My fuel transfer solution

jeff_in_rc

I have always wanted a better way of putting the gas I carry into my Jeep without having to loosen my spare to get my jerry can out and thought, what about an electric fuel pump? No more lifting the can, spilling some and smelling like gas for the rest of the day. Not to mention those damned C.A.R.B. compliant gas cans they sell now in the wonderful state of California. What a giant PITA!!

So I got to thinking, how could I use the power connector for the hard top my Jeep used to have? That started a search for the 6 pin male connector I would need. Well after calling/emailing several Jeep junkyards I had a real problem paying $75.00 for a used OEM harness that I would have to cut up. I had found on one of the many Jeep boards I belong to a wiring diagram for the power connector so I was part way there.

I finally got to go to a small local junkyard and after explaining what I needed he sent me out with an employee in tow. We looked over several Dodge Caravans and some older Jeeps to no avail but then while looking over a Dodge Durango I found the exact connector I needed, hell it even had a cap on it so the connectors were perfectly clean, sweet! So I cut off a pair of connectors, paid my $30.00 and was on my way.

Stopped by O’Reilly Auto Parts and picked up a high volume electric fuel pump, 10’ of fuel hose, a toggle switch, and a set of hose clamps. Then I stopped off at Home Depot and picked up a small tool bag to put everything in. Got home and verified I had my power and ground on the proper pins and wired up the switch and pump. Installed the pump on a piece of wood I had, cut the fuel hose to length and tested my setup by pumping the last 2 gallons out of one of the jerry cans.

Well it worked perfectly and the pump is very quiet, hardly makes any noise at all. Now if I go on longer trips where I need extra fuel it will be simple to re-fuel my Jeep without have to pick up any of the cans.

In case you need it here is the wiring pin out for the 6 pin female connector in the tub:

1) Black with white stripe - 12 VDC for defroster
2) UNUSED
3) Brown with green stripe – 12 VDC for wiper
4) Brown with pink stripe – Wiper Park
5) Brown with pink stripe – Wiper Park
6) Black – ground

For the male connector I got:

1) Red - 12 VDC for defroster
2) Violet with red - UNUSED
3) Tan – 12 VDC for wiper
4) Black with yellow stripe – Wiper Park
5) UNUSED
6) Black – ground

The first pic is of the tub connector, the second pic is of the tub connector and the pump, and the third is of the basic setup when in use. So I have $30 for the junkyard find, $60 for the pump and hose and $10 for the tool bag for a total of $100, not too bad in my book and I am sure some of you can find parts cheaper but hey, I live in a small isolated desert community.

So there you have it, what do you think?

tub connector.jpg pump and connector.jpg overall pic.jpg

jeff_in_rc

Thanks guys! My biggest complaint with pouring the fuel in is those damned C.A.R.B. compliant spouts that are spring loaded, you leak more fuel than using an old rusted out jerry can spout! :cheesy:

holaCG

That is pretty cool. A friend of mine told me about something called a shaker or super siphon (~$10 on amazon, highly recommended) that works great but I still have to set my can on my spare for gravity to do its thing. No spilled fuel but not as effortless. Great job.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys! My biggest complaint with pouring the fuel in is those damned C.A.R.B. compliant spouts that are spring loaded, you leak more fuel than using an old rusted out jerry can spout! :cheesy:

Awesome idea!!!! Just hope your pump doesn't crap out in you!! Those auto parts pumps are junk!!!

jeff_in_rc

That is pretty cool. A friend of mine told me about something called a shaker or super siphon (~$10 on amazon, highly recommended) that works great but I still have to set my can on my spare for gravity to do its thing. No spilled fuel but not as effortless. Great job.

Awesome idea!!!! Just hope your pump doesn't crap out in you!! Those auto parts pumps are junk!!!

Thanks guys! :standing wave:

Harbor Frieght has the Jiggler Pump for about $15 and I have one as a backup but the can sits low enough on the bumper that I can only get about 3 gallons out of the can.
So with my electric and Jiggler pumps I should be covered! :clap2:

Woody3

Great idea Jeff!!

Not to hijack but to add some info to the thread....

Do any of you know if an inline automotive fuel pump would work? I'm sure a junk yard would be full of those. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Jeff!

Another way I thought of to pump is, to use the pigtail from your tow connection. I use the 7-way in my truck bed to pump the 100 gallons of water for my horses when we camp with them. I carry two 50 gal barrels in the bed laying down under the gooseneck, and just put a cheap Harbor Freight water pump on a board like you did, and only use the two nesessary power wires in the plug ( I cut off the unnessesary ones), to power the pump. Then since I already have the 7-way in the bed for the trailer lights, I just plug in, and flip the toggle, pump their buckets full, and it's good. Seems like it only cost about $7.00 for the connector, and the pump was less than $25, so has worked for about 3 years now. Of course you cannot use a water pump for pumping fuel, but using the tow connector, and only wiring the two power leads might save having to get a $30 special connector.

Dave, (Mojavedave), and I missed you last week at Bonanza, but we did get to go to the Trona Pinnacles. Dave and his Dad Bill were quite thrilled with the "moonscape" out there, but we only had about 2 hrs exploration, as we had to motor back home, and it was quite late.

I am thinking we need to go to the Los Padres area next. The trails should open April 1, and the camping at Halfmoon, or even Lockwood, should be nice.

Ok, well... talk more on the flip-flop, and keep in touch.

Steve ;)

jeff_in_rc

Great idea Jeff!!

Not to hijack but to add some info to the thread....

Do any of you know if an inline automotive fuel pump would work? I'm sure a junk yard would be full of those. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I have is an in-line pump so yes if you find one that works it would do the job.

Hey Jeff!

Another way I thought of to pump is, to use the pigtail from your tow connection. I use the 7-way in my truck bed to pump the 100 gallons of water for my horses when we camp with them. I carry two 50 gal barrels in the bed laying down under the gooseneck, and just put a cheap Harbor Freight water pump on a board like you did, and only use the two nesessary power wires in the plug ( I cut off the unnessesary ones), to power the pump. Then since I already have the 7-way in the bed for the trailer lights, I just plug in, and flip the toggle, pump their buckets full, and it's good. Seems like it only cost about $7.00 for the connector, and the pump was less than $25, so has worked for about 3 years now. Of course you cannot use a water pump for pumping fuel, but using the tow connector, and only wiring the two power leads might save having to get a $30 special connector.

Dave, (Mojavedave), and I missed you last week at Bonanza, but we did get to go to the Trona Pinnacles. Dave and his Dad Bill were quite thrilled with the "moonscape" out there, but we only had about 2 hrs exploration, as we had to motor back home, and it was quite late.

I am thinking we need to go to the Los Padres area next. The trails should open April 1, and the camping at Halfmoon, or even Lockwood, should be nice.

Ok, well... talk more on the flip-flop, and keep in touch.

Steve ;)

Well since my Jeep does not have the 7 pin connector I can't do that but your idea is a good one as well. You are using the charge leads huh? Easy peasy!
Missed you guys too but I got the Jeep repaired for a lot less than I thought so I am GOOD!

See ya!

Top Bottom