kit, don't want to spend too much though. A body lift is pretty cheap, however, does it really ruin the ride that much?

I am running a decently large tire - I think it is like a 265 or something? It is not measured in a truck size yet - still mm I believe. How do you think something like that would look with a 2.5 inch lift? Too small? Because I do not have the money for 35s rn. My tires are basically brand new though! Maybe I could sell them quick and get the money back for 35's?

If your not changing the tires and your current tires are not rubbing, not sure how much you will appreciate the lift. I really doubt your ride quality will change much as you still will have the same suspension underneath however you may feel top heavy especially with smaller rubber underneath. As with any lift you might have brake line issues. You probably will need to extend your fuel filler tube. and the bodylift will leave a gap between your frame and body. I would probably recommend a spacer lift or a budget spring lift as a better investment.

radleyhardy

Dear Forums,

1) I need a Soft Top!

2) I Want a Lift!

Hope I am using the right terminology here! I believe it is also called a budget boost?

3) Tire Spacers!

Thanks for the help!

1) Trektop NX

2) EvoMFG HD Level Kit

3) Spidertraxx 1.5" Spacers

Those three options should add up to approximately $1300.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
1) I need a Soft Top!

for a soft top i would look at either the trek top NX as others have mentioned, a used soft top from someone on here getting a trek top, or a new factory soft top from quadratec.

2) I Want a Lift!

Hope I am using the right terminology here! I believe it is also called a budget boost?

a budget boost and a body lift are two different thing. the latter of the two you dont want. a budget boost can cost you anywhere from $100 to $400 and is a good starting point. also as mentioned off road evo has a leveling kit which is cheap and offers some good results and feedback on quality.

3) Tire Spacers!

Thanks for the help!

there are two ways to go with this. you can get an aftermarket wheel that has enough backspacing to clear your tires if you get bigger ones or if you want to run the facotry wheels (like many do on here) you can get wheel spacers. if you get wheel spacers i would get 1.5" spidertrax spacers.

tonytony9

For the top, bestop trek top nx for under$600 band new. For a 2 inch lift, I'd get the Rancho 2" sport. On Amazon I saw them for $380 bucks, and right now Rancho has a 50 dollar rebate with that kit. The one with the 9000 shocks. So you get it for 330 bucks. Not bad for that right now. And I have poison spider wheel spacers. No problems yet.

I'm really not looking for one of those types of soft tops. Trying to stay with that square oem style roof. How is the ride on that lift? And its only a 2inch lift? Most spacers are 2.5 and cheaper right?

tonytony9

If your not changing the tires and your current tires are not rubbing, not sure how much you will appreciate the lift. I really doubt your ride quality will change much as you still will have the same suspension underneath however you may feel top heavy especially with smaller rubber underneath. As with any lift you might have brake line issues. You probably will need to extend your fuel filler tube. and the bodylift will leave a gap between your frame and body. I would probably recommend a spacer lift or a budget spring lift as a better investment.

I am not so much doing it for the ride quality; more towards the looks. Well, what is the definition of body lift? Most of the ones I were looking at were these little black block looking things.

radleyhardy

Here is a JKU with Trektop NX and EvoMFG Level kit - owner is IBeHeWhoIsJoshua :rock::rock:

(note - just saw you wanted stock looking soft top)

IMG_5502.jpg

stweasel

I am not so much doing it for the ride quality; more towards the looks. Well, what is the definition of body lift? Most of the ones I were looking at were these little black block looking things.

A suspension lift adds clearance by setting the axles further away from the frame. This gives you more space for larger tires but also for the axles to articulate so it improves offroad handling

A body lift just moves the body away from the frame using spacers allowing to put larger tires on, it doesn't help the off-road performance of the suspension. So its great for show.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

A body lift just moves the body away from the frame using spacers allowing to put larger tires on, it doesn't help the off-road performance of the suspension. So its great for show.

To be fair, yes a body lift won't improve the mechanisms or cycling of your suspension its self like a coil and appropriate length shock will offer. BUT a mild body lift, say 1", combined with a 2" budget boost lift and at that point you can clear 35's without trimming fenders and up to 37's with some generous trimming! At that point you won't have to address your drive shaft and will put you into larger tires which give you the most important clearance of all...your axle tubes and differential!

That being said, I've done a body lift and will never do it again in a JK :D

StrizzyChris

Well, what is the definition of body lift? Most of the ones I were looking at were these little black block looking things.

The JK tub(body) mounts to the frame at 12 spots (6 per side) and only takes those chunks of steel to create a little more clearance for slightly larger tires. Just be aware that this lift will create a gap between your body and fenders from the bumpers. The higher the body lift, the more obvious (and uglier in my opinion) the gap becomes.

Edit: If your firm on doing a body lift rather than a coil lift, I used Daystar in the past and they make good components. They claim that their compound helps eliminate road noise compared to just steel body lifts. Don't know how true that is.

Last edited:

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

The handling of the vehicle is hard to explain. I don't know anyone who recommends one more than one inch in conjunction with suspension. I removed a 3" off my Ram I had and my moms YJ. Never again will I own a vehicle with a body lift. Bestop also has the regular factory style soft top and not the fastback like a lot of us have. I like to fill the wheel well as much as I can and as clearance will allow. I really wheel as much as I can also and trimming the fenders may or may not be a requirement when I go 35's. Here's a user (sorry I don't have your handle handy) with the Evo leveling kit, 35's, and trimmed stock fenders.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394738373.558984.jpg

Where are you located? You could ride in mine and see how you like the ride if you're close enough.

Top Bottom