Speedo off

Sugarbear

Ok I got 315/75/16 bfg mud terrains I measured the tire at 34.50 so that's what I put into my flashcal but according to my GPS I'm going 3MPH faster then the gps says any tips?

MountainRambler

Most GPS systems are not that accurate it is quite possible for your speedo to be +/- 3MPH different from your GPS. Make sure you double check your tire diameter measurement on the outer, middle, and inner parts of the tire. :thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
you measured from the ground up to the edge of the tire, not the center height? I ended up adjusting the size down until I got a match on GPS then checked it with a mile marker test line (I found one on a side freeway), if I recall I ended up entering a size down of almost 2 inches

I've also tested against those electronic speed signs - the ones that let you know how fast you are going.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok I got 315/75/16 bfg mud terrains I measured the tire at 34.50 so that's what I put into my flashcal but according to my GPS I'm going 3MPH faster then the gps says any tips?

So on my 315/75r16 mud grapplers I measured 35.25 at 28 psi. Make sure you have your tires pressure right where you want it, then measure from the ground to the bottom of the tread where it meets the sidewall. This will give you the most accurate measurement.

Sent from my iPhone

T&ERun

LOSER
Measure from the ground up to the center of the wheel. Multiply by two and use that as your tire diameter. Close as you'll get without doing the "chalk test".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
GPS's are actually pretty damn accurate or at least, mine are and it should be a good indicator as to whether or not your speedo is off. As mentioned, you need to measure from the ground to the edge of the tread or to the center of the wheel and X2. Both will give you the correct number you need to plug into the programmer. DO NOT put in what is written on the side wall or what it "should" be based on a chart or online calculator.

Brankz

Can you post a pic of your tire? 34.5 it's like the smallest 37s.
My next tire may be 315/75/16

MountainRambler

GPS's are actually pretty damn accurate or at least, mine are and it should be a good indicator as to whether or not your speedo is off. As mentioned, you need to measure from the ground to the edge of the tread or to the center of the wheel and X2. Both will give you the correct number you need to plug into the programmer. DO NOT put in what is written on the side wall or what it "should" be based on a chart or online calculator.

Upon further study I made a bad assumption :doh: GPS are accurate within +/- 3 feet for your position, when it comes to speed Wayoflife is exactly right they are pretty damn accurate. GPS speed calculations are accurate to within +/- 0.1 MPH at constant velocity. Sorry for the bad information, Next time I'll double check before posting.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Can you post a pic of your tire? 34.5 it's like the smallest 37s.
My next tire may be 315/75/16

here you go brankz. this is mine with the same dimensions

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372253274.052981.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372253274.052981.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375192347.700001.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1375192347.700001.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 46
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383595555.903695.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383595555.903695.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 45