3" or 4" Evo Plush Ride Coils

Yeahright

Can anyone please tell me if the 3" or 4" Evo Plush Ride Coils will stay seated at full flex with Fox Remote Resi 28.3" long shocks, (28.3" open) I would prefer to have 3" but will go with 4" if needed.
At the moment I have 3.5" AEV Coils and they are too short at full flex.
Any help would be appreciated.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your 3.5" coils are too short at full flex I would go with the 4" coils. If you would like I stay shorter than the 3.5 your currently at I would get the 3" coils and get new shocks as well so you don't unseat your coils

Sent from my iPhone

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I feel like if you could measure the springs against eachother, it would be the easiest cuz not all springs are made the same. The 4" could be as long as your 3.5" or even the 3" as long. Going to be hard to find someone running the eact same shocks and lift.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can anyone please tell me if the 3" or 4" Evo Plush Ride Coils will stay seated at full flex with Fox Remote Resi 28.3" long shocks, (28.3" open) I would prefer to have 3" but will go with 4" if needed.

Are you saying that your coils unseat at a full flex? If so, your shocks are too long. It'd be hard to say which coil you really need being that I'm not sure what the uncompressed length of either plush ride coil is and, being that they are so soft, both may very well be tall enough. I might contact EVO to see what they say.

ChaosNein

FOX makes a 1.5"-3.5" lift shock and a 4"-6" lift shock. I am going to assume that you have the longer shock, as with the shorter one, I dont think that you would see any noticeable unseating no matter what coil you have. Now having said that, with the 4"-6" shock, you are going to be hard pressed to find a coil that will not unseat a little bit. I would go with a 4" coil and invest in some spring retainers to ensure that even if you do unseat, your coil will at least stay where it needs to stay.

rdreng

Yeahright,

I currently have my 2013 JKUR up on jack stands and am installing a lift kit (no shocks or springs installed on front end but everything else is in place, so I can raise/lower the front axle as I want). To help you obtain a quantitative answer to your question above, I made a couple of measurements for you.

First, I fully raised the driver’s side of the front axle so that the 3 inch bump stop hit the metal bump stop post. Next, I lowered the passenger side of the front axle so that the distance from top of the inside of the shock tower to the center of the lower shock mount bolt hole was 28.25 inches. This is a worst case condition (there may be others). I then made the following measurements:

Distance from lower spring perch to rubber isolator within the upper spring mount = 20.5 inches

Free Length of EVO MFG 4 inch Enforcer Spring (which I have on hand) = 21.00 inches

I would say that under “a” worst case condition, the 4 inch EVO MFG coil will just work for your situation. You may want to take Drew’s advice above with the spring retainer brackets.

Speculation – I would venture a "guess" that the 3 inch EVO MFG coil will come unseated. You need to find the “free length” of that coil to determine for sure (using the measurements above).

Hope the above helps,
Alan

TheDuff

Wouldn't the rear be a larger concern than the front?

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rdreng

Wouldn't the rear be a larger concern than the front?

Could very well be the case! The OP did not post front or rear for the shock lengths or where he was having issues.

I will make some additional notes for Yeahright:

The King Shocks that EVO MFG supplied to me for the Enforcer kit have the following free extended lengths:

Front = 27.25 inches

Rear = 27.5 inches (including delta for upper mount)

The free length of the EVO MFG 4 inch lift Enforcer rear spring is 18 inches.

I'll be working on the rear suspension in a couple of weeks, as time permits.

TheDuff

Rdreng, thanks for taking those measurements, are you going to be using the evo rockstars aswell? I assume you are since you mentioned the enforcer, but figured I would double check to be sure.
This thread interests me since I want to buy plush rides and build a enforcer kit overtime since I can't fork over the cash all at once. Making sure my current shocks will work and not cause a unsafe condition is a big deal to me, so thanks again for taking your time and posting that info up, It's helping more than just the op:)

ChaosNein

The ROCK STAR Skids bring up an possible issue as it will INCREASE your DOWN travel by about 1.5", making the unseating issue worse.

and FYI, the ENFORCER does not include the ROCK STAR Skids. They are something that you can add, just not something supplied in the kit.

TheDuff

The ROCK STAR Skids bring up an possible issue as it will INCREASE your DOWN travel by about 1.5", making the unseating issue worse.

and FYI, the ENFORCER does not include the ROCK STAR Skids. They are something that you can add, just not something supplied in the kit.

So, if you add the skids, and opt for the king shocks, are they of different length? If so, what is the extended length of them?

2trackin

I have Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks

FOX985-24-015
FOX985-24-016
Which are the 24 odd something inch length model. I have 3" Evo Plush ride springs and do not unseat. However, at 28+" absolutely will with a 3" spring and I'd even bet with the 4" spring.
Personally I'd just go with a shorter shock and not worry about a spring falling out on you.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChaosNein

So, if you add the skids, and opt for the king shocks, are they of different length? If so, what is the extended length of them?

No, in fact, the KING 2.5s (3"5" lift) work PERFECT with ROCK STARs / 4" Plush Ride Coils / 37" tires and 4" Bump Stomp extensions. That set up will allow you get the FULL travel out of your shock!

jesse3638

Hooked
No, in fact, the KING 2.5s (3"5" lift) work PERFECT with ROCK STARs / 4" Plush Ride Coils / 37" tires and 4" Bump Stomp extensions. That set up will allow you get the FULL travel out of your shock!

Would you recommend the use of upper rear shock relocation brackets if using the rockstar skids? I know EVO mfg. does not currently make anything so I'm going to venture out on a limb and say they just recommend using shorter shocks, limiting straps, or coil retainers if unseating is a problem.

TheDuff

Thanks for the response Drew:)
I know I didn't state this previously, but I'm more interested in the 3" springs and bump stops or even having to use the 4" bump stops with 3" springs. Unless that changes everything and would result in less performance vs the 4" setup as a whole.

36Fan

If you run the 3" plush ride coils,37s and flat fenders,what King 2.5 is needed?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
If you run the 3" plush ride coils,37s and flat fenders,what King 2.5 is needed?

kings usually come in 0-2", 3-5" and 6+" options, some one posted earlier he got Front = 27.25 inches
Rear = 27.5 inches extended length shocks, so i'm guessing he got the 3-5" ones?

bilsteins come in Front-186872 -16.41" -27.56"
Rear 146715 -15.39"-26.38" or 186887 -16.96"-27.36"
here is an interesting photo of how beefy king shocks are compared to other shocks.
DSC09968 copy.jpg

36Fan

I wont run anything but Kings. They are easy to valve,maintain and repair. Worth the price imo.

Top Bottom