Question about control arms

jeepj

Hi all,

This may seem like a stupid noob question but I currently have a bilstein gas charged steering stabilizer and like many others, I have a pull to the left and it is getting super annoying. Also, I can turn my wheel about a quarter in any direction without affecting the steering.

Now my question is will front lower adjustable control arms fix my issues with the leftward pull and flighty steering? My lift did not come with adjustable arms.

Thank you all!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Control arms would fix your caster for the "flighty" feeling, but do nothing for the push your ss I'd giving you. You still have the factory one?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

This may seem like a stupid noob question but I currently have a bilstein gas charged steering stabilizer and like many others, I have a pull to the left and it is getting super annoying. Also, I can turn my wheel about a quarter in any direction without affecting the steering.

Now my question is will front lower adjustable control arms fix my issues with the leftward pull and flighty steering? My lift did not come with adjustable arms.

Thank you all!

Installing adjustable front lower control arms to add a bit more positive caster will help address flighty steering at highway speeds but will NOT address your pull. Did your kit come with a dropped pitman arm? If so, that would explain your ability to turn your wheel with no effect and flighty steering as well. More than likely, it isn't a tight fit and is allowing for slop.

jeepj

Unfortunately I had the steering stabilizer installed professionally with my lift and I do not have the stock stabilizer.

I will definitely be investing in some adjustable control arms to address the steering. What brand do you all recommend?

As for the dropped pitman arm, my pro comp 2.5 lift kit didn't come with one. Is there any way to fix the pull that the ss creates?

Thanks

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Unfortunately I had the steering stabilizer installed professionally with my lift and I do not have the stock stabilizer.

I will definitely be investing in some adjustable control arms to address the steering. What brand do you all recommend?

As for the dropped pitman arm, my pro comp 2.5 lift kit didn't come with one. Is there any way to fix the pull that the ss creates?

Thanks

currie front lca and a factory steering stabilizer.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Any standard hydro stabilizer like a Rancho or stock will do the job. They are cheap and readily available and really, all you need.

To be clear, it will NOT fix the dead spot in your steering, just help mitigate flightiness at highway speeds. I personally like Currie arms but have run Full Traction and JKS with good results too.

I would also check your front track bar bolts as if they are loose enough to cause shifting, that will allow for a dead spot too. The pull can be fixed by replacing your SS.

Rebel JK

By gas charged do you mean sealed or nitrogen (adjustable) charged? On the nitro charged if you run on the higher psi range it will definitely push.

jeepj

But if I take it off wouldn't I need to put the stock one back on? Or could I theoretically just run without one at all?

Btw thanks everyone for the help!

Moochie

But if I take it off wouldn't I need to put the stock one back on? Or could I theoretically just run without one at all?

Btw thanks everyone for the help!

Try it and see if it gets rid of the pull. I always used the stock stabilizer. If it's better without the Bilstein gas charged, just put your stock one back on.

jeepj

I'll run it without the ss and tighten all of the trackbar bolts to spec and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thank you all for the help!

munstie

You can run without the steering stabilizer, without any issues. All the stabilizer does is help with bump steer.

Sent from the"Zone of Influence"

Hack12

Well then, I just bought a Bilstein steering stabilizer with a relocation bracket and was planning on installing it next week.

Is it a bad product?

munstie

Well then, I just bought a Bilstein steering stabilizer with a relocation bracket and was planning on installing it next week.

Is it a bad product?

Not necessarily a bad product, they are just known to cause a push in the steering. The stock stabilizer is sufficient for most builds.

Hack12

Not necessarily a bad product, they are just known to cause a push in the steering. The stock stabilizer is sufficient for most builds.

Good to know. I think I'll just return the kit and put that $100 into something else.

jeepj

Yeah, I was duped into it by the people at 4WP as I described flighty steering, and it only made my steering worse

munstie

If everything is adjusted correctly you really don't need the stabilizer, It will mask problems but it's main purpose is the bump steer.

Top Bottom