In need of tire and wheel help/advice

gonzo

Whats up, new guy here! :standing wave:

To start, i have a 08 X unlimited.
Now the question: (maybe 2 questions) 1. What is the biggest size tire i can put on the stock 17's without adding a lift (i CAN add wheel spacers if need be for a wider tired)

2. If i added a 2' or 2.5' lift, then what size tire?

I dont plan on getting new wheels, thought about it and thought against it. Stock wheels are nice enough, plus money is kind of limited.

Thanks goes out ahead of time for the answers.

Last edited:

JandSJK

Now the question: (maybe 2 questions) 1. What is the biggest size tire i can put on the stock 17's without adding a lift (i CAN add wheel spacers if need be for a wider tired)

I dont plan on getting new wheels, thought about it and thought against it. Stock wheels are nice enough, plus money is kind of limited.

well one of the guys i wheel with has a 2.5" lift the stock wheels and he is running 35's (315/70R17) he does run 1.5" wheel spacers. looks good functions well and kept cost down. Trimming down your stock fenders or getting flats helps alot as well

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I have 35s on a stock sport lift and rims with 1.5 inch wheel spacers and its fine although it does need a lift because while off roading it does rub. Im sure a 3 inch lift would prevent that though. :yup:

StrizzyChris

If you purchase a low priced lift (i.e. spacer or budget boost) be aware that many of them do not include bump extensions. You can run a 2.5 or 2.75 lift and 35's without trimming fenders, but more than likely will have rubbing issues at full stuff without these bump extensions. Since trimming is free, and looks cool, that is why most people trim their fenders, than purchasing extensions seperate.

Almost all of these tires will be significantly wider than stock and, when combined with the added height, will add to rubbing of control arms, sway bar links, and air dam(if your running your stock bumper). A wheel spacer, and possible dam trimming, will be required to run this width.

Last edited:

gonzo

I have 35s on a stock sport lift and rims with 1.5 inch wheel spacers and its fine although it does need a lift because while off roading it does rub. Im sure a 3 inch lift would prevent that though. :yup:

Hey Ray, you're ride is sweet!

Whats the specs on you're tires? And brand?

Im not really planning to do any off-roading anytime soon. I just want mine to look the way a jeep should, I've had her long enough and she needs a makeover!

gonzo

If you purchase a low priced lift (i.e. spacer or budget boost) be aware that many of them do not include bump extensions. You can run a 2.5 or 2.75 lift and 35's without trimming fenders, but more than likely will have rubbing issues at full stuff without these bump extensions. Since trimming is free, and looks cool, that is why most people trim their fenders, than purchasing extensions seperate.

Almost all of these tires will be significantly wider than stock and, when combined with the added height, will add to rubbing of control arms, sway bar links, and air dam(if your running your stock bumper). A wheel spacer, and possible dam trimming, will be required to run this width.

Hey Strizzy.

Im going to sound dumb right now, but, what the heck are "bump extensions"?

I am however planning on this, http://www.quadratec.com/products/12106_0004_07.htm
The VDP Stubby End Cap Kit.

Only other question i have is if there will be any tire rubbing on the rear bumper where it meets the flares?

As far as the lift goes, im not sure just yet.
Like i said, not gonna be off-road anytime soon, if at all. just want the look. If i do make if off road, i wont be going anywhere major that i'll need to worry about.

Thanks again guys!!!!!

the more help/answers the better!!!

Cheers!:beer:

Last edited:

ichthus

A bumpstop is essentially a pad of some sort that prevents your axle, and by extension, your tires from stuffing too far into your fender. If you lift the Jeep and add bigger tires then you need longer bump stops to keep from rubbing the tires ...particularly when offroad, but perhaps when jumping curbs or what not

ichthus

Also, as far as lift options go, JKS is offering a new 2 1/2" that caught my eye. American made, and pretty solid products.

StrizzyChris

Sorry, I have been in the hills camping so no internet or phone service. Your jeep comes with a standard height bump stop that creates a cusioned gap between the frame and the axle. They come in contact with eachother to prevent your tire from making contact with your inner fender. The corrected extension height will need to be determined by your lift height and tire size.

bump_stop_jeep_wrangler_coil_suspension_lift.JPG

In this picture, the yellow plug is what your bump stop will look like. (with channel locks on it)

gonzo

Sorry, I have been in the hills camping so no internet or phone service. Your jeep comes with a standard height bump stop that creates a cusioned gap between the frame and the axle. They come in contact with eachother to prevent your tire from making contact with your inner fender. The corrected extension height will need to be determined by your lift height and tire size.

View attachment 3912

In this picture, the yellow plug is what your bump stop will look like. (with channel locks on it)

Hey Strizzy, Thank for the info and i hope you're camping trip was fun!

I'd still like info on the picture of the Jeep i posted up on page 1. mainly what size tires is on that jeep and what lift (make and size)
I'm looking to get this done soon, my ol' lady is becoming a big pain in the, well you know lol

StrizzyChris

This is the complete parts list for that jeep

http://wayalife.com/content.php?30-Lil’-Nemo-Specs-SOLD

BUT the build sheet, i think, is at the jeeps final stage and says nittos. I believe the tires in the pic you posted are goodyear mtr KEV 35's. I cant zoom enough to see clearley in the pics though. I cant speak on the lift being used but It looks like 2.5" to 3.5".

And as stated previously you can easily go with a 35" tire, 3" lift, gusset your factory axles, and use your stock rims and be done with your build. picking which of all those parts would be up to your preferences and what you will be taking your jeep through.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Strizzy, Thank for the info and i hope you're camping trip was fun!

I'd still like info on the picture of the Jeep i posted up on page 1. mainly what size tires is on that jeep and what lift (make and size)
I'm looking to get this done soon, my ol' lady is becoming a big pain in the, well you know lol

Here is the thread on Jk-Forum about the lift and tires on Nemo at the time the pic was taken..
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-show-tel...o-stage-1-ome-long-travel-kit-35-mt-rs-90536/

main.php

It is a 3" OME Long Travel Kit & 35" MT/R's

And here is the thread with the added bumpers...
http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-show-tell-33/lil-nemo-gets-lil-makeover-133505/

main.php

gonzo

You guys are awesome!!!!!
Thanks very much for all the info!!! Cant wait to get some of this done!!!

Top Bottom