Bedlining the grill?

JK Alec

Thinking about bedlining my grill but not for sure yet. Anyone have any pictures/tips to do it right? I know how to do it, just tips to make sure it's done right.

David1tontj

Thinking about bedlining my grill but not for sure yet. Anyone have any pictures/tips to do it right? I know how to do it, just tips to make sure it's done right.

I haven't done it, but I've seen guys use plasti-dip, that way if you don't like it you can just peel it off!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

loscann48

Not the best photos, but those were taken today and yesterday....I used plasti-dip when I did it back in July or June. Wanted to do bedliner but wasn't 100% sure, so I dipped, and its lasted this long with only 2 minor tuch ups. I will be bedlining when this starts looking bad. Most people spray the whole thing, but I taped off the inside parts of the lights to be a little different and have some highlights....wasnt sure at first if I liked it, but it quickly grew on me. I actually get a lot od people that notice and compliment the fact that I left a little color. As for process....go to hardware store, spend $7 on one rattle can of plasti-dip, remove grill and clean, spray 4+ coats on. Don't go heavy on the coats, at first it looks like junk, but as coats build it looks great.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1395113566780.jpg
    1395113566780.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 1395113590516.jpg
    1395113590516.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

loscann48

OK found a pic from the day it was done....lied a bit about the date, it was done Aug. 10...still not bad for longevity. 1395115057875.jpg , that's my rig with the highlights around the lights. 1395115104484.jpg , that's not mine, but belongs to Cozdude (hope you don't mind me reposting). I think this is gives you a good look, both rigs are the same color, I left highlights, Cozdude, like many, sprayed the whole thing.

If you are not sure, just dip it. Only costs a flew bucks and if you decide you don't like it....just peel it off!

YoungFire

Wow these look awesome! and potentially something I'll be trying on my own now.
Haha may even have to bring my own rig to the next NE suds-n-grub =)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Haha I don't mind at all!

As mentioned make sure your first two coats are light coats and then you can go a little heavier after that. I did 5 coats all together and have had it on for almost a year. Haven't had to touch it up at all year.

For $7 a can from lowes or Home Depot you can't beat it

Sent from my iPhone

noroad

As mentioned make sure your first two coats are light coats and then you can go a little heavier after that. I did 5 coats all together and have had it on for almost a year. Haven't had to touch it up at all year.

Sent from my iPhone

Have u ever pressure washed it or gone through a car wash?? I am just wondering if it can stand up to a cleaning after a hard day out!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Have u ever pressure washed it or gone through a car wash?? I am just wondering if it can stand up to a cleaning after a hard day out!

yes plenty of times! i actually just got done pressure washing my jeep lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
cool do bugs (i know its winter) wash off ok i have a crap ton here in in NH that love to fly into my jeep!

i know your pain. when i go down to the delaware beaches in the spring/summer/fall my grill looks like a graveyard, but yea they come off easy. i usually get as much off as i can with the power washer then i take a sponge to it to get the rest.

loscann48

I probably won't redo it before GTD in May, so you can take a look at how its holding up on mine. I pressure wash it all the time, and I've even gently scrubbed off some bugs, but depending on what you scrub with and how hard you scrub it will come off. That's why I've had to touch it up once or twice. Touch ups are only noticeable for a few weeks.

patr1ckm

Sent from my iPhone

Did you use adhesion promoter before applying the plastidip?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Did you use adhesion promoter before applying the plastidip?

Nope. Just cleaned the grill really really good. Used some bug and tar remover spray from turtle wax and plasti-dips pre spray cleaner which is basically a mix of water and ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone

loscann48

Nope. Just cleaned the grill really really good. Used some bug and tar remover spray from turtle wax and plasti-dips pre spray cleaner which is basically a mix of water and ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone

X2- that is all I did. You really can't go wrong. A few hours of time to apply the $7.00 worth of plastidip, and if you don't like it, or you screw it up....just peel it off!:beer:

Top Bottom