AEV 3.5" Dual Sport lift?

Ant's JK

I was considering the aev dual sport 3.5'' lift. Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts, advice or experiences with them and is it worth getting?

2014billet

Been looking into the same lift. I've seen info on many different lifts here, but not much on AEV.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ldogg

I thought about going 3.5 with my 2 door but ended up with the 2.5 RS. My rig doesn't see the trail as often as I would like as I have work and youth sports commitments, so it's main function is my daily driver. I have seen a handful of 2 doors with the 3.5 and it looks nice. I was concerned about the rear axle not being centered in the wheel wheel, and didn't want a new front drive shaft so I opted for the smaller lift. From what I have heard when researching their lifts handle fantastic on road and were run through Chrysler's proving grounds test track. They may not get as much flex as other kits but it depends on YOUR needs there. Also from what I have heard, if you run lite they can be stiff. They were designed for a fully upfitted JK from AEV. That means their bumpers, winch, hood, corners, fuel caddy, hi lift mount, and hard top. I haven't had a chance to install my lift so I can only tell you info I have heard. Best bet would be to find a local and get a ride or drive it to see if you like it. :)

CerOf

It's fairly simple, straight forward lift that will run 99% of the trails out there. Mine is a daily driver. The springs are stiffer than others. The ride has been termed "euro-firm" and I'd agree. Maintenance is easy. At 3.5" you will need a new front shaft eventually.
When we travel, it is heavy, fully loaded. I appreciate the way it handles a full load.

Try to find some folks in your area with various lifted JKs to see what you like. Ride is quite subjective.

You lose about 1.5" ground clearance right at the drop brackets. For me, this is no issue. Hasn't stopped me, but I also don't hit rock gardens and the like.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

ZuidJK

I am running the AEV 3.5 RS lift and what I can tell you is that I don't have any other experiences with other lifts on a jk, but the on road handling is ok. It feels quite close to a factory ride.. But for the money I really don't think it's worth it. Cost me way too much comparing it to other companies in which most cases you get way more ( adjustable control arms, sway bar disconnects, etc.) now that I'm wheeling more to I am stuck wanting more articulation and the off-road performance isn't that awesome at all. Also if you have a 2 door your going to end up spending more money on rear upper control arms because after running this lift for only about a year and a half I have blown out a rear u joint on my driveshaft because of a horrible pinion angle.
But like I said I haven't rode in jeeps with any other lifts so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ride quality is subjective. That point aside, I have never understood the point in dropping that kind of coin to get crappy brackets that flex sideways under hard articulation. Adjustable control arms are a much better way to go. If you must use drop brackets, I'd go with Rancho's. They are less expensive but stronger.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ride quality is subjective. That point aside, I have never understood the point in dropping that kind of coin to get crappy brackets that flex sideways under hard articulation. Adjustable control arms are a much better way to go. If you must use drop brackets, I'd go with Rancho's. They are less expensive but stronger.

Agreed ^^^

If you're really wanting to install drop brackets on your Jeep, I would highly recommend that you give the Rancho Sport kit a look. Basically the same kit, built better and stronger, comes with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, is way more affordable and bets of all, you will get a $400 check card that you can use on other upgrades like an EVO drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket or forward it toward a new drive shaft.

bthomas

FWIW- I have had the AEV 2.5 in lift with the drop brackets on my 2 dr for about two years. As far as the brackets, I can't speak to the on road performance without them as I installed them with the lift at the same time. I can tell you they drop the LCA about 2 1/2 inches or so. As a result I have drug them & the LCA's quite a bit in the rocks. They haven't bent.....yet. I think I am going to take them off before that happens. The newer versions have the plates bolted together at one end, but they're still not as stout looking as the Rancho units. As far as the lift goes, ride is nice on road, maybe a little stiff, but I don't have a ton of weight on the Jeep yet. As far as off road, it's pretty good, again a bit stiff. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd look elsewhere. I think the AEV stuff is nice & of good quality, but I also think you can get a better set up with less or the same money spent with other brands. I think AEV has a pretty dialed marketing program! Hope this helps. :beer:

Last edited:

CerOf

2.5" reduced ground clearance. One spot on either side.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395100480.019574.jpg
I think if this one spot hangs you up you likely have other issues.

It is definately one more item/part that could fail.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
2.5" reduced ground clearance. One spot on either side.

I think if this one spot hangs you up you likely have other issues.

Well, I guess I have other issues then. Even without the 2.5" loss in ground clearance, I've managed to get hung up on my factory lower control arm mounts and near about tore one off in the past...

ca-mount.jpg

Not saying they don't work, I just have a hard time understanding why anyone would spend $1000 or more to get your belly 2.5" off the ground, only to purposefully lower the one spot that is most likely to get hit, 2.5" back down again. Of course, that's just me and I probably just have other issues. :)

Rideski

I have the AEV 2.5" kit and had I known that the brkts dropped the control arms, as much as they do, I probably would have gone with a different kit. When I bought the kit through Northridge they told me that the brkts were optional which is why I had to buy them separately. That said, I really like the way this kit improved my on-road handling (w/Bilstein's) and I am pleased with the off-road performance but that's not based against any other kit.

I've used the 2.5" AEV lift and the control arm brackets on my last two JKs. Like has been said above, if you wheel it really hard you certainly can do some damage. I'm not too crazy with the banging around and limit my trips to Colorado and Moab a few times each year so I've never experienced any issues what so ever. I also stay with 35" tires.

If you are going 37"+ height tires and are going to seek out the body damage type trails, AEV is not your lift. If you are going to do what the strong majority of Jeeps do in Colorado and Moab you will absolutely love the lift and the on road performance offered by the lower control arm correction.

My opinion and experience only, you may have different results.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again, never said that the drop brackets don't work but, if you're really gonna go this route, I personally would recommend that you give the Rancho Sport kit a look instead. The kit is very similar in design, made in the USA and comes with much stronger brackets. Of course, the best part is that it costs a fraction of the price. EVEN IF you were to add in the cost of an EVO drag link flip and an AEV ProCal, both of which are not needed but will make this more of an apples to apples comparison, you still come out ahead by about $300. Now, throw in the $400 check card rebate and you're saving BIG TIME money.

AEV 3.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks and drop brackets = $1725
Rancho 4" Sport kit with 7000 MT shocks + EVO drag link flip & ProCal = $1420 - $400 Rebate = $1020

Of course, if you're looking more in the 2.5"-3" range:

AEV 2.5" lift with drop brackets = $1060
Rancho 3" Sport kit with 7000 MT shocks with AEV drop brackets = $760 - $400 Rebate = $360

Just trying to put things into perspective.

Ant's JK

Thanks everyone for the information and pictures. It really helps. Does anyone have experience with Clayton lifts also?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't live around big rocks and my control arm mounts look like pretzels!

I know there are some who think you need to armor up the bottom of your Jeep so that you can hit and slide "over" obstacles but, if you're placing your tires "on" the obstacle like you should and to let things like your rocker guards and frame rails take the hits, it doesn't take much to pretzel up your lower control arm mounts.

Thanks everyone for the information and pictures. It really helps. Does anyone have experience with Clayton lifts also?

I've installed their kit in the past and the quality is all there. I'm not a fan of their long arm kit but only because I'm not a fan of radius arm designs.

Rideski

Are there options for dumping the ctrl arm brkts and going with something else or is it a complete rip and replace of the AEV set up?

Ant's JK

No, unfortunately you have to use the brackets with their lift.

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are there options for dumping the ctrl arm brkts and going with something else or is it a complete rip and replace of the AEV set up?

Well, they do just bolt on and you really don't have to install them. You can install a set of adjustable lower control arms (the better way to go) instead but then, that would kind of defeat the purpose of buying an expensive lift kit only to spend more money on parts that it didn't come with.

Top Bottom