Seat Removal - 08 Unlimited

tonytony9

Dear Forums,

I need to remove both my front seats in order to remove water from underneath the carpeting. After input from the forums I have narrowed it down to either the door seals slowly leaking or snow melting. In either case it is no evaporating and must be removed. The water is sitting underneath the floor mats right in front of the seat to be more specific. At my current location I do not have all of my tools; so I am having them brought over to where I am.

Can someone please list the tools I am going to need in order to remove the two front seats (maybe back). In addition how to take the seat belt off the seat. I would like to take them both out of my jeep this way I have optimum room. I measured the bolts and I believe I need either a 14mm or 17mm socket.

Can someone confirm the bolt sizes/tools I am going to need. Remember all I am doing is getting rid of the water. Not replacing the seals yet. And I will be using a shop vac most likely.

Thank you,
Tony

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You can get the carpet out without removing the seats. You may need to cut along the split lines in the carpet as it is only partially cut from the factory. The seat bolts are really tight and if you are just removing water that's a lot of work to shop vac it out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

tonytony9

You can get the carpet out without removing the seats. You may need to cut along the split lines in the carpet as it is only partially cut from the factory. The seat bolts are really tight and if you are just removing water that's a lot of work to shop vac it out.

I had a major leak in a 325i bmw convertible once and the shop vac did the trick. I will try to do the job without removing the seats first as you suggested. The water is sitting underneath the floor mats right in front of the seat to be more specific.

jeeeep

Hooked
x2 just follow the cut marks in the carpet and pull it out.

If you want to remove the seats, don't remove them from the floor there are nuts under the seat you can remove using a 1/2" wrench (6 on passenger, 8 on drivers)

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Under the front carpet there is another material used to quiet road noise. See pic. This stuff really holds water bad. You pretty much need to yank the carpet to dry it good or it will take a long time with shop vac.

1394988284650.jpg

UNLIMITED_FUN

All the organic funk that was already in the carpet is going to make them smell bad pretty quickly. I cleaned mine with some Tide detergent in the driveway, used some Lysol and Fabreeze and let them drip dry for about 30 minutes.

Once most of the water drips out, you can use a box fan directly in front to wick them dry.

tonytony9

So, you are saying I would have to cut right here correct? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1394994558.448762.jpg

I believe that location is what is preventing me from moving the carpet forward. I couldn't just remove the bolts and rock the chair back?

UNLIMITED_FUN

Yup that's the place.

Are these the stock seats? Man I wouldn't take that bolt out. On mine the former owner put in Corbeau seats and getting that frame rail exactly back and the bolt in is a PITA.

That tiny little piece of carpet can be torn by hand, and isn't really noticeable when you put it back in.

tonytony9

I believe they are the stock seats - bought the car used! I did take up the passenger side seat two weekends ago with no problem. So I guess I will attempt to just rip that little slit.

Top Bottom