Switching to Mobil 1

scotiez

I bought my JK in October of 2013 with 32,000 miles on it. I did the carfax thing and my JK was a Florida Jeep its entire life until it went up for auction and my dealer purchased it and brought it to North Dakota, and then I bought it. Since buying this I have read many threads about the 3.8 and Oil consumption, so I have been keeping a close eye on this. Not knowing when the oil was changed last after buying this I put on about 1500 miles and my oil dropped about 3/4 of a quart. I decided to change the oil then and put in the 5w20 recommended in the manual. I have now over a thousand miles on that oil and its only down about 1/4 of a quart. So after having many vehicles in my life I feel the oil is tolerable for that amount of consumption. My question is most of my vehicles have had Mobil one 5w30 in them and I love that oil, especially for the winter months in North Dakota. Have any of you switched from the dyno 5w20 oil to Mobil 1 5w30 and regretted it? My JK now has 35000 miles on it, Switching to a full synthetic oil I don't think would hurt anything. Also going up from the 5w20 to 5w30 might slow or even stop the little bit of oil consumption I do have. What are your thoughts and do you agree or disagree with what I am thinking about doing?

noroad

I bought my JK in October of 2013 with 32,000 miles on it. I did the carfax thing and my JK was a Florida Jeep its entire life until it went up for auction and my dealer purchased it and brought it to North Dakota, and then I bought it. Since buying this I have read many threads about the 3.8 and Oil consumption, so I have been keeping a close eye on this. Not knowing when the oil was changed last after buying this I put on about 1500 miles and my oil dropped about 3/4 of a quart. I decided to change the oil then and put in the 5w20 recommended in the manual. I have now over a thousand miles on that oil and its only down about 1/4 of a quart. So after having many vehicles in my life I feel the oil is tolerable for that amount of consumption. My question is most of my vehicles have had Mobil one 5w30 in them and I love that oil, especially for the winter months in North Dakota. Have any of you switched from the dyno 5w20 oil to Mobil 1 5w30 and regretted it? My JK now has 35000 miles on it, Switching to a full synthetic oil I don't think would hurt anything. Also going up from the 5w20 to 5w30 might slow or even stop the little bit of oil consumption I do have. What are your thoughts and do you agree or disagree with what I am thinking about doing?

I have a 2012 so a little different but I run the 5w30 full synthetic mobile one 15000 mile garanteed in my jeeps loved it switched at 5000mile on my jeep have 36000 now. I can say that i never have to add oil but i only wait 10000 mile and then change i have changed it 3 times with the full synethetic. it is pretty well priced to 5 qts for 27 bucks at walmart i bought like 6 to keep me covered for a long time! also when switching to full synthetic you might want to use a cheap one run it for about 2000 miles then switch to the mobile one stuff, that being beacuse synthetic oil flows differently in the engine and it might free some bad build up and get sucked in the engines small wholes.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I have ran Mobil 1 5W-30 since the 10,000 mile mark for over 40,000 miles now on my 2010 with no oil use or issues.

jeeeep

Hooked
2010, 92k miles - switched to Mobile1 5w-30 from 5w-20 at about 63k miles after noticing oil consumption going up between changes, much better now.

scotiez

2010, 92k miles - switched to Mobile1 5w-30 from 5w-20 at about 63k miles after noticing oil consumption going up between changes, much better now.

That's what I wanted to hear. This is my 1st and only vehicle that recommended 5w20 motor oil, my personal feeling about this is "Its toooo thin" The auto industry has been putting thinner and thinner oils in place of what should be ran to meet the governments standard to squeeze out as much fuel mileage as possible. I know the difference between 5w20 and 5w30 is not that much but when 5w20 has been proven in oil tests to reduce the longevity in the engines life by as much as 30%, that seems to be a lot to me. Also I used to not believe in the benefits of synthetic oil but seeing proof when the temps are -20 and you have to get to work you want an oil that lubricates your engine fast and mobil 1 will do that where dyno oil will not. My JK is not under any type of warranty so I am going to try the Mobil 1 5w30, but I will probably stick to 3 to 5000 mile changes. I don't care if it cost more I just want the best possible lubrication when the temps plummet below 0 like they do in North Dakota. Also maybe the slightly heavier weight will stop the small amount of consumption I do have.
Please continue to leave me your comments though. I would like to hear what you all do think.

jeeeep

Hooked
also recommend the WIX or Mopar oil filter, some of the others I've used caused dry starts if I let it sit for several days-- 3 days or more.

Riley Moss

Okay I've been running mobile one full synthetic 5w-20 and I've noticed last oil change that I was a quart low checked for leaks nothing so could it be that it is too thin?

toxicwaste29

I use mobil 1 full synthetic in my 3.6 and it runs great and I never needed to add more. I change it whenever the computer decides it is time.

Top Bottom