Grille Issues

theilkjam

I have a 2009 JKU Sahara. It came with the factory chrome grille and I hate it. Does anyone know of a way to paint over it. I've read plast-dip works well but I'm worried it will clash with my black jeep if they aren't the same finish. If anyone has a black grille and wants a chrome grille I would be willing to trade! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1395284945.263221.jpg

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I have a 2009 JKU Sahara. It came with the factory chrome grille and I hate it. Does anyone know of a way to paint over it. I've read plast-dip works well but I'm worried it will clash with my black jeep if they aren't the same finish. If anyone has a black grille and wants a chrome grille I would be willing to trade! View attachment 74583

You could scuff it and paint over it as would be the way to do it if it were painted red and you wanted it black. Only thing I would be worried about is if the chrome ended up lifting eventually, your paint would go with it. Best advice is to find a black one on craigslist or someone who is willing to trade. I personally hate the chrome look also. That's why I sold the first set of wheels I had on my JK, because they were chrome.

JK Alec

I have a 2009 JKU Sahara. It came with the factory chrome grille and I hate it. Does anyone know of a way to paint over it. I've read plast-dip works well but I'm worried it will clash with my black jeep if they aren't the same finish. If anyone has a black grille and wants a chrome grille I would be willing to trade! View attachment 74583

The plastidip won't hurt anything, it'll peel right off of the paint. But if you're worried about it, take it off and sand it down real good to where it looks dull and start spraying it

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As other have mentioned do plastidip. Mtg said it best the if worst comes to worst you out $6.

I personally have seen some black jeeps who plast dipped their grill and it looks good IMO

Sent from my iPhone

DMF

I've seen a few car that had plasti-dip clear coat spray onto of the regular stuff and it look great imo. Couldn't even tell when walking up to it.

Chrysler has a fish eye or orange peel additive to the paint. if you look close at the factory paint you will see it. If the grill is plastic or fiberglass you should be able to scuff prime and paint. I would stongly recomment the primer as it will give an added layer so the shiney stuff does not show through. Another though would be to contact you local dealer or body shop to see if they have one laying around they would like to sell at a discount or even trade.

R/
Will

Top Bottom